My New Kxk Guitar

westhemann

okay well...it arrived yesterday and i have had a full day to take in the guitar.

the overall look of this thing is astounding...it is flashy and metal all at the same time...the "blood" tips are metallic paint,so i assume they would really stand out under stage lighting.

the inlays are cool as hell...skull and brains...how can you beat that? :D

when i first opened the case(came with a road case..very secure)all i did was stare at it for a minute...it was everything i had hoped it would be...

so i strapped it up(flushmounted dunlop straplocks)and put it on...this was the really amazing part...the guitar balances perfectly...and it is so light and small that it stays wherever you put it...even if you point the neck straight up,it stays.no side pull at all that i can feel on the strap.

here is the best part..this thing is super playable...the way the guitar is designed makes complete access everywhere as easy as...well...vankirk's sister... :D (don't worry...inside joke...i know vankirk has the sense of humor to not mind)

playing this thing standing up is as comfortable as just walking around idly in the mall...it feels like,as chandler on friends put it "the thing that has been missing from my hand"

okay..now for the "flaws"...only one minor,minor thing that could be improved.it needs a string tree or a greater headstock angle,because the string break over the locking nut does not match the nut,so when you clamp the locking nut,it pulls it out of tune,so you have to compensate for that.i will be installing a string tree this weekend,so that i can take care of that,for my own piece of mind.i emailed rob and let him know my opinion on that,and he emailed me back with his understanding of the problem..i don't know if he plans on adding a string tree in the future to this model...but i think it would take care of the ONLY thing on this guitar that could be improved,as i see it.

now here is the best thing about this guitar...the ease of customer service with rob himself.the man never let 24 hours go by without answering an email,and always contacted me immediately with any problems or questions...he added 2 extra frets from the standard model and used honduran mahogany for the wings instead of maple at my request at no extra charge...and when i emailed him asking what mahogany he planned on using,he emailed me back asking "what mahogany do you WANT me to use?"...it's all about the customer with this guy...and i think he deserves to do well...and at this price...i think it is a bargain..

i paid (iirc) $1500 for this guitar with the case...best $1500 i ever spent,and though i feel i must mention the string tree(for the sake of an honest review),i do not mind one bit adding the tree myself...i feel lucky to have this guitar,and i hope sometime in the near future i can commision another...

http://www.kxkguitars.com/WF2005

this is the page of my guitar as it was built...the pic at the top is as completed....i hope rob does not mind the link

i just got back from playing it...i went in there really not feeling like playing...but it's hard to put that guitar down.

funny thing is,as easy as it plays..it still has 11s or 12s on it...he sent it downtuned...this weekend while i am tooling around with it i will set it up with my normal 9s...i bet it will fly then.

i think i forgot to mention...but it also sounds great.

Hey Wes,

How come you spec'd locking tuners WITH a locking nut? Also, I see what you mean about the headstock angle--it looks pretty shallow from the pics, do you think staggered-height tuners would help?

I gotta git me one of those pointy guitars one of these days. Now I'm going to go play my new Lester. Didn't feel like playing this evening 'til I read this thread.

Edited by crafty

Hey Wes NICE :D It's good To see it all finished!!

So what the word On the battery Box Do you like Going back and forth from

18-9 volts?

!!METAL MATT!! :D

How come you spec'd locking tuners WITH a locking nut?

that was just part of the features it came equipped with...but it makes it alot quicker to change strings

How long did it take from commission to recieving in the mail?

i want to say 7 or 8 weeks

So what the word On the battery Box Do you like Going back and forth from

18-9 volts?

that was changed last minute.he had a problem with the box ans asked me if i still wanted it that way...and since i had already tried it on that beast i built and did not like the 18 volt sound...i told him to forget about it.

as i said in the beast thread...i don't think the 18 volt is really worth it

How long did it take from commission to recieving in the mail?

i want to say 7 or 8 weeks

:D thats awesome! :D You say you 'want to say' it was 7-8 though... does that mean it was longer?

- Dan

Nice looking axe Wes! I am/was not a fan of V's but looking at them in those pics I almost wonder if they're not more comfy to play sitting down than a regular body. The V sits right on your thigh....looks like it would play nice that way for a bass player. I could get the neck up by my shoulder where I like it without holding it up......

Hey, your guitar, your money, your choice. I'm just giving my opinion that they look tacky.

and you are entitled to your opinion,of course...i just wanted to mention that rob will make that v any way you want it...don't think it would be fair to stereotype his guitars as having "tacky blood tips"

but really...i don't find them tacky at all.

did you know,by the way ,that this guitar is identical in appearance to steve swanson's guitar(of "six feet under")

this guitar apparently was designed to swanson's wishes...i just thought it looked perfect to me...i had to have one...but i did want 24 frets and mahogany wings...and no tone control.

http://kxkguitars.com/index.html

but you are right about one thing...this guitar would also look awesome just plain black...