Stripped Screws

Hey all, I recently wanted to put straplocks on my gibson sg. When i tightened down the original strap button after taking it out to size the screw, I put it back in and noticed it was slightly stripped from the factory. As i tightened it it keeps turning and turning. It is pretty ithgt but it's still loose. I WILL NOT dare risk using it in this condition. Damn Gibson factory should have corrected this during inspection, irritates me to no end. So to ask, hwo do I fix this? Can I fill the hole with gorilla glue and re-thread it? Gorilla glue is some good stong stuff...I think it would work but let me get advice first from you all. thanks

if you ever just fill a hole with glue and rethread it, use Devcon! I suggest the CORRECT way of doing it(wood glue, dowel, cut, redrill), but if you're just going to fill it and redrill it, use Devcon. It's an epoxy you can buy at lowes or homedepot. your guitar will tear the threads off of the screws before the devcon will strip. I've seen people fill holes with stripped threads in engine blocks with the stuff. But for the record, I think you will be happier in the long run doing it the right way.

I just want ot do it the right way that will work...I dont want to be the one to say..hey, i ruined my Gibson SG cuz im an idiot and dont know what im doing.

I dont know though, gorilla glue is way stronger than wood glue and a lot of epoxy's..It's good stuff but I will think this over first and take on more advice..anyone else? please!

you may think gorilla glue is stronger, but in this case YOU are wrong.(you are the weakest link, goodbye). if you ever look at how gorilla glue expands, you'll notice that it foams. It's quite porus. Now unless you're going to glue the screw into the hole, gorrilla glue is not going to work. even if you did do that, it still would probably come back out. you want to do it right. then open up the hold just a little bit, glue a dowel in the hole, then drill a new hole for the screw.

The easiest way to fix stripped holes (not stripped screws) I have found, is to simply roll some toothpicks in wood glue and then insert them in the hole. Cut flush with surface when dry, and proceed to screw your heart out!

Works like a charm........

:D

I'd personally use the toothpick method like RAI6 suggested if your scared of messing up your guitar. Either method works, but if your scared then the toothpick method will be the safest method for you. Just dip the toothpick in some Titebond glue, epoxy, or whatever glue your comfortable with. Push it into the hole, break off the end, if there is still room, repeat. Then screw the strap lock back on again. I've done that to almost every guitar I play, and after I did, I never had that problem again. Just my opinion.

Thanks guys...Actually to be honest, I think I would be MORE comfortable doing it the dowel method and knwong for sure that the screw wont come back out once put it. I'm sure the toothpick way works but im not risking my axe over that when I can do it right. what kind of wood glue do you all recomend for the dowel, and what size dowel should eb used for the ebst effect job? I know a dowel the size of the screw would be pretty much pointless, so how big? Thanks for everything though guys!

so I looked at Home depot to day at dowels. I dont have access to the same wood dowels as the guitar is so would it be dumb to use a oak dowel? The edges/bottom of the strap button will eb covering it the whole time it wont be noticed. Also, could I used gorilla glue to glue the dowel in? It's just as good if not better than any wood glue.

Oak is fine. I don't think any of us would bother to look for or pay for an ash, maple, or mahogany dowel.

I agree, it doesn't really matter. As for glue have you ever used titebond the original? I have used this and have only the best things to say about it, and I don't think it even compares to any regular wood glue. I have never used gorilla glue so I can't comment on it, but I can tell you most people that build guitars use titebond. So maybe consider trying titebond but if you feel that the gorilla glue will work better for you then go for it and let us know how it works out for you. Good luck with the repair! Jason

I took your guys advice since you know best about this stuff and bought e,m some titebond. I have a 3/8" oak dowel I will use, which is almost the EXACt size of the base of the strap button so it iwll cover it. Nobody will ever know. RExcept you all cuz I told you. I guess I will take a 3/8" bit, drill out the original screws hole and glue the dowel in. how long should I let the dowel dry in there before I drill it out and screw the button in?

I know with every question im probably sounding noob...but I am new to this so dont kill me  :D . What's the best way when redrilling to get a straight drill and screw when putting that in. Drill press is out of the question with a whole guitar.

Honestly I use a cordless drill. Make dimple in the center otf the plugged dowel using a center punch. Then start drilling at as close to straight as you can eyeball in about 1/8 inch. Then sight it fom the side and top to see if it's straight. Make corrections and keep drilling. Keep stopping and double checking untill you get to the depth.

The drill bit size should be just big enough so that when you hold the drill bit in font of the screw you can see the threads but none of the shank.