Solid Padauk Tele, Add A Flame Maple Stripe?

I have some really nice paduak blanks that i will be gluing up in the next couple of days and I was going to add a flame maple stripe down the middle? what do you think? Might look cool?

the maple stripe would be 1/4 thick.

Paduak is a solid red color for those who don't know.

I think it would look sweet. I just tried to plane a Paduak blank down for a tele neck the other day but somehow cut it too thin, oh well. I was planning on using a maple fingerboard. I think the contrast between the two colors is sweet.

Save the Flamed Maple for Fingerboards. You could Bind the body in Flame but a Center Lam would look out of place to me

I agree, I think it would look out of place as well.

But to answer your question, I would use a router with a 1/4" bit. Setup a straight edge to run the router base against, route, and glue in the stripe. Just make sure that the maple is exactly 1/4", although you will probably have to do a bit of sanding to get it to fit with glue.

I think a dark laminate would look nice, such as walnut or ebony and then use the flame for the fretboard, or some regular hard maple or birdseye. It would be a nice contrast. But you should do what you like. Maybe do paduak/walnut/flame maple/walnut/paduak laminate it might look really nice that way! Good luck with it and post some pics of the wood for us to see, all wood looks a little different and your might go together well. Jason

Edited by jmrentis

I think it would look out of place, as well as the fact that Paduak is an oily wood, and when you go to sanding the Paduak, it will 'travel' into your Maple, and you might find it difficult to get the Maple 100% cleaned out, and when you go to finish it, you might get Paduak 'streaks', or 'bleeds' into the Maple that would look narsty.

You CAN do it successfully, ...but you're adding a certain extra amount of difficulty to the build.

:D Hey Derek,

Acouple months ago, I finished a thick, chambered jazz tele for a customer with a quilted cherry body, padouk/ebony neck, and a nice strip of figured maple down the middle of the body. It is close to what you're proposing and looked great.

Peace,

Dave

I have some really nice paduak blanks that i will be gluing up in the next couple of days and I was going to add a flame maple stripe down the middle?  what do you think?  Might look cool?

the maple stripe would be 1/4 thick.

Paduak is a solid red color for those who don't know.

I think its just going to depend on what you prefer. It will be a very bold contrast, and to some it would look busy and over the top. Sometimes milder changes in color and contrast as well as texture have a classy look that appeals to some folks. On the other hand sometimes you want it to look like a flashy race car. I don't see anything wrong with it if you like the look. Place the pieces together (no glue) and see what you think. If you like it do it and to heck with what anyone else thinks.

Peace, Rich