27 Fret Neck

Ok I'm getting close to building my first neck, but I was thinking it might be a cool idea to make it 27 frets (the latter frets mainly used for harmonics and other crazy stuff).

My question- is it actually possible to make a 27 fret neck? I'm guessing yes, of course, it would be just like a 24 neck extension but longer. The scaling doesn't concern me (working it out- I'm not affraid of a bit of maths). Just checking befor I start planning such a venture. I do know it would mean you couldn't have a double humbucker body, and also an idea would be maybe to use thinner fretwire.

What do you guys think? (less of the questions as to why you need 27 frets plz).

Ok I'm getting close to building my first neck, but I was thinking it might be a cool idea to make it 27 frets (the latter frets mainly used for harmonics and other crazy stuff).

My question- is it actually possible to make a 27 fret neck? I'm guessing yes, of course, it would be just like a 24 neck extension but longer. The scaling doesn't concern me (working it out- I'm not affraid of a bit of maths). Just checking befor I start planning such a venture. I do know it would mean you couldn't have a double humbucker body, and also an idea would be maybe to use thinner fretwire.

What do you guys think? (less of the questions as to why you need 27 frets plz).

yes this would be paossable and you could have 2 numbucjers just the neck on would sound more like a middle pickup

You sure about that? Also whats the deal with angling pickups? I've seen pictures of IA's horned apple and I think thats 27 frets with an angled pickup. Kinda like this 27 fret jackson soloist I found, except the pickup was angled with the neck angle-

901.jpg

Edited by Myrk-

Also another idea, does wood on top of the pickup make a difference to the sound? Could a slit be carved out of the neck and a pickup placed litterally in the neck (minding the truss rod).

im not sure nut if you did put a pickup in a necj you would have to get some ong screw and replace the ones in the pickup allready so the can get closer to the strings, then drill 6 holes in the fret boared to fit the screws

There have been a few companies that have made 27 fret guitars, as well as 29, 30 and 32 frets.....

steve

Also another idea, does wood on top of the pickup make a difference to the sound? Could a slit be carved out of the neck and a pickup placed litterally in the neck (minding the truss rod).

You would have a hard time getting the pickup close enough to the strings to get decent volume. You would also have to lower the bridge pickup in order to keep the two volume levels more or less equal.

You sure about that? Also whats the deal with angling pickups? I've seen pictures of IA's horned apple and I think thats 27 frets with an angled pickup. Kinda like this 27 fret jackson soloist I found, except the pickup was angled with the neck angle-

Angled pickups like the Kramer soloists from the 80s? I think its got something to do with increasing the bass string response. Thats what I was told. Mind you, a lot of those 80s guitar bodys were made from plywood so they needed it.

"and also an idea would be maybe to use thinner fretwire.".........errrr, why ?

Well on my warlock its got 24 frets, and the 24th just about has room for a finger, so if the number was 27, I'm sure the fret area would be getting a tad too small. Thinner fret wire would mean greater fret distance.