Best Books For Building Electric Guitars.

Hi, I´m new :D , and I´m interested to learning to how to build a guitar from the beginning. I dont have expeience with wood so I was looking for books that really help me how to build an electric guitar from the beginnig explaining all.

What books do you recomend me?

Is there a book that is consider as the bible of the building guitar genre.? :D

Thnx,

Demian.

I don't believe there is an all inclusive single source book. The knowledge areas involved in building range greatly and will likely not exist in a single resource.

I'd highly suggest doing a search here on "guitar book" and you will find lots of references discussed.

Make Your Own Electric Guitar Book by Melvyn Hiscock is pretty much the beginners book most here recommend but it is by far not all inclusive.

Welcome! :D

Melvyn Hiscock's 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar' is a very complete book, and runs you through building three different kinds of guitars, trems, and a good chapter on design considerations and designing, which is also of key importance. You can build perfectly great guitars using only the info in that book. Fairly brief, quite complete, easy to read. I like, and I blame it for getting me started.

After that, peruse the various forums/websites/tutorials you'll find on the 'net, and ask your specific questions.

I have noticed that the melvin´s book is very famous, not only in this forum.

So I will buy it.

I think to buy 2 books to start so, The other one that I was thinking was the Martin Koch´s book. Ibanez_Crazy said that is a very good book so...

If anyone recommend me another book that would be better than those two, I will buy them.

Thanx everyone,

Demian.

:D

building the guitar is just the first step in getting a playable instrument. i started with the hiscock book and an experienced friend and can recommend both. dan erlewine's book, "how to set up, maintain and repair electrics and acoustics" is a great desk reference and would be invaluable to you in getting your first instrument ready to play properly.

good luck.

I think Hiscock's strongest points are the writing, the concise (yet entertaining) read, and the fact he doesn't merely show you how to make a few different guitar models. He runs you through the whys, makes you think about the how, thus ensuring you a) think about what you're doing and :D draw up your own plans. I've flipped through the Koch, and it's pretty good, but MYOEG has stood the test of time for a reason. It's a very good basic text.

Personally, I can't stress how important drawing up your own plans for at least your first few guitars is; you work through everything on paper, think about every line an measurement, something that you may very well not go through fully if you 'simply' buy a ready-made plan.

Besides, designing on paper is cheap, and half the fun.

Yes, building electric guitars by Martin Koch is what I use. It's very informative. A few small parts need some editing (I only found two small mistakes that wouldn't effect a project, just in explanations), and it was self-written/published. I'd say it's the best out there

You can never read too much!!!! I have both the Hiscock and Koch book and both explain things the other one doesn't mention, so definitely try to get both. Those will get you started on your adventure of building guitars. Just building a guitar isn't good enough though, like others have mentioned, after you've built your dream guitar how will it play? That's where the Dan Erlewine books come into play. The "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" book by Dan Erlewine is an excellent one. Also if your wanting to learn inlay's, then Larry Robinson's "The Art Of Inlay" is a great start. You can also learn tons from videos. I personally think I learned more from the Dan Erlewine Maintenance & Setup: Electric Guitars and Basses two DVD set, than anything. Also, the Nut Making:Step-by-Step DVD that just came out was very good and will help you make a perfect nut for any type guitar. It's a wealth of information on getting your guitar to playing awesome. It's a never ending journey of learning if you always strive to get better at your hobby.

Matt Vinson

You can never read too much!!!!  I have both the Hiscock and Koch book and both explain things the other one doesn't mention, so definitely try to get both.  Those will get you started on your adventure of building guitars.  Just building a guitar isn't good enough though, like others have mentioned, after you've built your dream guitar how will it play?  That's where the Dan Erlewine books come into play.  The "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" book by Dan Erlewine is an excellent one.  Also if your wanting to learn inlay's, then Larry Robinson's "The Art Of Inlay" is a great start.  You can also learn tons from videos.  I personally think I learned more from the Dan Erlewine Maintenance & Setup: Electric Guitars and Basses two DVD set, than anything.  Also, the Nut Making:Step-by-Step DVD that just came out was very good and will help you make a perfect nut for any type guitar. It's a wealth of information on getting your guitar to playing awesome.  It's a never ending journey of learning if you always strive to get better at your hobby.

Matt Vinson

Matt, do you know where I can find those videos in DVD?

I cannot find them in amazon, I´m from Argentina so I dont have too much places to buy.

Thanx,

Demian.

I agree with what has already been mentioned. I'd like to add another book to the list. "Electric Guitar Construction" by Tom Hirst. That is the best beginner book I have seen. While the samples are relatively simple, it covers the basics and gets you going. Then you can add the other references as you need them by topic.

• 1 month later...

Guys, I have received from Amazon The first book that I ordered. Is´s The Melvyn Hiscock´s one :D . I´m still waiting for the Martin Koch´s one.

I didnt begin reading it yet, but I´m a little dissapointed because the photos are in black and white. B)

DO YOU KOW IF THE PHOTOS OF THE MARTIN KOCH´s BOOK ARE B&W TOO ?

Demian

I know that it is stupid or irrelevant but... just curious!! :D

Guys, I have received from Amazon The first book that I ordered. Is´s The Melvyn Hiscock´s one  :D .  I´m still waiting for the Martin Koch´s one.

I didnt begin reading it yet, but I´m a little dissapointed because the photos are in black and white.  B)

DO YOU KOW IF THE PHOTOS OF THE MARTIN KOCH´s BOOK ARE B&W TOO ?

Demian

I know that it is stupid or irrelevant but... just curious!! :D

Uh, I'm not sure, but I think Koch's book also has B/W photos in the text. Honestly, the only place where full colour really adds necessary info is in sections on staining/colouring finishes, and even there, photographs don't always capture what you're trying to explain. Full colour printing is pricey, and honestly, the illustrations in MYOEG aren't any less useful for not being full colour.

Yes both books are b/w, but like was already stated, color isn't exactly necessary to get the point across. You will learn a lot from both of these books. The Hiscock book seems to jump around a lot on some subjects and tend to be very vague on measurements at times, but each guitar is done from beginning to end. Koch's book has more measurements, etc. and has better detail, but doesn't go through a full build, instead focuses on how to build different body styles, and then neck design is covered in another area. So it's kinda scattered in that regard also. With both books you'll definitely learn everything you need to know to get started building guitars, what one book doesn't touch on, the other one does. Hope to your first guitar soon!!! Good luck..

Matt Vinson