My Bass Designs...

You can see all of my designs at cerb.trap17.com under Concept Drawings. Most of them have just been done in my spare time in study hall/lunch. Some are just decent while, in my opinion, a few are really killer. What do you think of them? My favorite five are in the following links.

http://cerb.trap17.com/HPIM0180.jpg - My most recent. Very simple, yet elegant. Probably my favorite at the moment.

http://cerb.trap17.com/HPIM0138.jpg

http://cerb.trap17.com/HPIM0168.jpg - 3 octave neck

http://cerb.trap17.com/HPIM0136.jpg

http://cerb.trap17.com/HPIM0169.jpg - Nice, long upper horn for good balance.

So, on a scale of 1-10, what do you think? Also remember these are designs for bass, so I'm sure that a lot of you guitarists won't know what to think of them :D. For such a similar group of instruments/musicians, our designs seem quite varied/different :D.

Also, moderators, I'm sure that if this is in the wrong place, you will move it. I wasn't quite sure where to put it.

I'm a guitarist so take it for what it's worth. I like the first two the best. Out of the two, I agree with you I think the first one is the best. Out of a scale of 1-10 I think the first one is a 9 and the second one is a 8. The numbers could go up or down depending on the cavity routs and other things, but overall I like the design. Good luck with them, and let us know what you decide to use. Later. Jason

I realy like the first 2. The 3rd i dont like, but thats probably more to do with the inevitable weirdness of being 3 octave. The 4th I aint too fussed on, too much arse and a skinny chest ;-). The 5th is probably my favourite although i'd shorten the upper horn a bit, its a little long for my taste.

I had a quick look at your site and imo you some great designs. It'd be realy nice to see some of them make it into the real world. :-)

Do you intend to make them at some point?

chris

jmrentis - Hopefully I won't have to pick just one. With any luck I can build most of them in the future.

nollock - That's actually the reason I liked the 4th (baby got back :D). The 5th would probably be an extended range, so the long upper horn would help balance out the fat neck. I do intend to make most of them at some point. If you click on the Concordis - Fretless 4 link you can see the current one I'm working on.

Mr. Churchyard - Pagelli was the first thing I thought when I saw my finished drawing, though it really doesn't look much like their 3 octave bass.

I dig the second one the most myself, although I'd love the first with a little bit of tweaking, as it shares a bit of resemblence to my designs.

Ever thing of drawing up a singlecut? The three octave bass might as well be one; the upper horn is cut off far enough that it's pretty much a singlecut. BTW, it's hard to make a 3 octave bass without it looking like a hyperbass, but I think you've done it.

Man Great designs :D I love How Free the bass guitar is to design, The wilder and wierder it is The more it feel's like A bass to me

it's not in the "In Progress" section

HAHAHAHAHA :D You Dont Like That Do you CudBucket B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

I think Shakespeare said that

HAHAHAHA Oh ya :D

well, "I draw A picture Of A guitar Im trying to make" That's What

METAL MATT said :D

I beleave That "Progress" Is Start to finish, I start with A Design and That end's up becomeing A guitar, unless I feel That The design Wount work but even that Is A part of Progress in my mind! :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Most builders will tell you that you shouldn't start building until your design is finished. That would include knowing what components you are going to use and how they will layout. Therefore, progress on the actual guitar can't begin until the design is complete. At least, it shouldn't. Plus, having a completed design results in fewer aborted projects.

I have nothing against seeing other peoples designs but it shouldn't be mixed up with people who are actually building guitars. Anyone can draw a picture.

Well Ya That's the Same Thing I think!!, But I beleave The designing prosses Is A very important part of the Progress of A guitar

Hear's How I like To do it

I draw up A littel design that I think up

I than darw up a full size version and refine it

I than make Up my template's

Than I try to find A wood That I like and That will work with the design

Than I get down to work

There's Ton's Of way's To do thing's, That's just My way :D

EDIT: I dont really Want to Bog The the thread down with All this So if any one else has something to say on this Just Start A new Thread, But we should Keep it out of Here

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Ever thing of drawing up a singlecut?

I have a couple. This is really the only singlecut I would like to build:

http://cerb.trap17.com/HPIM0170.jpg

It's what I think a Jerzy Drozd singlecut would look like if he made 'em.

I love it man! I think we've got similar tastes in design, although I'm pretty sure you're a lot more analytical than I am.

Well, I've just added two more designs if anyone wants to check them out. The first of the two is just a somewhat decent singlecut with an "Omega" cutout on the lower bout. The second is the one that I really love. You'll just have to check it out.

I like the last one! Pretty cool design, the last two on the page are your two newest right? The other one, I think the upper horn is a little too round for me, it reminds me a lot of a lap guitar, cool but just not my style. But again I really like the last one, I would consider this towards the top of the list for me. Good luck and post when you decide which one you will start with! Later. Jason

Pretty cool new designs. I was curious on this one, is the area around the big horn a cut out, because I think thats very cool if it is? Have you decided on which one you might start with? Or what kind of body wood you will use? Well nice stuff man, and good luck with your projects. Later. Jason

Cool design

It actually started out as a cutout, but I just lightly shaded it to see what it would look like solid. I like it cut out more than I like it as a solid singlecut. As for which I will start with, I've already began 1 (under the progress pics link), and I'm not really sure which I will do next. Body wood will probably be mahogany, as I have just been given (yes, free) a piece that is 12 feet * 8" * 3/4". That piece will last me a good long while, and I may even do a totally mahogany bass, neck and all.