JEM555 - JEM Jr

Ibanez Dealer List Price

$1,199.99 list price for JEM555

$169.99 - list price for JEM/UV case

Good street pricing from dealer:

$850 - great street price w/case

$745 - great street price w/o case

Used pricing:

don't buy one there is no reasonable price to pay for this guitar.

If you must, offer $300 or buy a RG550 or better.

i think you would be better off buying a nice rg, or a used jem, i don't really like the 555. i'm not an eletist or anything, but i had a whit one, then i got an '8877fp, huge difference.

the trem sucks on the 555 plus it has the ugly half vine, get a good RG 550 and put some Dimarzios in it and you'll save yourself a bunch of cash, then send it out and have the vine inaly done

Which will cost as much as just replacing the bridge on the 555.

A used 555 will probably run you a little less than a new RG550. It really depends on how much you want "Jem" on your guitar. Personally I'd get an RG, but you'd pretty much have to pay me to get me to play any Jem to begin with.

as taken from Jemsite:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Avoid Jemsite like the plague. All the time you'll spend wading thru the elitism makes it easier to just figure it out yourself.

too late...

Anyway, I've found a lot less elitism on that site than many others I've joined. The 555 is about the only thing they have an issue with there.

as taken from Jemsite:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Avoid Jemsite like the plague. All the time you'll spend wading thru the elitism makes it easier to just figure it out yourself.

too late...

Anyway, I've found a lot less elitism on that site than many others I've joined. The 555 is about the only thing they have an issue with there.

...and anything without an Edge trem...and anything not made in Japan...and anything that doesn't say "Ibanez" on the headstock...

Did I miss anything? Jemsiters tend to be Japanese Ibanez snobs, and will attempt to tell you that all Korean Ibanezes are junk and every trem ever made is a piece of crap compared to the Edge/LoPro Edge. Has anyone ever considered that there might be reasons that so many of us have fled here from Jemsite?

As far as the dude above who said the guy'd be better off buying an RG550 and having Dimarzios put in it and having a vine done - are you insane? A pair of Evos will cost you at least $100, plus the $300+ cost of having the vine done. You still won't have the JEM "extras" like the monkey grip and lion's claw, and you can't buy a Evo single coil ANYWHERE. So, buy a used RG550 for $300-$400, then throw in another $400+, and you'd end up several hundred dollars OVER the cost of a used JEM555.

The trem is not junk people, the TRS line have been used on guitars from every major guitar manufacturer from Ibanez to Jackson to Fender to Gibson. Get over the elitism, buy the used 555 you want and get a Schaller OFR for $70 and STILL save money. Better yet, buy a used RG and avoid JEMitis altogether... ;-)

~d~

buy what ever gutiar u want (i'd get a neck thru) that feels good in your hands, then shove some dimarzio's and a real floyd rose pro in there, voila problem solved..

buy what ever gutiar u want (i'd get a neck thru) that feels good in your hands, then shove some dimarzio's and a real floyd rose pro in there, voila problem solved..

I'd agree, buy based on the neck: it's the one thing you can't change. If you decide you don't like the tone or trem, those can be replaced, but to replace the neck (especially to the one you like, rather than the standard Warmoth or Stew Mac profiles) will be far more difficult.

Just my two cents, but I'd much sooner take my RG520 over a Jem555. But again, that's just my opinion.

I was also thinking about this......actually, i dont know how to post pictures so i'll just tell u what it is, an Ibanez RGT42FM, flame maple top, wizard II (neck-thru), edge pro II, what do u guys think? Thanks.

Aaron

Those are KILLER guitars. Through and through.

And I'd prefer almost ANY RG over any JEM, but that's me. It's just a "bang for the buck" thing...

~d~

I was also thinking about this......actually, i dont know how to post pictures so i'll just tell u what it is, an Ibanez RGT42FM, flame maple top, wizard II (neck-thru), edge pro II, what do u guys think? Thanks.

Aaron

And I'd prefer almost ANY RG over any JEM, but that's me. It's just a "bang for the buck" thing...

~d~

I can get one of these with a hard case for $749 CAN (approx. $532 USD) is this a decent price?

Aaron

Aaron

~d~

I can get one of these with a hard case for $749 CAN (approx. $532 USD) is this a decent price?

Aaron

Yes. Yes it is. I'll take two.

~d~

Aaron

yup, not a bad guitar for that price, much better then the jem alternative if we're talking buck for buck comparison... but i'd want to play the guitar before i buy it, u have to get "the" feeling from it... course, that said my fav tele was a suprise christmas present...

...and anything without an Edge trem...and anything not made in Japan...and anything that doesn't say "Ibanez" on the headstock...

Did I miss anything?

People who don't hate non-japanese, non-edge equipped, non-Ibanez guitars.

Say it with me Dennis

There is no good guitar but Ibanez

There is no good Ibanez that isn't made in Japan

There's no good Japanese Ibanez except the Jem

Steve Vai is God.

Say it with me Dennis

Steve Vai is God.

Steve Vai is God.

The four reasons I don't go to Jemsite anymore. :D

Oh well, no great loss. Now I've got PG! B)

~d~

look dude, get what you like. if you want a jem, then get one. if you want an ibanez, then get one. i love my jem, but i really love my wolfgang too. i play the wolfgang more, but it's more my style. i say you just play a bunch of guitars, who cares about the brand, and find whatever one you like. the feel is more important to me than the sound. do what you want and just let everyone else listen and take notes.

p.s. vai is god...jerks :DB)

I'd agree, buy based on the neck: it's the one thing you can't change. If you decide you don't like the tone or trem, those can be replaced, but to replace the neck (especially to the one you like, rather than the standard Warmoth or Stew Mac profiles) will be far more difficult.

Just my two cents, but I'd much sooner take my RG520 over a Jem555. But again, that's just my opinion.

My tip to anyone buying an electric guitar is DON'T plug it in. You can be fooled by nice pickups into a good sounding amp into not realizing that the guitar itself plays like absolute crap. better to focus on how it feels, most of the other stuff is cheap and easy to replace.

I'd agree, buy based on the neck: it's the one thing you can't change.  If you decide you don't like the tone or trem, those can be replaced, but to replace the neck (especially to the one you like, rather than the standard Warmoth or Stew Mac profiles) will be far more difficult.

Just my two cents, but I'd much sooner take my RG520 over a Jem555.  But again, that's just my opinion.

My tip to anyone buying an electric guitar is DON'T plug it in. You can be fooled by nice pickups into a good sounding amp into not realizing that the guitar itself plays like absolute crap. better to focus on how it feels, most of the other stuff is cheap and easy to replace.

ya, i remember reading that eric johnson (a very good player with amazing tone in my eye) does that, he just plays a chord then feels the guitar to see if it resonates well, after doing that a bit and finding a good one, he'll play it for a bit to get the feel for the neck yada, yada... all before he even goes near an amp. i've tried this, but i'm just not knowledegable enough yet..