I Need Help Or A Tutorial

I am going to school in october to become a luthier/ guitar tech and i will soon know how to this but in my friends guitar the pickup screws that hold the pickups in place are missing (one missing in the neck and one in the bridge) so each pickup still has one screw holding it in place i am buying a couple of pickup mounting kits from StewMac and the screws and springs and mounting screws, i checked the tutorial section and the only that that it had on pickup hight was how to adjust it well i need to now how to install these mounting rings and springs, if anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it (i need the guitar for an upcoming show and instead of going to my local guitar center and paying 45 dollars for 2 new screws and five minutes of labor i decided to do it myself, plus it will give me somewhat of experience)

Thanks

Do you have a pickguard? With a pickguard you will put the screws in from the top through the pickup rings, through the pick guard, then through the springs and finally into the pickup. Just take off your pickguard and follow the steps. There are many different pickup rings for different guitars, bu that is the basic idea. I did this on my ibanez, and there are holes at each corner for screws into the pickguard to keep it stable but I didn't even use these, it might be a good idea if you are doing a show to put all the screws in though.

I have never put pickup rings on a guitar without a pickguard but I would guess that you put the screws in through the pickup rings, then through the springs, then into the pickup. Then put the pickup into the hole and screw the screws at the corners into the body. I'm sure there is other guitars that require other methods but I don't know exactly what you are working on so maybe you could post what kind of guitar it is and if it has a pickguard or not. Good luck with the installing, if you know what you are doing it is really easy, just be careful when taking off pickguards because you can screw up the electronics fairly easily, if you pull to hard on the wires, also you will have to take off all the knobs and switches before removing the pickguard. Make sure you label where all the different screws go and in what order you need to put them back in. Later. Jason

Thanks for the help the big question i guess of mine was what order you put the screw spring and pickup

I am doing this on a freakin awesome BC Rich Warlock flat top no pickguard i am not that much into the whole metal thing but this guitar has the best feeling neck i have ever played its not a cheap guitar its one of the like 700 dollar ones my friend hates it though (he is one of them people that goes through fazes and gets everything he wants cause he is freakin rich) he used to be obsessed with metalica thats why he got the guitar now he is into the Screamo/Hardcore thing

he is selling it to me for like $150 how lucky am i

Thanks for the help and if now that u know what type of guitar it is and stuff if you have any more info please tell me

I think someone that has a guitar similar to this will be more help. I was thinking about it and I'm not sure if the pickups just go in from the top or if you put them in through the back. I would assume the top and I would guess that the way I decribed would be the right way but as I said I haven't done one so either wait for more answers or ask as you go through it, it won't be that difficult. I think it's ring/spring/pickup then attatchment to the body which is where I'm unsure of how that works on guitars without pickguards, but I need to learn that as well because the guitar I'm building right now will have no pickguard. I like the look of them, especially with a nice figured top. Good luck with it, I will go look around to see if I can find exactly how that works for you and I will post it if I find anything. Later. Jason

PS: Thats a very good deal, very lucky! At least you will appreciate it a little more. I couldn't just get rid of a guitar because it didn't fit the trend anymore.

Edited by jmrentis

he used to be obsessed with metalica thats why he got the guitar

i dont understand what a warlock has to do with Metallica but anyway

all the warlocks ive seen use pup rings to suspend the pup

my friend recently bought a guitar with the exact same problem a spring and screw missing from both pups. heres what i did: took one of the screws he did have and found the same style/size screw at a hardware store and got two for 10c each

got the strings out of the way

got two springs from two pens

unscrewed the pup rings and install the new springs and screws

screw pup rings back on

restring then adjust pup height

as i did all of this using common sense alone i dont know if this was the best/proper way of doing it but it worked so im not to worried

If you just look at the electronics, it's all very self-evident. What borge described should work perfectly. If it's just that the screws came out, you'll probably even find the old springs just sitting in the pickup cavity.

Greg

I don’t mean to sound like a dick...but.........wow.....If you cant figure out how to mount a pick-up by your self I don’t think you will even stand a chance at comprehending the things they will teach you at a luthier school.

I don’t mean to sound like a dick...but.........wow.....If you cant figure out how to mount a pick-up by your self I don’t think you will even stand a chance at comprehending the things they will teach you at a luthier school.

Yeah, and I really don't think that putting a screw and spring in a pickup counts as experience...

Yeah, and I really don't think that putting a screw and spring in a pickup counts as experience...

Why post this???

Rich

Well thanks for all the help I have a better understanding of what i have to do now. First I have no idea what a warlock has to do with Metallica but he was in love with Metallica and I guess he had to have a pretty metal looking guitar. Second if you have noticed i used good puncuation in this reply (but I have seen alot worse than my writing). Third I was planning on just pulling out the pickup and seeing how it was put in, but then i thought if I could find a tutorial or find someone who knew it would be alot easier than just guessing. And lastly i know that putting a pickup ring is not that big of a task but then again wouldnt anything that gives you a better understanding of how to build/put together guitars count as experience?

Thanks for all the help