Quilted Maple Fret Dots

Cracked

I tried searching on this & couldn't find anything but I'm sure someone's asked this before.

I have some 1/8th quilted maple. I was thinking of dyeing and then with a plug cutter try to cut dots.

My question would be, is there an issue regarding the 'softness' of the maple and using it on a fretboard?

Thanks!

I have no idea of the "quilt" you have on hand, but I would think it would have to be pretty freakin extreme to be noticable in a dot. But, then, maybe you do have a absolutely tight, beautiful, quilted piece to pull plugs from. In any event, good luck!

Nate Robinson

Maybe Flamed Maple Would Be A better Idea

Your Just Not going To see much With A quilt The Grain Pattern Is Just To large

!!METAL MATT!! :D

How about block inlays with flamed maple?

Ya Something Larger for Sure!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

one concern.is this going on an unfinished fretboard?because maple needs to be finished...i would impregnate the dots with ca before installation

Only if you dye the dots then you'll have to finish them, because otherwise you will wear of the dye over time.

There are several guitars on the market with unfinished or only oiled maple necks.

While these are a little more likely to warp, your dots won't deform....

Thanks everyone!

Ya, maybe flame would be better as the quilt is ok, but to show up on a dot it would have to be like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I would probably dye and clear first. I just wanted almost cari-burst colored dots, without spending the $$ for wicked abalone etc. I'll give it a shot next weekend (dye and clear coat this week) and let y'all know!

think the main concern would be them popping loose from rapid expansion and contraction if they were left unfinished...

and also just the fact that they would become impregnated with dirt and gunk

That sounds right , but I doubt the expansion and contraction of the dots would be different enough from the fretboard wood to cause any trouble.

The dirt thing might be a problem, depending on how much care you take of your instrument though.

I just think that an oil finish will be enough and maybe look better, because if the fretboard is unfinished and the dots are it might fall apart in terms of visuals....

Did not really want to question your argument.....as your route is definately the safest....just wanted to offer some other possible solutions....

I'd used a brass tube, that I filed some serrations into the end, to cut small veneer "circles" -- for fret dots.

I placed them in the fretboard with a ring of the tube (drill, place ring, place veneer, lay down CA thing, level & polish)

It looked OK, but here is what I learned --- VERY interesting woods do not often look very interesting when you only have a small dot of them.

- Zebrawood looked great (try to cut dots so there is a nice dark grain line or two in them)

- Flamed, etc -- not so visible

- etc

-- joe