Good Combo Amp For Metal Style?

Hughes

I've been looking around in this area for ages... my budget extends to include the Marshall DSL and TSL combo's, but as of yet I still haven't actually decided on which one to get.

The best thing I have tried by far yet was a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier head with a 2x12 Mesa Horizontal cabinet... not a combo I know, but it had the best sound for me. Compared with the Marshall TSL602, the marshall just seemed to get a bit... almost fuzzy in the really high gain areas, where the mesa held together a bit better. Im probably being really picky, but hey, I figure if im going to sink that much cash into an amp I am allowed to be right? :D Of course it goes without saying the Mesa is significantly more expensive than the Marshall.

The Genz-Benz combo's were really nice too, but didnt saturate quite as much as the mesa or the marshall.

I can't say I had ever heard a Crate Blue Voodoo first hand though...

- Dan

crate...check out the blue voodoo.

if you have a higher budget(which i know you don't) you ciould look at the marshall dsl series

am i missing something or are both the blue voodoo series heads+cabinets? if so, i cant afford one of them and dont need one of them...just a 20-30watt combo amp such as the line 6 spider II

and yes like Wes said, i dont have a high budget

Edited by Hughes

hey, just wondering what are some good combo amps for metal style music...preferabley around 20-30watts

I picked up a Line 6 Spider II 30 and have been happy with it for what it does. I even gig'd with it a couple weeks ago. It was pretty okay considering it was the first time I'd ever gig'd using a solid state unit and the first time ever wired direct to the mains. The 30 is pretty limited compared to it's bigger relatives in the Spider line but is pretty descent sounding for the money.

I saw the Line 6 Spider II 30W with a 12" Celestion speaker yesterday at Guitar Center for $199.  Was thinking about telling my son to go get it for me.  He owes me $200.  :D

hahaha im in that rut right now, i owe my parents like $100. :D ..i asked my music store if they had a Line 6 Spider II 212 (before i knew how loud even a 25 watt went) and they had one for $600 CAD so hopefully they will have a 30watt for alot cheaper

How about just a cheap Peavey or Crate solid-state combo with a Boss Metal Zone and a Morley Wah in front of it?

I was gonna say that! the Metal Zone Pedal is the only metal stomp box youll need ever! Not sure about the Wah cos I dont use them but Wahs are usefull for tone boosts and a cheap EQ pedal will give you a level boost as well!

The Peavey Bandit 1x12 was a loud sucker as I remember, but if youre gonna go with pedals, anything will do the job without needing the ultra heavy gain some of todays amps offer. My personal faves were Laneys.

Id try and get a 2x12 as they sound pretty good mic'ed up through a PA and give you loads of air movement for when you cant mic them.

Remember that volume is relative to the space you play in too. bedrooms are often far too small for anything set beyond "2" to get that great tone youre after, but dont be put off, I would quite happily use a 2x12 on stage and maybe add a 4x12 slave cab later when funds allow it

Edited by Digideus