Bridge Pickup And Carvin Neck Questions...

1. How far should the bridge pickup on a 24-fret 25" scale guitar be from the nut?

2. For anyone who has bought one of the neck-thru necks from Carvin.... there is a little extra wood under the fretboard, I assume for someone who wants to put a top on their guitar... I won't be doing so, so how should I deal with this(or does it not matter)? Here is a picture to show what I mean:

CarvinNeck.jpg

3. What are the little holes that are drilled into the extension on the Carvin neck?

Edited by Lietuvis

you are wrong on all counts..(sorry :D )

you don't place the bridge pickup in relation to the nut,rather the bridge..and where you place it depends on where your bridge falls exactly..for instance,you can place the pickup much closer to the saddles of a t.o.m. than you can a floyd.you can vary the position a bit depending on what you want...closer to the bridge = sharper attack and a less beefy bottom end.

the extra wood under the fretboard allows the fret height relationship to be correct for a fixed carvin bridge or a recesed floyd without installing a neck angle.if you use a t.o.m. you need to angle the neck.if you wanted to add a top you would need to cut away the thickness of the top from the neck "extension" as you called it

the holes are just used to hold the neck while shaping..they very carefully place them where the bridge pickup goes(all of the usual positions overlay that dot) and outside the guitar body of most guitar shapes

Wes is right.

I'm currently building a guitar with the very same Carvin neck. The hole that is closest to the neck is 25" from the nut, which happens to be the scale length. It will be covered up by the bridge.

The holes are a nice reference for placing the bridge, and also provide a reference for the center line. But of course, you should always measure and be sure!! :D

that is correct...

Only I would have to remove the graphite nut and put the locking nut on that thing and I don't see that much space there, seems as the neck bends right after the nut and the trussrodcover is also in the way... And what radius is the fretboard? 15" like on most Carvins?

Edited by Mr.Churchyard

that is correct...

Only I would have to remove the graphite nut and put the locking nut on that thing and I don't see that much space there, seems as the neck bends right after the nut and the trussrodcover is also in the way... And what radius is the fretboard? 15" like on most Carvins?

when you order it call carvin and get them to make the neck compatible with a locking nut...they will make it that way for you i think.they are big on customer service

when you order it call carvin and get them to make the neck compatible with a locking nut...they will make it that way for you i think.they are big on customer service

They are, but less so on parts & kits than on full guitars. I was going to get a bolt kit from them and use the neck on another guitar (their kits are $50 off now).

I asked:

1) Since my guitar body has a Floyd, can I get a Floyd nut on a kit neck even though the kit body only has a standard bridge?

2) Since my favorite radius isn't offered any more (your compound one of a few years ago), can I get the neck *without* frets installed so I can have it reradiused aftermarket?

Though I was willing to pay an upcharge, no dice on either one. I find that really annoying - they MAKE bolt necks with a floyd nut. Why can't I get one? IMO this falls into the "sombody's stupid rule for no good reason" category. The fret thing I could see, depending on their production flow.

I imagine that they have a whole warehouse of the kit necks and bodies ready to go. I doubt that those are built to order. I understand why they wont do what your asking. It would be like going to a car dealership and saying, "hey I want that car over there but can you repaint it and make it a 5 speed?" It could be done but it would probably be a pain in the ass. Call them back and ask if you can order a custom neck, see where that gets you.

I was looking through the whole selection of TonePros T-O-M bridges, and I was wondering which would be best for the guitar I'm building? I need it to fit the Carvin neck's radius... which I am not too sure of, becaus they do not indicate it on their site.

The new carvin necks are 12" radius... the same as most t-o-ms

btw, carvin sells their bolt on neck alone too... and you probably CAN have options on them... I have my brand new Carvin neck in hand and i ordered it in mahogany and with no face dots... It's just beautyful (they even installed a peghead veneer of FIGURED mahogany!!! And it's 2 pieces laminated, too) and it only cost me 30$ more!

btw, the little step under the fretboard measures to about 3mm and to the top of the fretboard it's 6 or 7 mm...

Hope that awnsers your questions!!

Just one last thing... I haven't tryed the neck on anything yet (just got it...) but i can tell you that from the looks of it, it's perfect... It just looks great!!

I imagine that they have a whole warehouse of the kit necks and bodies ready to go. I doubt that those are built to order. I understand why they wont do what your asking. It would be like going to a car dealership and saying, "hey I want that car over there but can you repaint it and make it a 5 speed?" It could be done but it would probably be a pain in the ass. Call them back and ask if you can order a custom neck, see where that gets you.

You can get any option you can get on a bolt on guitar. Block or dot markers in MOP or abalone, maple, rosewood, or ebony board, different fret size & materials, different radii (just not the one I want, which was the only one they offered a couple years back when I got my last neck). If you get a "bolt PLUS" kit (which you can get with a floyd), you CAN get the floyd nut. Which is why I don't get it, other than "if you aren't going to put the kit together as intended, we aren't assisting you".

I'm just bitchin'. I know I can get what I want from Warmoth for $400 anytime. But the neck I got a couple years back is awesome - almost perfect, and will be with just a bit of sanding. If I'd KNOWN they were going to discontinue the compound radius and change the neck profile again, I'd have ordered 2 more at the time, just to HAVE them. When I got that one, I got the kit and sold everything but the neck on fleabay - the neck ended up costing me $200-ish, IIRC.

still, why don't you use their neck they sell alone instead of a kit?? 0_o

140$!!

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?...er=BN&CID=GTR/K

i'm sure you can get it with the lock nut!

Because you get 1/2 off all options when you get the kit. When I got Abalone blocks and Stainless steel frets, which would have been $220 extra instead of the $110 I paid. I was sure I wouldn't take more than a $110 hit, since the kit was on sale at that time, too. Sale ended, I ebayed the body (for $250, IIRC), all was well.

And I also wanted to see if their body shape was something I could live with. I was thinking of assembling & keeping the whole thing. Hard to tell from pictures, you know?

Honestly, I didn't even think to ask if the neck alone could be gotten with a floyd nut... ...doh...

Edited by Jester700

Looked into it. 'tis true - AND I could get the floyd nut. I ordered one. Just so y'all know I ain't crazy, it didn't USED to be this way! When I got the kit last time, I DID ask about options on just the neck, and he said they'd be full price. They must change their rules every year. Or it depends on the sales guy. Guess I can't complain, tho'...

Edited by Jester700