Solid Smaller Router Bits

cSuttle

The only thing that small that I know of is a dental burr. They sell them by the pound at some of the woodworking tool sites. There are also a couple of companies that make reworked dental drills that work like routers to drive them.

What are you doing that you need a router bit that small?

I do very high end inlay work. I use 1/32" bits now, but I have times when I could improve the product if I had even smaller bits yet. Plus I would like a bit to clear out fret slots of any excess material that may get in there from the inlay process. The standard fret slot size is .024". I'm always looking for the next thing.

To answer the other question, I'm in Novi, MI. I bit of a curse from you.

I have solid carbide .025 but they're expensive. Let me know if you need some. I use them sparingly. I have some .022 end mills, but they're near useless, and only used in an emergency. The drills are more stable than the end mills. And for wood, at that size, it really doesn't matter what the flute is like. So I use drills. On wood they operate exactly the same as end mills. But for PCB they would be useless.

I have solid carbide .025 but they're expensive. Let me know if you need some. I use them sparingly. I have some .022 end mills, but they're near useless, and only used in an emergency. The drills are more stable than the end mills. And for wood, at that size, it really doesn't matter what the flute is like. So I use drills. On wood they operate exactly the same as end mills. But for PCB they would be useless.

Hmmm . . . I don't care if there are expensive, I just need them. Where did you buy they from. Also, the drill idea is interesting, but that is a very small drill too. Do you have a good supplier of those?

Thanks Frank

• 2 weeks later...

I found a supplier. Robbjack. I called them up and they have bits all the way down to .005. They sent me some samples to try out. Haven't had time to try them out yet, but I'll report back when I do. The smallest sample I have is .021. They look good though and come highly recommended from a source I really trust.