A Really Good Place For Wood

I just had such a good experience with this place I wanted to reccommend them, they are www.internetlumber.com. I know some people are saving money buying wood on ebay but most of ebay's prices seem high compared to the prices here... plus the service was excellent. I bought two pieces of 1 1/2" bookmatched flame maple... a long piece of tiger flamed maple for the neck and two bookmatched pieces of very figured 3/8" mahogany for $80 shipped. The guy was on the phone with me for 45 minutes getting my order right and telling me about good deals and nice woods for guitars they had around. They dimensioned the pieces for me and surfaced 2 sides and really went out of their way. I'm not totally sure but the prices seems good to me, I'm a beginner though. I am seeing wood for tops on ebay for $70 and $80 that are no nicer. They told me they have some beautiful wide bubinga in and sent me a jpeg.

uglogirl

that sounds like an excellent deal..have you received the wood yet? let us know when you do and what you think of it.

If the Maple is VG Flamed and musical grade and is a 1-1/2" book matched set(meaning it was resawn from a 3.125"+ block). With no other wood in the equation that would be an amazing price. Value on the wood + machining + shipping, seems to really be extreamly low. I will have to get in touch with them. I would really be curious to see how the wood looks when you recieve it.

Peace,Rich

If the Maple is VG Flamed and musical grade and is a 1-1/2" book matched set(meaning it was resawn from a 3.125"+ block). With no other wood in the equation that would be an amazing price. Value on the wood + machining + shipping, seems to really be extreamly low. I will have to get in touch with them. I would really be curious to see how the wood looks when you recieve it.

Peace,Rich

Shipping was very fast.. I ordererd thursday and it arrived saturday. It is very pretty grain on both the maple and mahogany and it's all bookmatched but I don't know enough about wood yet yo know if it's "musical grade" or VG Grade. It will certainly make a very pretty guitar - if I don't destroy it. :D

I could take some pictures if you are interested.... though I'm not sure how the grain will show with my camera.

uglogirl

Sounds a very good deal.

I've just recently paid for my order with David Dykes (A UK wood guy - see previous post) and like your experience the guy was great, spent ages on the phone helping to work out the correct dimensions.

I ordered Mahogany, and maple to make a neck through explorer, the total cost with planning, surfacing and delivery came to £120

And to top it all off, tomorrow by an uncanny coincedence he is in the area, and is bringing the wood personaly.

This sort of service is very good.

But to get back to the main subject, some pictures would be great as i'm looking for a place to get my figured tops and veneers.

just before you take the pictures take a damp..not sopping wet..cloth and wipe the wood down. you could also use paint thinner but water does just fine. it makes the wood look close to what your guitar will look like with finish on it.

I just went to a wood warehouse in my area, not expecting to see anything of interest for building a guitar except for some alder or maple, and guess what I found...

They have a huge amount of top-notch Mahogany!!!! :D

please help me i dont understnad what to buy. i dont understand the measurements. like i know what i want mahogany so i click on that

4/4 genuine select = $7.75

8/4 genuine select = $8.15

special buy 100bf (whats a bf?) 4/4 genuine mahogany select = $674.97

and so on and so on

so basically i dont know what to buy and how much would be enough to accomodate a guitar. the prices are extrmemely low and extremely high for that 100 bf

oh wait its in the faq section. but anyways can you tell me what size and quantity you bought?

Edited by wontonpillsbury

Make sure you understand that 4/4 surfaced wood is different than 4/4 rough stock. Same goes for all other measurements. 4/4 rough is 1" but 4/4 surfaced is 13/16". 8/4 rough is 2" while 8/4 surfaced is 1 3/4". Board feet (bf) is a measurement of the amount of wood you are getting. The easiest way (for me) to calculate bf is to multiply the length times the width times the thickness (all in inches) and then divide by 144. That will give you the bf measurement. Simple as that.

um so what do i buy to make the average guitar? width and lengthwise

Dude, Why are you buying wood if you don't know what you are building? A common body blank would be 22"L x 14" W (one piece) or 44" L x 7"+ W(two piece 22"L each). Most blanks depending on size needed board footage is usually between 3.5bf and 4.5bf. You should really figure out what you are building before you buy.

Peace, Rich

P.S. If you are calculating board footage on surfaced wood. The actual thickness is not used in the calculation just the 4/4(1x), 6/4(1.5x),8/4(2x) etc.... Even though it measures 1-3/4" you calc and pay for 2".

Peace, Rich

I definitely want some pics!!! I wanna build a les paul and if i could get figured mohog and maple for that price im definitely ordering from them. I ordered from macbeth down in san fran and the dude on the phone said "well we have some really nice figured curly maple" so i got it and it wasnt hardle figured at all.... I was very upset.

I definitely want some pics!!! I wanna build a les paul and if i could get figured mohog and maple for that price im definitely ordering from them. I ordered from macbeth down in san fran and the dude on the phone said "well we have some really nice figured curly maple" so i got it and it wasnt hardle figured at all.... I was very upset.

Duff,

If your looking for good figured Maple or Mahogany, I buy from Gilmerwood.com,

No I'm not a relative just I've used them for a long time for many woodworking projects and found they are honest and you get to see the wood before your buy.

Check some of my Maple from them.

http://www.mikrovisions.com/wood

I have posted a pic of some of my figured Maple from them. Most of these are 8/4 or better and at least 7 in. wide. I figure I have plenty of billets or tops just in the pic for at least 10 guitars.

Just wanted you to know ther are alternatives.

Mike K.

ps. soon I start my first guitar project. Then the questions come from me LOL. I have been lurking for a while and reading as much as I can so I will try and not ask STUPID questions ,Just make stupid mistakes. LOL:))))