Algee's Tele Project

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Well, i've pretty much turned this project around 360 degrees (wait, is that a full circle? :D ). This project has pretty much spun 180 degrees, and i'm pretty happy with what I was thinking for this design. As of now, the humbuckers I planned on using don't really fit my style of music. Plus, I was never really happy with the original design. So i'm sittin' here on that Kisekae thingy trying to think of a plan for the tele, and I came up with this.

Tele2.jpg

Honestly, i'm already going with the P-90's (they'll be white, not cream) and the maple neck which i'm getting from USACG because I wan't a maintenance free maple neck(poly finish on the fretboard). What i'm still unsure about is the knob placement/pickgaurd. I really like the pickgaurd, but i'd appreciate any and all feedback on this new design from you guys. As soon as the plans are finalized i'll get to work routing the pickup cavities and order the neck.

P.S. - Kisekae has REALLY crappy knobs, i'll be going with chrome dome knobs from Stew-Mac (which I already have) so ignore the ugly ones I put there :D

Thanks everyone!

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

Reminds me of the jazzmaster tele that won GOTM a bit ago.

I like the design!

Yeah, I got the inspiration for the P-90's from that GOTM. I'm probaly not going with the color in the picture, as the color is still up in the air (it'll be a vintage vender color though for sure) but i'm going with pretty much everything else on it. Thanks for the comment!

You could try to make a pickguard like that one but that includes the controls? Like... one that would go further? Like those on some thinlines, but that would not go higher than the pickups.

EDIT: here's a VERY crappy rendition of what I was thinking...

untitled17nh.th.jpg

Edited by Pr3Va1L

I'm rather happy with how the pickgaurd is, and i'm pretty content on rear routing the body. I honestly hate pickgaurds, just because they cover up a very nice paintjob/top. I just don't like the way they look. Although, your suggestion isn't have bad. I'll have to think about it :D

Edited by AlGeeEater

I'm rather happy with how the pickgaurd is, and i'm pretty content on rear routing the body. I honestly hate pickgaurds, just because they cover up a very nice paintjob/top. I just don't like the way they look. Although, your suggestion isn't have bad. I'll have to think about it :D

Enhance not hide. :D

I like the new design , not really the colour. A fender sonic blue finish would look great in my opinion.

not to hijack, but how do you get the picture of the guitar out of that program? I could never figure it out.

Take a printscreen of it and then paste & crop it in your favourite editing program... (paint always rocks :D )

I still think *THIS* one is a good design, perhaps extend the pickguard to go around near the horn?

~~ TS ~~

Thanks guys. I agree with you on Prevail's being too Danoelectric. I'm not trying to hide the electronics or anything under it, mine is just a style-ish sort of pickgaurd I thought looked nice. Again, i'm not big on pickgaurds and covering up half the body with one isn't for me. It is a nice design, just not what i'm aiming for on this project.

Peace,

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

• 2 weeks later...

Today I routed out for the p-90's and started to do the control cavity from the back. I'll finish the control cavity tomr, drill for the strap buttons and radius the edges (I wonder how binding would look, hmm)

Tele3.jpg

It's not bad, i'm just not sure if I like the binding idea. Maybe it'll grow on me, who knows.

Pics tomr!

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

You might want to wait to finish those cavities until you have the pickups in hand. Most people(including myself) prefer to screw the p90's directly to the wood of the body, no rubber spacers or anything of the sort. This really requires checking and rechecking the depth against the p90. Obviously, that's easiest when the pickup's in hand. However, you could just try the site of whoever you bought the p90 from for dimensions...if they have them.

peace,

rus

I like soapbars better than jazzmaster pickups, just in terms of looks. Plus i've already routed out the p-90 cavities, but the jazzmaster cavities are still possible too. :D

Yeah, I guess I'll have to build my own then...

:D

Waiiit...then I'd actually have to stop living vicariously through the guitars other people build and actually make one from scratch myself. Perish the thought!

It looks like a cool design as usual, Algee. The P-90s are an awesome look too. Good luck with the rest of the build.