Lp Junior...has Anyone Ever Put A Laminate Top One

are epiphones supposed to have bolt on necks... cuz someone else told me that too... and everyone i know who has an epiphone is set neck. My epiphone is set neck too. And im talkin about a single cut away LP junior... the double looks like a PRS yes...

I like the flat look on the double cut...but I think a flat single cut would just look cheap.

yeah...they do look cheap...so do the double cuts.

but i played a single cut lp jr and i have to say it was pretty sweet tonewise.

very poor fret job and just a horrid finish,but it sounded great and even with the poor fret job still played pretty slick.

Single cut Jr's (or specials if they have two pickups) really are awesome tonewise. Way back when, my guitar teacher had one and let me play it during one of my lessons. What a sweet chunk of wood. Amazing tone. Of course, that was solid mahagony and not "tonewood". (sounds like the mystery meat in the school cafeteria, it definitely is NOT beef LOL)

Some people think that a glued on wood top inhibits resonance somewhat. I'm not sure what to believe, but if you decide to go through with this, you must realize that you will be removing the neck, shimming the existing route, and gluing the neck back in.

If you are a beginner at this type of stuff, well, good luck. I'm real curous as to how you are going to get the neck out. I doubt they used glue that you could steam out. And you better make sure you get that angle right the first time when you shim it and glue it back in.

You are also going to probably have to take some thickness off the body. (actually, if you took the thickness off the top, you might be able to get away with leaving the neck alone, but if you screw up, the neck is a goner).

This is not a job for the faint of heart and I doubt its a job for a beginner at this kind of thing. If you were going to go to this effort, it may be better just to build from scratch and use the epi to become a better guitar player.

Well, I've read about really talented luthiers taking Gibson Historic Reissues and doing the following:

* removing the fretboard and stripping the rubber coating from the truss rod (called by Les Paul afficianados a truss condom :D)

* removing the neck and redoing the neck angle truer to 50's specs

* making the headstock slightly smaller (again to 50's specs)

* recarving the top

* not sure what else? (this is from a thread on the Les Paul forum I read like 2 years ago)

This is pretty involved stuff and I guess that folks do this so that they own a real Gibson but to get it closer to a real burst. Its gotta be crazy expensive, because the Gibson Historics are already pricey.

In my opinion, the LP Jr single-cut/single P90 ranks up with the Telecaster at the very top of all time guitar design. The simplicity and sheer efficiency is just awesome.

But then, I really like flattop guitars, carved guitars don't thrill me.

I like the LP Jr double-cut too, though, especially in TV yellow...

That Epiphone is NOT an LP Jr ---not with that humbucker (shudder)!

Well, I've read about really talented luthiers taking Gibson Historic Reissues and doing the following:

* removing the fretboard and stripping the rubber coating from the truss rod (called by Les Paul afficianados a truss condom  :D)

* removing the neck and redoing the neck angle truer to 50's specs

* making the headstock slightly smaller (again to 50's specs)

* recarving the top

* not sure what else? (this is from a thread on the Les Paul forum I read like 2 years ago)

This is pretty involved stuff and I guess that folks do this so that they own a real Gibson but to get it closer to a real burst. Its gotta be crazy expensive, because the Gibson Historics are already pricey.

That's just...stupid. I'm sorry, but it is. If you want something spec'd the way you like it, get the custom shop to do it, or build yourself one from scratch. Either's gotta be a whole lot less work (particularly the scratch building part) than modding a set neck guitar that heavily.

Maybe I'm a heathen, but I really don't care how 'original' the damn thing is, as long as it's constructed well, plays well, sounds good.

Yeah, and I agree. You have to remember though, that any luthier who makes Les Paul copies, is good at it, and starts to get attention, gets a visit from Gibson's legal team. Even PRS couldn't beat Gibson's legal team, how does a small time luthier even stand a chance?

I'm eventually building up to build my own burst copy, but if and when I do, I won't be selling them. I don't want Gibson to take my children and home away. :D I also don't believe in putting other guitar companies names on guitars that I build, but I know Gibson is very, very concerned when people either copy the body design of the Les Paul too closely, or the Gibson "open book" headstock.

Of course, this is only an issue in the US. It doesn't seem to be an issue anywhere else in the world. In fact, there is a Russian guitar company called Shamray that will build you a burst copy at a very reasonable price, but I digress. :D

Tonewood body = plywood for those wondering... If it's the same as a LP special anyways...

My friend has an SG-Special (SG equivalent to a Special-II (LP special)) and I never have seen a less "vivid" body... It eats up all vibrations!! You're playing it and it dosen't vibrate at all. No sustain either... No need to say it sounds crappy too : /

Tonewood body = plywood for those wondering...

no...it does not

what it means is that some of them are solid mahogany,some of them are solid alder...

basically they are just not garanteeing it is mahogany...for whatever reason some of the cheaper gibsons get made of alder.

gibson does not use plywood

In my opinion, the LP Jr single-cut/single P90 ranks up with the Telecaster at the very top of all time guitar design. The simplicity and sheer efficiency is just awesome.

Total punk attitude. :D:D

Total punk attitude. :D:D

LOL... def...