First Build In Progress

I have been applying my finish, Minwax polyurethane applyed with a brush.

these pics represent approx 10 coats.

I decided not to apply any sealers, instead opting to build the finish to fill in the grain. I tried this on a test piece with some success.

everthing was going ok with brushing until recently, so I broke down and bought an airbrush to finish the final coats.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/Gar...an/IMG_0009.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/Gar...an/IMG_0010.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/Gar...an/IMG_0014.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/Gar...an/IMG_0016.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/Gar...an/IMG_0012.jpg

I have been applying my finish, Minwax polyurethane applyed with a brush.

these pics represent approx 10 coats.

I decided not to apply any sealers, instead opting to build the finish to fill in the grain. I tried this on a test piece with some success.

everthing was going ok with brushing until recently, so I broke down and bought an airbrush to finish the final coats.

I like the style, and the wood looks great, nice idea for the natural finish. What wood is that btw? Ash? Just one thing I think'd make it look neater, and I know it's covered, but you'll always know it's there, and that's the control cavity. The rest of the build's so smart and clean it just jumped at me straight away. At least rout the edges smooth! Other than that, quality build, looks great! If the tele I'm just getting to finish looks as nice as that, I'll be well chuffed!

lol, thanks for heads up. you guys don't miss a trick. the control cavity was done completely with a forstner bit. other than the recess for the cover plate. I was going to chisel the sides flat, as you said for neatness, but then i noticed that there wan't much room for the control plate screws. I havent finished the brass cover plates yet so I might end up cleaning that up. The Wood is Black Walnut body and neck, I decided to make aneck because I had enough wood, and I figured if i mess it up I can always buy one, but I am quiet happy with how it turned out.

The Specs are;

25 1/2" scale 24 fret

Ebony fretboard (Warmouth, I did not feel up to making a fretboard)

string through bridge tele/strat hard tail bridge

Seymour duncan pickuos, jazz at neck, Seth Lover at Bridge

vintage tele/strat tuners

tele knobs

gibson style 3 way switch

all the hardware is gold covered brass.

yes that is gorilla glue lol

I dont know, I like the wood and I love teles but those routs are pretty rough. The humbucker routs dont even look like they line up with each other, not to mention they seem like theyre spaced somewhat oddly. I imagine pup rings might clean it up a bit.

I'm guessing you don't have a router? Or you didn't use templates? I've seen folks chisel out cavities, but until they've had lots of practice, the cavities end up looking real butchered. As long as the rings cover them up though, then its not so bad. I'd have to vote pretty good job for a first guitar. Have you checked that the neck and bridge will line up properly? Those are the most important things.

Great choice in wood though. I'm a big fan of walnut guitars. I'm going a curly walnut top on black limba for my next project.

I imagine he routered w/out templates. I would much rather chisel a cavity if I couldnt use a template. Even with my minimal experience with chisels I am sure I would get a MUCH better result than if I went at it with the router. But like I said, if you can cover up the rough spots you will be fine. My worry is that the PUP routs arent on cener.

The pup cavities do look off on this pic for reason, maybe its the angle, but they do line up with center. I did a complete check that the neck was center with the bridge. as for the cavities themselves, I did use a template but it moved on me during the routing, hence the chiseling to try to fix it. The pup rings and the bridge cover 99% of the F@#$ up.

Even though it will look pretty good with all the hardware on, I will always know where the mistakes are. Compared with some of the routing I have seen on here mine is abysmal. I put the final clear coat on this morning so I'm hoping that a couple days from now it will pass the fingernail test and I can go on to finish installing the hardware and wiring, setup and plug it in. Will post final pics..

I tried to rig up a template on my first guitar (still waiting to be re-routed after filling the holes). I won't tell you what I used, because I knew it was stupid when I did it and I'm too embarrassed to ever tell anyone. LOL I'm ordering a template for all future projects, and I'm going use a crapload of double sided tape on it when I use it.

What actually happened was the router bearing melted the sides of the template

I'd say. No offense, but you didnt notice that as it was happening. For it to be that bad your bearing is either completely seized, or you used the shank of the bit against the template which is going to burn/melt any template material. Why is the ear of the bridge rout look like it has been filled?

The Ear of the bridge route looks like it has been filled because I had to add wood to the ears to fill in the gap that the router left. I'm not too experienced with routers. I think overall for my very first project I Didn't

do too bad of a job. When I mounted all the hardware, the piss poor routing job is covered very effectively. As it has been said many times in this forum, If I expected everthing to be perfect on my first build, I would be setting myself up for complete failure. For any of you that had "perfect" first builds with minimun experience congratulations, but lets not forget everyone has to start somewhere. If this guitar sounds half as good as I am expecting I won't be worried about taking out the pickups to show the lousy routing job I did.

The Ear of the bridge route looks like it has been filled because I had to add wood to the ears to fill in the gap that the router left. I'm not too experienced with routers. I think overall for my very first project I Didn't

do too bad of a job. When I mounted all the hardware, the piss poor routing job is covered very effectively. As it has been said many times in this forum, If I expected everthing to be perfect on my first build, I would be setting myself up for complete failure. For any of you that had "perfect" first builds with minimun experience congratulations, but lets not forget everyone has to start somewhere. If this guitar sounds half as good as I am expecting I won't be worried about taking out the pickups to show the lousy routing job I did.

Gary, the routing is a little rough, but the main thing is that you've built it all the way through to completion, i'm still about half-way through mine and have made a few major mistakes, but I guess it's better to do them now and then vow to learn from your mistakes on the second one.

However, i'm sure with a little chisel work you could neaten them up a bit.

Good work though, lovely looking wood, i've recently purchased some black walnut and on seeing your guitar i'm looking forward to working with it!

BB

I re-inspected the PUP template I used, It was the polycarbanate one from stew-Mac. What actually happened was the router bearing melted the sides of the template, maybe next time I will make a wooden one with what's left of the plastic.

You know, I've done the exact same thing before, these things happen, but you didn't let it stop you. :D

I've had templates slide and move on me, and I've burned into the sides of the template too. You just keep grinnin' and keep on moving along. :D

What kind of wood is that anyway, Walnut or Mahogony?

check the bearing before you rout with a template...each and every time.make sure it spins freely.

i had to lube mine up a bit last time i used it toget it right,but if it is spinning properly it won't burn the template.

but yeah...it is best to use those as a master to make wood templates from.