Liquid Polymer Coating

unclej

i recently signed up to become a dr strings dealer. today i got all of their literature in the mail and they had an insert for a product called "extra string life.

" touted to extend string life and tone, reduce strink breakage and reduce string corrosion. "extra stringlife is a molecular bonding liquid polymer coating that forms a barrier between strings and the elements....is as effective in prolonging the useful life of strings as factory coated polymer strings."

so, anyone had any experience with it? good, bad, waste of money?

the flyer also stressed a couple of times that it was not mineral oil. is coating your strings with mineral oil a common practice? if so why?

and lastly do any of you use dr strings and which are your favorites. i became a dealer because i have one local band that has to drive all the way to austin to get them but i don't have a clue as to their popularity and whether or not i should carry any of them beside what the band orders.

thanks

I got some of that stuff with my last string order. It's a little bit misleading actually, because with the coated strings like the Elixir's you just throw them on and away you go, and if you wipe them down afer playing they will last ages (well at least that is my experience with acoustic strings), however the Extra String Life bottle stipulates that you need to "use before and after playing for enhanced string life". I did it for a while, but I just couldn't be bothered in the end. Thats most likely just my lazyness, but considering they say its a polymer coating that binds itself to the string or whatever, I was expecting something different. I cannot say I have really noticed a big difference in string life either, from the amount I have applied so far.

- Dan

their poop sheet did sound a bit far fetched..just curious about it.

i'm getting the strings strictly for this one band. i use d'adarios exclusively on my guitars and probably sell equal amounts of them, gibson and john pearse. i've also got a private lable deal with SIT and they're pretty good strings.

if you want a little chuckle google red headed stepchild strings..seriously.

I think Dadario's is really overpriced!

But then again, Dean markley just sound muddy on my electric guitar (until they're broken in, anyways...)

Right now i got some ernie ball 11s that i'm gonna throw on soon... and then i'll have to resetup my trem again (changing from 10s)... :D

anyone heard of firewires? canadian compagny selling Pre-stretched strings... I've yet to see some in a shop though.

I use DR Pure Blues .09's on the Strat, Hi-Beams .10's on the Les Paul. Best strings I've ever found for long life, tone, and playing comfort. DR got into a bit of trouble a few years back over the whole "The Hand Made String" thing, because they are wound on a machine, but I don't care--they're still the best string for me.

My next favorite strings are GHS and Ernie Ball, and I'll use those strings in case I can't find DR's. I've never really liked Fender or D'Addario, although I usually keep a pack around in case of string breaks because they're cheap.

all of them except my speedloader.i use floyd rose strings for that one.i don't think dean markley even makes speedloader strings yet?

AFAIK the strings (not the ballends) are produced by Dean Markley for Floyd Rose... At least if you google for e.g. "Dean Markley 8031 strings" or "Dean Markley Speedloader" you'll find those... Could be wrong, obviously. But it could also be that you are an all-around Dean-Markley-user without even knowing.

I'm with Wes here, I think it is a lot of hype, any string will last longer if you wipe the guitar down after use, unless you have one corrosive sweat...

And on the strings I have tried almost everything, but the black coated ones. And I can say that the D'Addario have been the ones that lasted the longest in my guitars, but the sound is not too bright, on the other hand Ernie Ball sucks, they corroded in a second and lost the brightness almost overnight. Right now I got Boomers (58-9) on the 7 and they are the brightest so far, but don't withstand as much as the D'Addario.

so, anyone had any experience with it?  good, bad, waste of money? 

Well at least for me it would be a waste of money. I have absolutely so uncorrosive (is that even a word) sweat and/or gentle picking that my strings (I also use D'Addario as most people here do as it seems) last forever. Last time I tried to see how lang they could last without breaking it was eight months without a string breaking, then I was fed up with them and changed them without that any breaking occured...

I like GHS Boomers. I use the zakk wylde for down tuning cuz they maintain the tension. I have tried many a string over the last 8 years and have found those to last the longest and sound the best on my guitars. I tried elixirs and did not like them at all. I think this coating stuff isnt worth it. Might as well just spend the 5 bucks and get a new set of strings.

-RAF

I'm with Wes here, I think it is a lot of hype, any string will last longer if you wipe the guitar down after use, unless you have one corrosive sweat...

+1. Wipe your strings down after you play, and they last. I've found thicker gauge strings tend to last longer than thinner ones. Anyone else seen that?

And on the strings I have tried almost everything, but the black coated ones. And I can say that the D'Addario have been the ones that lasted the longest in my guitars, but the sound is not too bright, on the other hand Ernie Ball sucks, they corroded in a second and lost the brightness almost overnight. Right now I got Boomers (58-9) on the 7 and they are the brightest so far, but don't withstand as much as the D'Addario.

I use Elixer nanowebs on my Tacoma acoustic, and I've had them on for as long as 18 months and they still sounded lively. I have never tried their electric strings. On electrics I've used GHS Boomers, Ernie Ball, D'Addario, and a couple of other no-name or store brand strings over the last 17 years. I've ALWAYS come back to the Boomers. My only problem with GHS is they don't have a wound G string in any of the Boomers sets. I don't know if I'm special, or got a bad batch of strings, but all of the last sets of D'Addario I bought last December when Guitar Center had them on sale all came unwound from the ball on the high E string. Every one of them. I thought that was just a little wierd. The GHS Boomers that went on the same guitar didn't have that problem.

As for string life, I change my electric guitar strings once every two weeks on the guitars I play regularly. I buy in bulk when Guitar Center has a special or from Wal Mart, who now carry GHS Boomers next to all the First Act guitars for some reason for just over $3 US a set.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

I buy in bulk when Guitar Center has a special or from Wal Mart, who now carry GHS Boomers next to all the First Act guitars for some reason for just over $3 US a set.

that's exactly why a lot of independent dealers stopped carrying ghs strings..i still carry their silver plated gypsy strings because i can sell them. anything else just sits on the shelf because to make any money at all on them i have to mark them a 6.99 and everybody knows you can get them at those two places we don't mention here a lot cheaper. :D