Stereo Or Mono Jack For Strat?

Ledzendrix1128

I always thought there was just one kind of jack you can get for a strat. I was so formiliar with it... and i know exactly how to wire it... and when i went to buy one... i saw that there is a stereo jack too... i know when it comes to listening to music and watching TV... hell yeah... always stereo... but for guitars???? whats the difference, and which sounds better, and do you wire them the same.... How i just overlooked the fact that there was a stereo jack.. dont ask me...

Or if you're planning on using active electronics in your Strat, you can use a stereo jack for a battery switch. That would be the only other reason to use a stereo jack. If you're wiring a standard passive Strat setup, use a mono jack - any unnecessary complications will multiply the opportunities for problems.

Or if you're planning on using active electronics in your Strat, you can use a stereo jack for a battery switch. That would be the only other reason to use a stereo jack. If you're wiring a standard passive Strat setup, use a mono jack - any unnecessary complications will multiply the opportunities for problems.

And of course the ony other other reason would be to run the guitar in stereo. Don't need piezos... Gibson has been doing it with two mag pickups for decades. Not impossible to set up a Strat for stereo outputs.

Yeah ill probably def. go with the mono jack just because Im formiliar with the wiring schematics. But I was thinkin of getting twin EMG's.... Do I HAVE to use a stereo jack for those?... EMG's i suppose complicate everything... but any advice would be appreciated... thanks in advance

One other benefit to using a "stereo jack" (referred to as TRS-Tip/Ring/Sleeve) is that you can ground the ring tab. It's quieter if you have to unplug and plug in while the amp is on, because the tip contacts ground right away, even while it's still touching hot. It also adds another point of ground contact so no matter how dirty it gets or how much cord strain there is it should be free of crackle.

The absolute BIGGEST payoff for this is when using Ibanez style barrel jacks, because the tabs in there are so small and weak anyway. I will ALWAYS choose the TRS jack, and ground both ring and sleeve. I have saved jacks from death on some of my guitars simply by grounding the ring and they're 100% crackle free now.