Guitar Playing Video Reviews/suggestions.

GodBlessTexas

I'll start. I bought John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD last month, and I have to say that in that time I've noticed my playing, specifically my technique and accuracy, has gotten a lot better. Not perfect, or even where I want it to be, but noticably better. I even managed to finally get the hang of sweep picking, although I'm only able to do 4 string sweeps right now without tripping up my left hand. Still, it's pretty awesome, as I've finally been able to break down some walls in my playing that I thought would never happen. Of course, there has been a lot of frustration with some of the exercises, but I'm sticking with them.

The only downside is that it's a cookbook of how to play better, but doesn't really talk much about what to play. I'm still looking for a book/DVD/Video that discusses more of the why of music. I can now play better as far as technique, but I still don't have much of a musical vocabulary to say what I want to say. Any suggestions on materials that will help me fix that? Unfortunately my schedule doesn't allow for lessons, even though I'd like to take them.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Well I went through a stage of "pirating" vids from guys and have a little collection...no I wont copy them for you (actually I can't!!!). I was a little disappointed at the JP vid...a little too much discipline for me perhaps, not enough playing!!!

The only downside is that it's a cookbook of how to play better, but doesn't really talk much about what to play.

Anyway, I rather think the question should be what do you want to play???

Once you work that out there's lots of good stuff, but there's plenty of bad...while some stuff is really quite entertaining with it!!!

For instance Malsteen's vid is really very funny, has live concert clips and some really good stuff. There are his solos played out for you and the gear and stuff. What's great is the guy is such a...errr...character! He shows you something then says, "I'll play that a little slower", then proceeds to play it faster!!! Got to love him for it, it's the spinal tap of instruction vids. Love or hate him, there's no denying the guy can play!

In a blues vein, Robben Ford's 2 vids are great. BB Kings collection is happening in his style and really conversational. Allan Holdsworth's is ridiculous in the way he fails to convince anyone of how he works out his tonal concepts but then blows you away in concert clips...very wierd. Frank Gamble on sweeping and his mode vid is great if you dont get that stuff (he relates it to chord progressions). For acoustic stuff with alternate tunings Adrian Legg's vid is really good...shows you exactly how he uses those keith tuners to alter tunings during a song...fantastic... Arlen Roth has some cool, solid foundation stuff and does some great stuff with guys like Danny Gatton...thats a goodie. John Jorgusons another fav.

But beware, there's a lot of dogs out there in instruction vid land. Some of the basic stuff is way to basic and you'll be wondering if learning to tune the thing is all there is!!!

But I'm off the vids at the moment...basically I'm hanging out in limbo with an acoustic guitar and really progressing from a lot of playing and learning some tunes and building arrangements.

A tip to people...instead of playing scales, play melodies. Shift them around, ornament them, transpose them to different positions, play up and down the neck (linear) along one string, turn them inside out...then, learn the chords as well and try to put the two together, or at least the bass notes. Try basic stuff, anything that comes into your head then try bits of favorite solos etc.

Melodies are just scales in application so you are learning the scales but also learning prasing and melodic development and...if anyone hear's you they'll think you're great cause you can play a tune. No punter wants to hear people run scales.

Remember, it's all just a means to an end...work out what it is you want and work towards it. If running scales is your thing (and I do it to limba up and stretch out the digits) take a little melodic fragment (perhaps form the TV ad break) and play it from each scale tone. The intervals will change in the melody but it will evolve modally.

Anywho, vids are great but they can distract you. Go for something that will inspire you or change the way you look at them but dont forget to pick up the guitar and enjoy!

2c

psw

I recently bought a guitar grimore dvd that finally helped me understand modes and theory fully.  Not 100 % sure if thats what your looking for, but it helped me realize some of the why X works with Y, and so on.

All four just got added to my "must have" list. They look like exactly what I'm looking for.

Well I went through a stage of "pirating" vids from guys and have a little collection...no I wont copy them for you (actually I can't!!!). I was a little disappointed at the JP vid...a little too much discipline for me perhaps, not enough playing!!!

Well, the Petrucci video is about discipline. It's in the title! :D And I needed some discipline. The video is all about developing and honing technique, and while it wasn't exactly what I'm looking for, it's definitely improved my playing and even made me a fan. Maybe I'm just getting older and my tastes are maturing?

Anyway, I rather think the question should be what do you want to play???

I want to play musically, no matter what I play. I've been known to play everything from country to thrash. The issue is that I want to start playing the stuff that I have inside, not other people's stuff, and unfortunately after all these years of guitar playing (probably more appropriately labelled as guitar dabbling) I never developed an understanding of the underlying musical concepts of why.

A tip to people...instead of playing scales, play melodies... Melodies are just scales in application so you are learning the scales but also learning prasing and melodic development and...if anyone hear's you they'll think you're great cause you can play a tune. No punter wants to hear people run scales.

Right, but scales have their place, because they are relatively easy to learn. They present the notes in an orderly fashion to learn, and then you can make lines and phrases out of them. It's like learning the alphabet before trying to spell.

Anywho, vids are great but they can distract you. Go for something that will inspire you or change the way you look at them but dont forget to pick up the guitar and enjoy!

Actually, the Petrucci video has gotten me focused for the first time in a long time about my playing. At 29, I have few delusions about being a rock star anymore, but I have finally come to appreciate being able to truly play. Thank you for the suggestions though, I'll look into them.

At 29, I have few delusions about being a rock star anymore, but I have finally come to appreciate being able to truly play.

:D me too at 43

Lately I've found something of my own "voice" tough in throwing everything I've picked up at actual tunes...it seems that when I let go of the technicalities and play for the song that's when I start to recognise "my" style.

To be fair though, it's probably been 30 years of playing these strings, so sure, I still run through some scales and stuff. There comes a time, if these tools (scales, etc) are the alphabet, to string them into words and stories...if you see what I mean!

It's hard to get a scale to really sound "like you", though it's an interesting idea to try.

Anyway, good luck

psw

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, just as a follow up, I picked up the three Grimoire videos off of the Bay in a package deal. They're informative, but the whole hooded guy with distorted voice being evil thing is a bit annoying. I was hoping for a tool that my kids and I could use, as they're getting into music and playing, but I can't put this kinda stuff in front of them. Also, the corresponding books contain most of the information, not the videos, but the videos are still good at giving you a visual aid when studying the books.

So, the library is as follows:

Rock Discipline: John Petrucci - Even my wife complimented me on how much better my playing has gotten since I started doing the exercises in this one. My playing is a lot faster and more precise than it used to be, and I economy pick now without thinking. I also think aliens have abducted my wife and replaced her with a decoy...

Guitar Grimoire 1: Scales and Modes

Guitar Grimoire 2: Chord & Voicings

Guitar Grimoire 3: Progressions & Improvisations

Good info, but very cheesy presentation. If you can get past that and aren't put off by the whole gargoyles, burning torches, and hooded dork with distorted voice giving you guitar lessons, then more power to you.

Next up is "Accelerate your guitar playing" by Tomo Fujita, instructor at Berklee. It comes highly regarded, and I've been exchanging e-mails with him. If you purchase it from him directly, he'll ask you about what you're into and what you like to play and then send along custom materials to you, though it's about $10 more than if you bought from Amazon or eBay.

GBT