Pedal Kits

GuitarGuy

Just like the title says anyone know a place that sells kits to build effects pedals. I'll be the first to admit im a baffoon when it comes to electronics. I rember a bit about response curves and suff from university and I know how parts work, Diodes transistors etc. But the bringing it all together part is my problem.

Any suggestions?

When I buy my pedal kits, I take it one step further and buy them preassembled. Take a look in any music store, it's fairly common.

hehe

:D

Clever. I feel wrong destroying a pedal to make it on board. Also the size of the circuitboard is my issue as well. Don't think the idea hasn't crossed my mind.

actually cedistribution sells them it really depends on what you want. i mean you can go to.

www.generalguitargadgets.com and then order the parts. as you can order the board from him. personally i alwyas say start small something one transistor and up. but basically if you want to tinker with it be prepared to sink in a few bucks to get some basic stuf. personally i would find somone to go in with me and get resistors in bags of 100 that way you could get them dirt cheap and split the cost

basic parts are pretty cheap but trial and error will cost you but teach you what works for you and what doesn't. i have used nearly every type of wire i can think of out there.and what works best for me.

I have been using the push back amp wire for pedals.. its strong. has held in place for well over a year and half now. [plus the board is secure too.] and it stays where you want it too. no worries about nicks and dings or the wire breaking where you had to strip it cause its push back. buy it in a 1000 ft role for around a 75 usd i belive i woudl have to check my sources.

Silver mica caps sound great but are not cheap. computer monitors these caps are hard to destory so they are good ones to get from other parts. for diy and prototyping purposes. for production look into ebay and when you find someone who does you right stay with them for God's sake. its so easy to get screwed by the seller, the shipping company. even neighbors [signing packages for you this was a nightmare for me].

for salvaging a good heat gun and a bunch of dead computers and monitors and old external modems as well as tv's will get you around 85% of what you would need to bread board stuff.

again it all depends on what you want to build.

and if anyone needs an OD or Boost Pedal kit i can cod them.

Boost is a two knob single transistor 3 capacitor 4 resistor two pots two jacks dc supply jack hammond 1590bb box TPDT switch and all the wire and solder as well as diagram to get you going.

Od is is a one knob[or you can have other options like two knobs]

1 IC One socket 3capacitors 1 resistor 1 pot 2 jacks TPDT switch dc jack and output jacks.

all kits have the option to have pre wired boards.

All boards are double sided plate through holes.

also if anyone in the future needs BB boxes i order them around 50 at a time. so i get a nice break. as well as TPDT switches too. i have dist acount.

ed

Do I have a business opportunity for you.
:D:D I have enough trouble breakin' even on assembled and tested stompboxes! Thanks, but I can't afford an opportunity like that! B) The profit margin is about the same as a front yard lemonade stand.

If you're lookin' for kits, try build your own clone - they've got a fair selection, and they come with boards and pre-drilled boxes. Once you build a couple of kits, you'll figure it out - you can do it yourself for about what it costs the kit maker to get everything together and send it to you. Any way you look at it, it's still always cheaper to buy a mass-produced pedal than to build the same thing. The only time I'd bother to build a clone is if the pedal is an expensive booteek box with mystical powers and a price to match, or if I'm looking for something popular that's been out of production long enough for the price to become unreasonable. But that's just me - as always, YMMV... :D

The only time I'd bother to build a clone is if the pedal is an expensive booteek box with mystical powers and a price to match, or if I'm looking for something popular that's been out of production long enough for the price to become unreasonable.

I did that recently. Built an excellent sounding Maestro Boomerang clone for $50 vs. the usual $150-200 they sell for on ebay. And I get a much better looking enclosure, too. Otherwise, it's not much cheaper to build your own, and sometimes it's more... :D

B) Hi,

Yes the build your own clone site is Big Tone Music Brewery.

Peace,

Dave

Do I have a business opportunity for you.
:D:D I have enough trouble breakin' even on assembled and tested stompboxes! Thanks, but I can't afford an opportunity like that! B) The profit margin is about the same as a front yard lemonade stand.

If you're lookin' for kits, try build your own clone - they've got a fair selection, and they come with boards and pre-drilled boxes. Once you build a couple of kits, you'll figure it out - you can do it yourself for about what it costs the kit maker to get everything together and send it to you. Any way you look at it, it's still always cheaper to buy a mass-produced pedal than to build the same thing. The only time I'd bother to build a clone is if the pedal is an expensive booteek box with mystical powers and a price to match, or if I'm looking for something popular that's been out of production long enough for the price to become unreasonable. But that's just me - as always, YMMV... :D

HI. I actually wanted to build my entire rig inscluding the amp and though that since I live in Hong KOng, and when I was those kits, basically we make those hammond boxes and I could get them cheaply for 5 Hong kong dollars(less than 1 US) and transistors and capacitors the staff of the shops will either throw it in for free or sell them super super cheaply.

But this is my critial dilemma! I hate wiring diagrams and cant read them and need to see the real circiut board made then i just follow. Thats how I do it.

And how the hell do you wire with circuit boards with only holes 25 arcoss and 25 down etc? the holes fill up the PCB. but when I see the clone pedals, they all hace PCB's which have copper lines at the back and wrds on the top!. Do I really need pro boards like that or the standard types with only holes do! Pls reply quick cos I am about to get it today hopefully.

Ash HK :D

I hate wiring diagrams and cant read them and need to see the real circiut board made then i just follow. Thats how I do it.
That is indeed a dilemma - most pcboards have a silkscreen layout printed on them, and a lot of diy sites have perfboard or veroboard layouts available, but not being able to read schematics is going to put you a long way behind if anything goes wrong or has to be modified. You don't necessarily have to know how a given circuit works, but knwing what those symbols translate to in terms of components and wires is definitely helpful during assembly and testing.