Steve Vai's Wiring

Nitefly SA

Ive been using the "roll back" technique for some time now, Found it brilliant for quickly going between distortion and "clean" whilst away from the pedal board...

Now my question is, If i attached a treble bleed cap on the vol' pot as suggested a few times in here, how much of a differerence will it really make, and will it be much better then what i currently do?

Cheers guys

~~ SA ~~

...how much of a differerence will it really make, and will it be much better then what i currently do?
It will make an audible difference - trying to quantify the subjective amount of difference, and especially whether it'll be better or worse is something only your ears can tell you. A cap shouild run you less than a dollar - try it and see!

That Ibanez wiring diagram linked earlier in this thread uses a 330pF cap. I have used 0.001uF caps on my guitars to good effect (which is also easier to get from somewhere like RadioShack). If that's still not enough for you, you could use a 0.0022uF cap.

If you're cautious about how you use the volume knob, and your amp volume and gain are cranked enough, you could get away with a less noticable volume drop. Another possibility would be to have a volume pedal after your gain circuit. That way you'd be lowering the volume on your guitar which is effectively lowering the amount of output of the gain pedal while keeping the overall volume at a constant by raising the volume with a volume pedal. However, that second option seems unlikely.

This may be a stupid question but here it goes:  If you roll off the volume on your guitar to clean up the tone, don't you also have a significant volume drop?  If so how are you compensating for it?

It really depends on how 'gain' is attained, usually cleaner passages aren't as 'loud' as distorted ones anyway. I think the cause and effect is considerably more obvious with tubed gear vs solid state. In getting high gain out of tubes, natural compression kicks in and when that heat is reduced the quazi compression effect is as well. So, a higher gain setting on tubes with the volume on the guitar somewhere around 2 will give a cleaner (varies) sound with the ability to bite on a hard stroke.

So, it sounds as if the desire is to recreate the sonic range of a big tubed amp with a little peavey solid state, you'll be at it a while. :D This almost sounds like some starters I've run into, "I want that Malmsteen sound...well, go buy a few Marshall stacks, a pricy audio engineer and *start* from there because that 15 watt Crate combo isn't gonna cut it." :D