Experience With Fine Tune Tail Piece And Fr Nut

Greetings all,

Seeing as this is my first post I want to start off by saying this is an amazing site! Kudos to all the folks who have taken their time to make it possible.

Anyhow, I am a guitarist of some 18 years experience and after tinkering around modding my own guitars I am finally getting inspired to build my own. One of the main things motivating me is the need to create an instrument that constantly stays precisely in tune (I'm a bit neurotic about intonation). To that end I had the "brilliant" idea of combining a Schaller Fine-Tune stop tail piece with a Floyd Rose locking nut. I've used plenty of trems in the past but now my playing style has gravitated away from the whammy stuff and I'm all about being able to shift to different tunings quickly and w/o a lot of hassle. So back to the "brilliant" idea...in all my years of playing I have never once seen this done. It seems like such an obvious thing but I thought I'd throw it out for discussion of the pros and cons. If anyone has links to photos to share I'd luv to see them.

Thanks

I guess it is a matter of opinion but mine is that unlocking a Floyd nut and retuning and relocking is very easy (the whole process usually takes less than a minute varying on how much you change the tune). As for the locking tuners I've had 2 guitars with Spertzels and I can still feel them bruising my finger tips after a few changes. What I am trying to get around is a the nut slots pinching the strings and bad gears on the tuners. So assuming that I do not mind locking and unlocking the is there any reason this would be a bad idea...loss of sustain, string wear and tear ect?

For the record the reason I am so impressed with this idea is I currently own 3 electrics and one accoustic. A early nineties PRS Custom, a Schecter with a Tone Pros, A 7 string Schecter with a Floyd and a crappy Ovation. Out of the whole bunch the only one that stays exactly in tune is the 7 string with the lock nut. I can play it for hours and come back 2 weeks later and the thing is perfectly in tune.

Edited by Mitzlflik

Thanks for the tip Nitefly! I knew about the transtrem but had never seen one of those. Very cool but I have this lingering doubt that the FR nut would be problematic because it requires fine tuners at the bridge (which the Hipshot seems to lack) in order to compensate for the small intonation changes caused by torqeing down on the strings at the nut. I will give this option as well as the Spertzels some more thought. I have to rethink this whole thing. I am really wanting to get around the whole traditional nut. Seeing as this is my first major attempt two areas I was planning on using a prefab stuff were the nut (FR or otherwise) and slotted compound radius fingerboard. Hmm.....

My discomfort came from locking and unlocking the spertzels as the wheel has a fairly narrow edge and is textured (serrated or whatever) to provide a grip. Unfortunately I would have to torgue down fairly tightly to lock and unlock the tuners on the G & L Legacy, consquently the edge of the wheel dug into my finger tips...If I go the locking tuner route I will probably use the Schallers instead as the locking wheel has more surface area and is more lightly textured. To better understand you can take a close look via Stew Mac by clicking on the pictures tab of the respective brands. Also thanks for the tip...coincidently I am on Tesla's e-mail list (yes I like a few hair metal bands) next time i get on their site I will look for pics.

Edited by Mitzlflik

Damn!  I just looked at the prices for the Schallers.  Can anyone tell me why a 3+ 3+ set up would be nearly double that of the 6 in a row.  Jeez I would be better to by 2 full 6 in line sets and piece-meal the two sets for the same price.

If Mini Schaller locking tuners are fine, go here:

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/tuners/tun...n=guitar_tuners

8 bucks per tuner, your choice of arrangement, 6 inline, 3+3, 4+2, whatever. I haven't actually found a cheaper source for these.

I've used the Sperzels and turning the locking wheel tight enough to hold for me felt fine on my fingers. Maybe you are turning too tight, thinking your tuning problem is tuner slippage, when it is actually binding at the nut.

As for pics, Skid Row's "I Remeber You" video - I remember distinctly wondered why a guitar with no trem had a locking nut and Frank Hannon's pic at the beginning of the Mechanical Resonance tab book is him with the SG (I think, could be Great Radio Controversy book)

One of the main things motivating me is the need to create an instrument that constantly stays precisely in tune (I'm a bit neurotic about intonation).  To that end I had the "brilliant" idea of combining a Schaller Fine-Tune stop tail piece with a Floyd Rose locking nut. 

That idea wont do stuff all to assist the intonation, any more than any other type of bridge/nut will.

One of the main things motivating me is the need to create an instrument that constantly stays precisely in tune (I'm a bit neurotic about intonation).  To that end I had the "brilliant" idea of combining a Schaller Fine-Tune stop tail piece with a Floyd Rose locking nut. 

That idea wont do stuff all to assist the intonation, any more than any other type of bridge/nut will.

I was meaning intonation in the general sense or in other words being in tune, not the luthier specific meaning of having precisely adjusted scale length and fret placement ie: bridge positioning, Earvana, Buzz Feiten, fanned fretting, ect.

Specifically the tuning that comes from elimination binding at the nut and slippage at the tuner post.

BTW thanks all, I think you have helped with my planning, currently I am considering the whole locking tuner route (the ones w/o cam or wheel).

Edited by Mitzlflik

I was meaning intonation in the general sense or in other words being in tune, not the luthier specific meaning of having precisely adjusted scale length and fret placement ie: bridge positioning, Earvana, Buzz Feiten, fanned fretting, ect.

Um, that's the ONLY meaning of intonation. What you're talking about is tuning stability.