Home Made Stain

i was doing some research on stains and i came across a website that explained how to make your own wood stain, although i dont remember the site i decided to let you guy know what u can use for home made stain(note...i have tried this method and it actually works...i just did a green and black sunburst with this method...i get some pics up when i find my camra)

what youl need...

-Vinager (ye vinager)

-food colour or a water based ink

-and a container to mix it it

what u do is put some of the vinager in the container your going to use...i use a small plastic cup....the more vinager the more stain...then you add the food colour into the vinager...the more you add the darker the stain will be.....that simple....test it out if u want to.....oh and i use a sponge brush to apply it...i fing that it applies smoother with sponge brushes but its your call... have fun....post back if u like to

Man...I thought you were going to make a stain from pigments in plants.

i know that method....havnt tried it tho...i will sooon....do u know if its n e good

No I don't but I'd though about trying it someday. The first plant that came to mind was pokeweed. It's berries makes a deep purple color....takes forever to wash off though; and I think they're toxic if ingested but that shouldn't matter here.

Edited by bugman96

Man...I thought you were going to make a stain from pigments in plants.

i know that method....havnt tried it tho...i will sooon....do u know if its n e good

No I don't but I'd though about trying it someday. The first plant that came to mind was pokeweed. It's berries makes a deep purple color....takes forever to wash off though; and I think they're toxic if ingested but that shouldn't matter here.

definatly not....and if their hard to wash off it should be good for stain...and purple is a really nice colour......soo try it out man.....tell me how it turns out.....i also read that u can use tea as stain.....but only for that sandy brown tea colour

Edited by Hollow my body

definatly not....and if their hard to wash off it should be good for stain...and purple is a really nice colour......soo try it out man.....tell me how it turns out.....i also read that u can use tea as stain.....but only for that sandy brown tea colour

Yup...tea can be used. So can coffee. My mom used to stain fabrics like this. And hey, coffee staining smells good.

Yup...tea can be used. So can coffee. My mom used to stain fabrics like this. And hey, coffee staining smells good.

lmao...thats awsom....i would love a guitar that smelled good...might just taste good also :D ....lol

bad_advice.gif

We've been through this before - vegetable dyes are notorious for not being lightfast, and food dyes are the worst, since they're designed to be eaten fairly quickly! Chances are your lovely food colored burst won't last six months. Read this (all of it!):

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=4934

Please, no more food coloring! There's a reason why everybody uses aniline and metal acid dyes! And please stop believing everything you read on the Interweb!!

bad_advice.gif

We've been through this before - vegetable dyes are notorious for not being lightfast, and food dyes are the worst, since they're designed to be eaten fairly quickly! Chances are your lovely food colored burst won't last six months. Read this (all of it!):

Please, no more food coloring! There's a reason why everybody uses aniline and metal acid dyes! And please stop believing everything you read on the Interweb!!

hey i thought it was worth a try....

bad_advice.gif

spoilsport! i was gonna lay a bunch of damp fruitloops on a piece of swamp ash and see what happened but now i'm not. :D

spoilsport!  i was gonna lay a bunch of damp fruitloops on a piece of swamp ash and see what happened but now i'm not. :D

Don't listen to him, that'll work. But you have to use homo milk at the very least. 1% or 2% just won't cut it. You need the higher fat content.

bad.jpg]

Questions you should ask yourself before you go and SPEND THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY BUYING STUFF TO REPLACE A PERFECTLY GOOD TOOL (eg: real stain)

How long does food dye last before its "used"?? Few days on a cake, maybe a month if you chuck it in the fridge... IF YA LUCKY??

What consideration or effort would food dye manufacturers take to make sure the food dye needs to last longer than that???

Why would you spend the money, and then time, making something when there is a proven solution already easily available??

Why do you think food dye suppliers use dark tinted bottles?? to protect it from UV light??

How long do you want your guitar to look like it did the day you put the stain on???

Who CARES what it does?

Take that question up at a food forum, where it belongs. :D

Or feel free to give it a run yourself at home in your kitchen and please post your guitar here after it's baked for 2.25 hours at 350 degrees, hehehe... :D

Listen up. We have gone to extroadinary lengths to explain and show people the CORRECT way to dye a guitar. There are countless tuts and threads addressing the PROPER ways to do this.

It would be a good way to relic a guitar maybe. Fiesta red would turn to coral pink in no time flat. :D I've been looking into "home made" stains myself. We know food coloring has no staying power. Its made to break down easily as its a consumable product. I think somewhere on MIMF there is a thread on making your own walnut stain, provided you have a walnut tree in your yard. Something to do with grinding up and soaking the husks or some other part of the tree, I forget. You have to decide if its worth the effort and if the results are as good as (or better than) simply buying some tried and true wood stain.

I've been using clothing dye on a few guitars. Mainly because of the wide variety of great colors available. I've had NO problems with this stuff. My maple tele was bursted with "Dylon" fabric dye. I refinished an EKO archtop a few years ago in Kingfisher blue and the only problem is a bit of yellowing (makes green) is showing up in a few spots. Thats not because of the dye, its because I used nitrocellulose lacquer as a clearcoat. Now I see why the big companies switched to acrylic lacquer in the 60's. I still don't understand why its so popular when we know the cellulose promotes fading, yellowing and checking. I don't really see a problem with using a coloring that will eventually fade a little bit. I look at it as part of the natural aging process and adds a bit of character. What the hell, if you use nitro for a clearcoat you would probably get the same results anyway.

Edited by Southpa