Identify This Wood

http://www.deanguitars.com/userpics/lib5/s...20by%20side.jpg

http://www.deanguitars.com/userpics/lib5/DSC03652.JPG

For the sake of argument going on at the dean guitars forum.....what kinda wood is this?

I say Indian Rosewood (or a laminate thereof)

Another guy says Zebrawood

....a few others were way off saying it was ash :D

So yeah, you wood experts....what is this?

Edited by mailman

I'm going to jump in with my first post here and throw my theory out there.

That could very well be a rosewood. I have a couple of small pieces of Bolivian RW that has similar dark and light chocolate striping to the picture. It could be Brazilian RW, too. Most of the East Indian RW I've encountered was very purple, but I wouldn't rule it out, either. I don't know how Dean makes their guitars, but I would suspect it may be a veneer, at that, since there doesn't appear to be a lot of "deep carving" in the curves and contours of the top and back.

I'm inclined to say that it's not Zebrawood, as it has more contrasts between light and dark striations.

Just my thoughts. :D

Pau Ferro. :D , Looks pretty light for finished IRW.

Peace,Rich

heres a pic of an acoustic in IRW: http://www.hoffmanguitars.com/WOODS1-4.jpg

so i thought they matched up pretty well

doesnt pau ferro have too big of figuring between to be this? cuz this is pretty much dark and light parallel lining

Hmmm.. I am not quite sure what you mean by too big of figuring. That is a dead ringer for well quarter sawn Pau Ferro(I have acoustic sets and drop tops just like that). It is possible it is IRW, the color is just a bit lighter than I am used to seeing. That said I have seen lighter pieces of IRW and even Darker Pau Ferro. It would be a hella expensive piece of Brazillian and maybe a bit light (I kinda ruled that one out), but who knows. Really it could be any one of several types of rosewood. The two most cost effective and plentiful enough for large production would be Pau Ferro and IRW. Kinda fun to guess :D

Peace,Rich

Here is one of my dry Pau Ferro tops (it gets a few shades darker with finish).

dry%20Pau%20Ferro.jpg

P.S. I hope I added that pic correctly.

That is rosewood, I would put money on it :D But not much maybe like A Buck B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Pau Ferro is a good answer. Looking at the guitar, it's a laminated top and back with a bolt-on neck. I'm guessing an older import? Pau Ferro would be cheaper than Rosewood, seems more likely an older import would use the cheaper woods.

Pau Ferro or East Indian would be my guesses. It doesn't look much like brazilian (even given the incredible variety there is in brazilian rosewoon).

East Indian can range anywhere from light brown to deep, deep purple. The top quality sets are generally the deeper, more purple coloured ones, simply because they're more desirable.

Various EIR fingerboards, in various shades, f'r instance:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics3/fb_eir.jpg

I think Rich is right. It has exactly the grain of EIR, I have pieces right here that look exactly like it, and I've used other types of Rosewood before and they do not look like that, and I've used Zebrawood and it is definitely not Zebrawood, not even close.

I have not used Pau Ferro before, but I've seen it in my wood guy's store and I think Rich is right on the money in that it has the coloring of PF moreso than EIR which I think, as Rich does, that is the deciding factor in the end, but it 'could' be EIR too, I can't completely rule that out.

Except to say that I think that is a pressed laminate top, and Rosewood is more expensive and harder to bend/press than PF would be, so taking into consideration which wood a manufacturer would normally opt out to (cheaper/easier) I would lean back to PF again.

My vote would be Bolivian Rosewood (Pau Ferro). I know this wood all too well. I spent 3 weeks in agony from working with it. Hives like I have never had before and never hope to have again. It's hard to say if it really is Bolivian Rosewood since it does look similar to Indian Rosewood. If I had to bet, my bet would be Bolivian.

:D HI,

To me, it looks like Andean rosewood. I've used it before and it looked remarkably similar. I have also been wrong before....regularly, actually.

Peace,

Dave

http://www.deanguitars.com/userpics/lib5/s...20by%20side.jpg

http://www.deanguitars.com/userpics/lib5/DSC03652.JPG

For the sake of argument going on at the dean guitars forum.....what kinda wood is this?

I say Indian Rosewood (or a laminate thereof)

Another guy says Zebrawood

....a few others were way off saying it was ash  :D

So yeah, you wood experts....what is this?

I have some cocobolo that looks just like that...

That ain't cocobolo, it's not red/orange enough. It can also be toxic and hard to glue, so I doubt a manufacturer would have used that.

My vote would be Bolivian Rosewood (Pau Ferro). I know this wood all too well. I spent 3 weeks in agony from working with it. Hives like I have never had before and never hope to have again. It's hard to say if it really is Bolivian Rosewood since it does look similar to Indian Rosewood. If I had to bet, my bet would be Bolivian.

Last time I worked with it, it was an absolute DREAM! I love pau Ferro. :D

I have some cocobolo that looks just like that...

That ain't cocobolo, it's not red/orange enough. It can also be toxic and hard to glue, so I doubt a manufacturer would have used that.

Last time I worked with it, it was an absolute DREAM! I love pau Ferro. :D

2nd. the not likely Cocobolo.

Pau Ferro is great stuff. To me it ranks very high all the way around. Sounds great, tuff enough for fretboards, looks great, nice strength, stable, not overly hard on the tools, and is still priced reasonably(only slightly more than Genuine Mahogany, less than half the price of Cocobolo). I have found it to be a bit better to work with than EIR.

Peace,Rich