Epiphone Les Paul Junior Refinish

Well, it looks like a first try to me, but a really good first try! :DB)

Did you do any practicing on some scrap first to get the hang of it?

It looks to me that if you spent a few weeks doing it over and over, you would be really good at that, cuz I like what I see, it just looks like an 'early' job, if you follow.

Congrats on what you did tho, I like the basic color scheme. :D

this is only helpful critisism, it is not meant as a bash or anything. I think you should sand it all down and do it again, the back looks awfull (to me anyways) And it really looks like an ameature job. Not saying i could do better or anything, because frankly, i have never tried yet.

Thats just my 0.00002 cents :D

Curtis

yeah, the whole look i was goin for was subtle, i didnt mix much blue at all. Im not a huge fan of the bright colored swirls. I figured a 2 color swirl would be good to start out. And yeah, i dipped practice objects maybe 7-8 times. Its a LOT harder than that tutorial makes it look.

this is only helpful critisism, it is not meant as a bash or anything. I think you should sand it all down and do it again, the back looks awfull (to me anyways) And it really looks like an ameature job. Not saying i could do better or anything, because frankly, i have never tried yet.

Thats just my 0.00002 cents :D

Curtis

He hasn't clearcoated it yet (far as I can tell) which is why it looks odd. Couple of gloss clearcoats, bit of buffing, that'll look damn nice.

yeah, no clearcoat yet, its getting mighty cold here... so I'm either gonna have to wait a while until i find a warmer day to do it, or find a spray booth somewhere. I'm hopin the clear coat makes it look good too. Ill be using rattlecan minwax polyurethane

I really like it! Actually, the subtlety is what makes it so attractive. It's not gaudy or even (god forbid) '80's, it's just... swirly! :D

To those of you who find that it looks amateurish, would you mind pointing out where it needs improvement? I can't really see it, and it'd be nice to know for the future.

To those of you who find that it looks amateurish, would you mind pointing out where it needs improvement? I can't really see it, and it'd be nice to know for the future.

It's called Jealousofthenewguyspaintjobneosis. Kind of like when people respond to a new guitar by saying, "It's not my cup of tea, but if you like it, it's okay".

Maaannn, No love for the gaudy swirls!?!?! Looks good dude.  Its too cold to do any more practice runs on my end, and it IS harder than the tut makes it seem. What kind of paint did you use?

I used a generic auto body primer, followed by 2 cans of plasti cote flat black spray paint as a base, then i used plasti cote harbor blue and plasti coat flat black for the actual swirl. All of this was bought at walmart for 6 bucks :D . The minwax poly spray cans are going to cost me though, im waitin for my paycheck to come in from work and then i can start clear coating. :D