Kluson V. Schaller

Ok, Heres the deal, I have a strat neck thats drilled for kluson sized tuners (simply bc its the smallest hole). I shouldn't have a problem drilling bigger holes into the neck, but thats besides the point. I was just wondering which tuners are overall better.

Kluson Tuners

or

Schaller Tuners

Both = same price, and both offer them in 6 in-line gold... So i was jsut wondering if one has better quality than the other. If the schallers are better, is it significant enought to risk chipping wood out when redrilling bigger holes for them?

I added Schaller lockers to my Strat 6 years ago and never looked back. They're awesome and definitely worth the upgrade. If you don't want to worry about chipping, just use a reamer to enlarge the holes. I used a drill press myself, but a reamer will work just as good if you don't have access to one.

My favorites are these Gotoh Vintage Locking Tuners

But that's because I like locking tuners and I like the vintage look.

Otherwise, I always use Grover locking tuners (because my guitars all have a larger hole).

So obviously I recommend locking tuners :D

I think anyone of the name brand tuners will be perfectly acceptable. I just can't believe there's any significant difference.

Huh. I mean, I don't really like the look of vintage tuners, so I don't go for those, but Gotoh's regular machines, and certainly their 510 series of 'modern' machines are very high quality, excellent tuning machines that at least match Schaller quality, sometimes outdoing Schaller, even.

Huh. I'm not saying that Gotoh is a bad company and that all their products are bad. I know that the fact I have used other sets of gotoh's on other guitars since my bad experiences logically goes against my position, but I don't think its that crazy to understand that if I bought two sets of the same tuners and they both had the same problem, then I would not buy those tuners again. Maybe I was just really unlucky, but I don't have enough money to find out :D

I know I know, its a little stupid. Its good to hear that idch liked them enough to make them his tuner of choice - maybe that will convince me to try them again one day.

Let's ignore the brand name and country of origin for a minute (although it's still important) and establish a basic premise. The die cast tuners (like the Schallers you've pictured) are enclosed, with lubricant sealed in. They also have screw-on knobs that act as a tension adjust. finally, they don't just sit in place by a set screw from behind like a kluson variant. They are locked down from the top with a nice, big nut and washer. So they're a far superior design. I have klusons, too, but I'm just pointing out the differences between the designs. If you put a locking mechanism on the enclosed tuner you're even better off.

I like Idch's Gotoh locking kluson style tuner. That's a great tuner, although the Gotoh die cast locking tuner is my favorite of all time. That combines everything good in the world of tuners IMO. AND it's less expensive than the Schallers you've posted.

As for quality variances between countries and brands, I think anything from Germany, Japan, or America will be fine. Taiwan & China have been making most of the factory tuners for a long time now, and even those are okay nowadays. I guess I don't really have "tuner snobbery" unless the tuner is so bad that it doesn't hold tune. But actually, that's what a Kluson design can do, since it's just sitting in the wood, with a little mushroom anchor on top.

In case you can't tell, I'm saying if you don't need a vintage look, get the Schallers, Gotoh (locking or otherwise) or Sperzels perhaps.

That's a great tuner, although the Gotoh die cast locking tuner is my favorite of all time. That combines everything good in the world of tuners IMO. AND it's less expensive than the Schallers you've posted.

I know of these things, but I don't believe I've ever found a place that actually sells them. Got a source to share?

Ok, kluson and Gotoh i sorta ruled out, now im looking at the style of tuner like the schaller, and the sperzel that you guys recommended. I like the idea of a washer and nut on top of the peghead vs. screwing wood screws into the back of the neck. So for a set of 6 in line gold tuners, would i be better going with the sperzels, or the schallers?

I didn't say I've used those Gotohs, only that I like them --that is, I like the look of them, and if I wanted to go for a 'vintage' looking 6-inline guitar with the smaller diameter hole, I'd consider those first. Both my strat and tele have 10mm tuner holes, so I bought Grovers. And for my other guitars, I always buy Grover mini locking tuners--because I like the look of them (they're also lighter weight because they're smaller) and the price is right.

But for the 350 I'm building I'm planning on converting the Rickenbacker knockoff tuners I have here into a variation of the Wilkinson EZ-lok. If I can pull it off, cool. If not, I'll put in Grovers.

Ledzendrix, my only advice is that you chose the tuners that have the LOOK you need. Both of your choices are fine tuners and they're both going to work fine for you. So it comes down to which set you want to SEE on your guitar.

At least, that's my humble opinion.

Unless some Tone Witch Doctor wants to express his thoughts on the effect of tuners on tone... :D

Ok, kluson and Gotoh i sorta ruled out, now im looking at the style of tuner like the schaller, and the sperzel that you guys recommended.  I like the idea of a washer and nut on top of the peghead vs. screwing wood screws into the back of the neck.  So for a set of 6 in line gold tuners, would i be better going with the sperzels, or the schallers?

Both are fine, quality tuners. I've used both, and right now, I slightly prefer the mini Schaller locking tuners in terms of looks, but both of them are perfectly suited for the job they have to do.

Um, kinda normal sized, really. Fit nicely next to each other on a 6-in-line headstock. Knob size in line with a standard vintage type tuner, as 'full size' schallers would have knobs that are entirely too large.

If you really want I can take a picture of one for you next to a Gotoh M6-type tuner.

What about the Planet Waves auto trim tuners? Have anyone used these? They seem like a cool concept... but all that extra junk means nothing if they cant hold a tune.

The red guitar I entered in the GOTM last month is fitted with Planet Waves auto-trim locking tuners. They're...OK. The auto trim feature is awesome, and leaves a very, very clean look, very easily, but they don't feel quite as 'positive' as schaller or sprezel locking tuners. This said, they kept the guitar in tune perfectly.

There's no 'extra junk' on them, really; they've got a standard thumbwheel on the back, and the hole the string goes through is angled and and the bit the shaft runs through has a hardened/sharpened edge that snips the excess string length off.

:D I totally agree. I've used the 510's on a number of guitars for my customers, and the customers have been unanimous in their approval. (They look cool, too.)

Peace,

Dave

Huh. I mean, I don't really like the look of vintage tuners, so I don't go for those, but Gotoh's regular machines, and certainly their 510 series of 'modern' machines are very high quality, excellent tuning machines that at least match Schaller quality, sometimes outdoing Schaller, even.