Output jack angle

Well, you don't want to mount it so far down that you couldn't sit the guitar on the floor and wind up having the jack-end of the cord hit the floor...dig? But it comes pretty close usually.

But not so far up on the side that it looks weird...

Do you have any other guitars with the jack placed on the side so you could lay that guitar (basically) on top of yours so you can get the idea?

I would just mount it on the front because I think it's just the most convenient place to put it ergonomics wise. Of course, it's only nice when you use an angled jack(on the cable) from the guitar, but if you do it works quite well. My RG is like this and I used to hate it, but ever since I got that angled jack it works beautifully. Mounting it down on the side makes it annoying to loop through the strap nut, and having it on the front with an angled jack makes it a bit simpler to insert and run it through the strap correctly.

But if you put it on the side those angled jacks make it look a lot cleaner and it's easier to still to route it around the strap nut. But it's not as easy and simple as the front mounted method. Although I think it might look a little bit more professional. It seems like only low end guitars have front mounted jacks, so that might be an issue for you.

I would just mount it on the front because I think it's just the most convenient place to put it ergonomics wise.

You could mount it right between the 4th and 3rd strings. It would be really handy there. :D

I'm divided on the front mounted jack and side mounted jack issue. Strats have that huge metal plate on the front face. It's really comfortable for me there, but with my latest project I refuse to cut out that much wood.

I really don't like the side jacks like those on the Tele or the Les Paul. So I'm having to really think about where I want the output jack to go and where I want the control cavity to go.

I think this is the way to go... The JEM output jack conversion tutorial...

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/output.htm

If a JEM style jack is too complicated, you can take this approach:

Slightly below your strap pin, you flatten out the edge of the body just big enough to accept a Strat jack plate.

Mount the plate so that the cord ponts straight up towards the strap, and it will automatically just fall in the perfect "loop" position.

This is similar to the JEM, but much easier to do.

Hamer's Californian model has this.

Plus having an actual plate around the jack acts as a little bit of protection, versus the bare wood on the JEM....

If a JEM style jack is too complicated, you can take this approach:

Slightly below your strap pin, you flatten out the edge of the body just big enough to accept a Strat jack plate.

Mount the plate so that the cord ponts straight up towards the strap, and it will automatically just fall in the perfect "loop" position.

This is similar to the JEM, but much easier to do.

Hamer's Californian model has this.

Plus having an actual plate around the jack acts as a little bit of protection, versus the bare wood on the JEM....

I'm thinking I'm going to create a recessed (couterbored) jack, sans plate, set parallel to the neck...

What's the routing/cutting like to accept that Fender jack like RAI6 suggested? That sounds interesting...

I'm thinking I'm going to create a recessed (couterbored) jack, sans plate, set parallel to the neck...

What's the routing/cutting like to accept that Fender jack like RAI6 suggested?  That sounds interesting...

It's just a standard Strat route, but instead of being on the face of the guitar, it's on the "butt end", below the strap button.

You just need to make sure that there is a "flat" area where you mount it, as a strat plate is intended for a completely flat mount. I'm sure you could bend it slightly at the tips, but it's not that hard to get a flat area...

Hold a powersander in the same spot for a minute or so, and that should make it flat enough.

Place the plate on the body and trace the shape, then re-draw the route inside of that line and route away!

And from there you just drill directly into your control cavity

:D

Is there a tutorial about how to put in a jack like that on the site? It's a neat look.

no theres not a tutorial but i would guess that it would be almost the same as making a Jem style input, except that its on the front and it would go at an angle back into the control cavity