Craziest Patent Application Ever

Mattia

Found this on the MIMF, but I gotta share. This has got to be the most insane patent application ever:

Clicky!

As far as I can tell, this is a patent application for: spacing outer slots on a nut between 3/32" and 5/32" from the edge, evenly spacing the strings between them, possibly even slotting for up to 12 strings (OMG!), and defining the height of the saddle (acoustic guitar, mostly, but somewhere in there it's applied to everything) as ideally taller than normal, at 3/8", and, stop the presses, using a neck angle other than 180 degrees. Preferably tilted backwards, but forwards might be good in some cases. See, taller saddle (ie, over set neck) may mean more adjustment range later! And it's innovative and NEW!

This guy's trying to patent basic guitar string geometry and layout. All of it.

This is so crack-headed I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

err, cry!

Just imagine the implications of this, if some even bigger nimrod at the patent office accepted it.

His address is on there, perhaps someone would like to pay him a visit.

Edited by Mr Alex

I'm going to pattent tuner holes, and the holes you drill for pot shafts. Oh yeah, I'm going to pattent the screws you use to attach strap buttons. What about the bone nut? That looks like an idea begging for an owner. This guy is just a tad bit ridiculous if you ask me. I'd bet good money that he knows how crazy this idea is too.

I'm going to pattent tuner holes, and the holes you drill for pot shafts. Oh yeah, I'm going to pattent the screws you use to attach strap buttons. What about the bone nut? That looks like an idea begging for an owner. This guy is just a tad bit ridiculous if you ask me. I'd bet good money that he knows how crazy this idea is too.

Not if you can't spell PATENT correctly.

:D

I'm going to laugh if ever major manufacturing guitar company filed a lawsuit for 1 million each (over 10-20 mill maybe in total? lol)

What can be patented?

Only certain things can be patented. These are: new and useful processes, machines, manufactures, or compositions of matter, or any new and useful improvements thereof. Things that cannot be patented include: methods of doing business, processes composed only of mental steps, and mathematical formulae. Most new devices and machines can be patented. Software is patentable, so long as it falls within the proper categories set forth above.

You laugh....pharmecutical companies are routinely granted patents for genes.  Not for drugs developed from research on genes....the actual genes!

Go figure.

Yes, and that's Messed Up.

I sincerely hope the EU does the same thing they did with software patents, and doesn't allow those to be patented here. The US gets screwed, maybe, still.