Dominator V 2006

After cuting out template I placed it on a wood and outlined it:

outlining1

outlining2

after outlining cut template I had removed it and traced the outline one more time by hand and this is what it looks like now on a wood that is ready for cuting:

Outlines

While doing i had to go through some tuff inspection:

The inspector

:D

Tomorrow im off to my shop for cutting wood and ill post some more pics tomorrow.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Shellac. But I use Shellac as a sealer on pretty much everything.

I like natural finish, but I'm not a pointy-guitar-fan, so don't listen to me. My worry: the weird jointing left some gaps in terms of end-grain, which will show up very visibly if you don't go opaque on the edges.

Im on to drilling cavities for neck and all the other stuff. Srry that i dont have any pics but that 'cos i get carried away and forget to take them B)

Anyways i have few things done differently than orriginal plan.

-it is now just one emg 81 hum on

-fixed ex tremolo that i broke at some point insted of tune-o-matic

-just one volume pot

-gibson mesurements for neck

-diferent head

Pictures comming soon i promisse i wont forget it this time B)

I THINK :D

:D:D

OK here is some pics of a Dominator

16.jpg

and some more

My Webpage

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/cro...Dominator/1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/cro...ominator/11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/cro...ominator/13.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/cro...ominator/15.jpg

BTW any sugestions on a new name for a guitar would be awesome!

And i decided not to do a natural finish since im not big fan of it, sugestions on a color would be welcomed.

Thx in advance to all of you!

its coming on so well! :D im already very jealous of that axe.

why even discuss colour, its black, you know its black, what KIND of black? thats the question. :D

names:

the crushinator

gisarme (it just reminds me of the weapon)

the jabbinator

hell forke

the stabbinator

• 2 weeks later...

Ok heres some new developements on a dominator:

I picked up a color for a guitar and no it wont be blk but close to it. I decided to make it metalic graphit gray

same color that honda civic used on their car lol

Talked and eventually agreed on my friends that own tattoo shop to make a airbrush blk graphic on the axe but i still think im gonna go with natural fire finish for a front of guitar(like the one LGM made on a car)

I have sended the whole body and couldnt find sealer here in croatia so ill go with plastic primer for car plastic(not sure if that is a good idea)

but not until i lose all the blisters i gained with sanding

so im taking a week off and ill post some pics as soon as i start doing something, dont wanna post pics now cos there is not really big diference in how it looks now and how it looked a week ago.

Oh yea and i decided to put my old BC Rich neck on it. It is ironbird neck with reversed head that i sended as well so it doest say BCR on it anymore lol.

and made it to be gibson scale

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys today i finally got something done on guitar.

In the morning i got my paint and started to paint a headstock just to see what would it turn out and i made my first screw up on it :D

But nothing ireversable so im just showing you the color and i would like to hear some comments on it or some ideas.

So here is pic with crewed up thingie that turned out while i was polishing it

ng009.jpg

I made my self a heat chamber so i can paint it and polish it the same day :D

Anyways heres some more pics so you can see the color better

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/cro...nator/ng007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/cro...nator/ng006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/cro...nator/ng001.jpg

Very nice desin. The guitar is comnig out very nicely but I have two comments.

1) The guitar neck seems to be deeply set into the body and it doesn't look like the upper registers will be accessible. You should seriously look at fixing that before its finished.

2) For the final outline of the body, you should use a router with a straight bit with a bearing guide so you can guide it along your template. If you plan on sanding the thing to get the final outline of the body, you're gonna go crazy and it will never be a sharp as with the router. :D

Very nice desin. The guitar is comnig out very nicely but I have two comments.

Thank you.

1) The guitar neck seems to be deeply set into the body and it doesn't look like the upper registers will be accessible. You should seriously look at fixing that before its finished.

This is not a prob since it is done on my fingers. I can reach it and it sits just great in my hand. Im not planing to sell it since tis is my second build and im still too attached to it.

2) For the final outline of the body, you should use a router with a straight bit with a bearing guide so you can guide it along your template. If you plan on sanding the thing to get the final outline of the body, you're gonna go crazy and it will never be a sharp as with the router. :D

I dont have mechanization for that just jet :D but working on that thing now. Im hoping this year ill get my self a bendsaw, good router and some other stuff. Since it is really hard to find good wood in croatia it is hell to find bits to make wooden templates so for now im using just papper and that is about it. So for now oast of work that i do is by hand and i must admitt that i konna like it that way. B) cos i am more setisfied when it is finished and even flaws that i made are telling a story B)

This is not a prob since it is done on my fingers. I can reach it and it sits just great in my hand. Im not planing to sell it since tis is my second build and im still too attached to it.

That really does look deep.

Long fingers, eh?? :D

Also..

Im thinking of my normal EMG setup (81 and 89) but a bit diferent whiering.

Elaborate pls :D

How much room do you have for mod. with active pickups?

-IR

I second that. I tried once doing it without a router and it was hell.

croaticum, you can get a cheap router that will do a much better job than you could ever do with sanding by hand. The one that I have costs like 200kn in Pevec and comes with 12 router bits. I've done a lot of routing and it still works great. Making wooden templates is not a problem at all. Just take your time and make it as good as possible and then you don't have to worry about edges of your guitar not being straight and sharp.

I'm from Rijeka :D

Why don't you use the router for the body? You just make the template and use the straight bit with a bearing guide. I doubt you'll ever make it perfect by hand but hey, as long as you're satisfied with it, that's all that matters. The guitar looks great although it does seem the access to higher frets is a bit restricted.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

It has been a while since i posted something on Dominator progress. So here is something new.

I seal it and painted it metallic dark gray here is the pic:

IMG_2238.jpg

Another one

But idont like the look of it now!! :D

The color was awesome while it wasnt clearcoated and now im not setisfied with end resould.

It, beeing, metalic paint has metal flakes that reflect in 3 color patern depending on how light hits it. And as i said it really looked cool untill it ended up on guitar.

So, now i guess ill have to strip it to the bone one more time and figure out some new color for it since dark tones doest suit to the guitar cos then it's shape is screwd up.

Im thinking to paint it, again with metalic paint but this time in silver and maybe make a wood binding edge :D

If anyone has some ideas on the color i'm willing to listen to it!

Thx for all your good advices in advance!!

Metallic finishes can be pain in the neck sometimes. You may already have done this but here are some tips:

1. Have a good sealed, smooth base.

2. Prep with a compatible white coat first.

3. Add your metallic color coat but spray very lightly..almost misting the cloud of paint above the guitar and letting it fall onto it. This will ensure maximum sparkle. Do just enough to cover the body with color and have those sparkles shine through.

4. Topcoat (lacquer) with clear until you have a really thick layer of clear. You want to make sure you have plenty of clear on there otherwise when you sand through the clear coat you will wreck that part of the "sparkle" and have to start over to make the whole body uniform.

5. Final sand and buff.

I share this knowledge with you because of the few times I have tried to strip and repaint my am std. strat metallic silver.

Good luck! I don't think that color is that awful btw. You really need to clear it with either flat or gloss...i think gloss would be a good choice. Just be aware that black guitars pick up fingerprints like a mofo.

Thx tasty,

allthou i use diferent color base paint for each paint i use. LOL that confused even me!

Anyways, i use nitro colors and as you know there is whole chart of base colors for each paint so i go by that. That way i get moast of the color i use.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm sorry i havent updated you guys on my guitar progress but i had some family probf in past few months.

My father was diagnosed aan abdomenal cancer so i was all into finding good surgens to treat him and so on.

He is ok now after surgery and finally that nightmare is behind us now.

For past 2 weeks i continued to work on my guitar project and some drasstic changes had been made.

Since this is my first full guitar built i run on a bunch of problems and i would give up on it if it wasnt for some of the GP members.

The guitar is near finished and ill have some pics of it at monday.

Regards

P.S.

Hope you havent forgoten all about me, lol :D:D