The Bat

what took me months to do on my last guitar took me half an hour with this one. my confidence is definitely up and im liking this guitar more and more! :D

I know what you mean...I can only hope my next neck pocket goes as well as yours...

The way I see it, that's the big make or break step-- now that you're past that, you're cruisin'

Especially if you have a laser level for setting your bridge placement. That helped me a LOT.

thanks guys :D

yeah matt, the wood is rubbish, but when i get my confidence up i'll buy something decent. its just in the UK hardwood blanlks arent that cheap. the best price ive found is £40, the parts for this project only cost £28, so you can see my dilema.

teisco, ive already bought a wallhanger! so even if it plays like crap, it'll at least look like art on the wall. :D

the pockect was actually very easy to work out. i just checked the depth on the old body and it was 2cm, the classic fender 3/4". i double checked it on the new body with the bridge (just in case) and it seemed dandy.

I just had this crazy idea:

What if you were to take a magnet, and wrap a coil of wire around it, and... don't tell me someones thought of this, too?! :D

Actually, this guitar doesn't strike me as terribly bat-like, but it is certainly very cool. I look forward to seeing this thing come to fruition.

• 2 weeks later...

http://deadmike.150m.com/bat_5.htm

it doesnt rain, it explodes....

after spending a week in the house frightened to go out into the -8 degrees of my shed i finally bit the bullet and routered the pickup slot. all good and well.

but after that there wasnt much to do, my rattle cans say 21 degrees for spraying. it wasnt too bad today so i bloody went for it!

and ooops.

i shook the primer for the requesit 2 minutes and did a little test spray, it was all good baby, then as i directed it to the neck it blew up and covered everything in grey blobs!

im sure all the sanding will be good practise eh.

• 3 weeks later...

its been a while since i updated this, i havent been very busy, but im now priming and sanding the body. its a lot of work.

but its been freezing here and i cant get out to do a lot of spraying, so my attentions have turned to the last piece i need for the bat, and thats the truss rod cover. i never liked the old one so my girlfriend and i have been throwing down tons of ideas, but none are hitting the spot. i dont know if its because im fussy or because of the headstock shape.

i could really use some ideas and possible designs for it, so far all ive come up with is a bat wing, bat feet, tribal designs and just plain shapes that mimic the contour of headstock. none so far have done this baby justice.

th_headstock.jpg

guitar colours are black and white, go crazy! :D

I like the headstock design in the drawings on your first page http://deadmike.150m.com/the%20bat.htm got any more door left? :D you'd have to go with three tuners on each side instead of in line though. I think it would look good if the head came to a point but I'm sure it's going to look good anyway.

By the way it was almost eighty degrees here today. :D

yeah cheers.... :D its snowing here...

i like the shape of the headstock already and i dont want to do anything too drastic to it. why mess with something that doesnt need messed with?

i just really think a funky truss rod cover will bring it in line with the rest of the guitar. i just cant get a shape or style i like.

• 4 weeks later...

still havent come with any good ideas for the truss rod cover...

these past few weeks have been... trying.... so much for the super duper filler/primer which promised the earth yet delivered nothing. i spent ages sanding it down to what i can only decribe as silk. only to then apply the black gloss and watch it run off the guitar! a primer that actually repells paint! after a bit of sanding it started to take, but like everything i try to paint, it just came out a bit sloppy.

its had more than a few threats with the fireplace and now im too mentally drained to fight with it anymore. it is what it is.

http://deadmike.150m.com/bat6.htm

not long now till its complete. :D

it looks a bit like EMG, but it has no name on it at all. its from the "Session by Riverhead" guitar, so is the bridge, so no clues as to what they are.

i think they are just the cheapest thing you can get. it wont matter, the bridge is in decent enough nick and my plans for the pickup will cover any embarrasment :D

it looks a bit like EMG, but it has no name on it at all.

If you read the post he refered to the rout on the body. EMG rout is the same as any other 2 ear humbucker. Yours got 3.

And it just look like a hum with a plastic cover one it. EMG's you can really tell, unless you have erased the letter from it. They don't wear out.

• 1 month later...

IT IS DONE!

th_thebat8.jpg

more pics in the log:

http://deadmike.150m.com/batfin.htm

It wasnt nearly as much fun as i thought it would be, certainly a good exercise into how to fix absolutely everything on a old knackered piece of rubbish and turn it into something stylish and playable.

while it has raised my confidence, it didnt exactly surpass my last build.

it sounds decent enough so im ok with it. i just wish it was good enough to give to someone, i have 6 guitars now and ive started on the seventh!

hope you enjoyed this project.

deadmike

Edited by deadmike

30762974_l.gifITS ABOUT TIME30762974_l.gif

Man I love it and its A wicked design but now for the love of antiGod use some REAL WOOD your really geting better but that crud woodish stuff you have been useing :D

Now lets hear some Sound Files!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

cheers matt. you wont be pleased to know the next guitar will be made of out of an old scafolding board :D

i hear what your saying supernova, on paper the design looked right, but when i cut the wood i knew immediately the wings werent right. it was cut... so there didnt seem like much point wasting it. i doubt i'll build another bat.

sound files up! prepared to be underwhelmed!

Edited by deadmike