Searching For A New Combo...

mullmuzzler

Recently I got this idea of getting a relatively small/mid sized tube combo. Based on my not-gonna-nor-have-lots-of-money policy, I've found these little amps to consider:

1) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gui...Amps?sku=480426

2) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gui...Amps?sku=480510

The price difference is not a big issue, but features...

Also, can't seem to see a difference between no.2 and this one except in appearance:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gui...Amps?sku=480862

Can you guys help me out or suggest me if there's something else in this price range...?

Every comment/info is welcome!

THX!

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Looking at the similar topic in this section of the forum got me searching for similar products such as Peavey Valve King, Randall rg50tc, but don't know how they sound... The only downer in the original post amps is that they both have master eq, not channel-independent, as Peavey and Randall. I'm getting a analogman's Tubescreamer TS9/808 modified pedal for blues lead boost, so, my original choice was Fender, for the blues tone and for the newer, modern tones, ergo, I thought of Hot Rod Deluxe. Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube seems like a real nice choice too. It is 20W (Fender has 40W).I'll try them out more thoroughly this week along with Peavey and Randall. Luckily, they are all available at the same store. I'm not getting this kind of amp for blues only, but for tube sound in general. I'm also playing modern a-la-Petrucci music... I don't have lots of expirience in this whole tube thing... :D Ideally, I'd get me a Diezel Herbert amp, but they go around 4,000 $... :D or at least Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MkII...

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Edited by mullmuzzler

Randall RG50TC seems great! I've tried it and, in my opinion, it has more punch and more in-your-face sound than Hot Rod. The store is getting Peavey Valve King and H&K Edition Tube in a couple of days, so I'll try them out later this week, along with Randall.

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Edited by mullmuzzler

Randall has two separate channels. BUT... It's made in China. I dunno... Hot Rod's made in USA, or...? H&K is made in Germany, as far as I know (or I am SO wrong). I read somewhere that Hot Rod has more power and that its distorsion comes earlier as you turn the gain, at around 3, instead of 6 or 7. What is the story about the amp wattage and saturation? :D

BTW, the price difference goes like this:

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe = 660 Euros

H&K 20th Anniversary = 650 Euros

Randall RG50TC = 535 Euros

H&K is the only one that doesn't come with the footswitch. As far as the footswitches go, Randall's gotta most rugged one + it has 4 switches... Dunno... I'll have to check a Marshall or two, just for comparison, since Randall has that kinda tone...

Haven't tried (yet) Peavey's Valve King 112. This one's in the neighbourhood of 600 Euros.

Can you recommend any good sites about guitar tube amps and tone, amp reviews ...?

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Edited by mullmuzzler

I would stop being so concerned about where they are made and footswitches and all. Just play them! Let them sell themselves to you. Tube vs solid state doesnt matter too much either. I have a few tube amps and I like the sound of my cheapo Crate more, so its about how they feel to you. And we cant really tell you how you feel.

Or save up s'more and get a Rivera R55. Second hand if you gotta. I've got a TBR-1, and other than the fact it's the least practical amp in the world to gig with (amp only -> 50 lbs), I love it to pieces.

Honestly, tubes make all the difference in the world to me. My guitarport's fine to play and record with, but the Rivera blows it out of the water with the 'air' its got in the sound.

I would personally recommend getting a Traynor YCV40 WR. I own one of these amps. They seem to go around $600-700. They are extremely versatile amps. They come with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker, which is one of the best in my opinion, and it is very class looking.

I retubed the amp with the regular retube kit from eurotubes.com (go to shop online, they have them there) after about 8 months of playing it and it sounds even more amazing than it did when I bought it.

If you like EL84 tone, then they have the YCV50, but I felt that the 40 had a smoother tone with its 6L6's and is my personal favorite amp.

Clean Channel- Very smooth and with the bright switch engaged is can be shimmering and chimey, perfect for a slow arpeggio or chord progression. Without the bright switch engaged, I think it is very well suited for Jazz/Blues, and you can dig in to get a little overdrive with the volume over 3.

Overdrive Channel- Creamy distortion with tons of sustain and clear harmonics. You hear every note in open chords all that way up to gain level 7. It can go from bluesy to rockin in a second, and the boost switch adds some mids and volume, to let you really shred up the leads.

I highly recommend this amp.

ONE MORE THING:

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/mb/item.asp?ic=YCV40WRKIT has it for 619 instead of 669. If you want to buy from MF you could get them to do a price match (Thats what I did).

REVIEW SITES: www.harmonycentral.com (its currently down, along with half of the guitar community but it has the largest amount of reviews I have ever seen)

Edited by bohoo2u

Randall RG50TC seems great! I've tried it and, in my opinion, it has more punch and more in-your-face sound than Hot Rod. The store is getting Peavey Valve King and H&K Edition Tube in a couple of days, so I'll try them out later this week, along with Randall.

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Bout a Randall RG50TC last week

Its truly superb.

Utterly stunning.

Doesnt really do modern Metal, but does Modern rock so easily.

The clean channel does a great ACDC sound.

So happy with it!

@bohoo2u:

This Traynor looks interesting... What is the difference, besides appearance, between YCV40WR and YCV40? I cannot seem to find it in any store near me. I would like to know how it handles blues clean and drive, as well as modern drive sound without any pedals?

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

The WR model has a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker, while the standard has a Celestion Red Label speaker. Other than that, they are pretty much the same besides looks. I think the extra money for the WR is justified because of the Vintage 30.

It can definately get you blues clean and drive. The modern sound is also attainable if you crank the gain up

and dial in the right eq settings. It can go from one end of the spectrum to the other with a couple of flicks on the dials.

Heres a sound clip I found of the amp (I dont have any recording stuff because my computer sucks):

Definately not the best guitarist, but what the heck:

http://www.mv2media2.com/mp3_request.m3u?m...y_13_2006_1.mp3

Heres a sound clip I found of the amp (I dont have any recording stuff because my computer sucks):

Definately not the best guitarist, but what the heck:

http://www.mv2media2.com/mp3_request.m3u?m...y_13_2006_1.mp3

Man, thanx for the soundclip. Nice sound, very nice. One thing I have discovered during my "quest" was to have an amp with separate tone controls for each channel. I think that having master tone controls narrows you to use one chanel and a pedal, cause tone settings for clean and dirty are more often different than equal (in my experience, at least). This amp has really gotten my attention... The price is OK, but MusicianBuy do not ship internationally, which is a bummer, cause I need it shipped to Europe. MusicianFriend ships internationally (I think), but the price is higher (50$)...

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

I have to tell you this is a great amp... both my guitar teacher and a relative of mine have that amp (respectively the normal one and the WR) and they sound REALLY great.

My own amp seems based somewhat on the same circuicy (it really sounds the same as my teacher's amp and has the exact same controls anyways...) and you really can hit everything... Good clean channel and really great distortion. Without boost, it sounds really vintage, and with it sounds modern/metal.