Hardtail "rainforest" Jem

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers fellas. I'm not 100 percent sure about the body yet. I know the back/sides of the body are gonna be the same colour, and the face of the guitar is definently getting the design on there, I just don't know if it's going to have that same green underneath it as a background colour.

Dunno if that made sense, but regardless, it looks way better than the old green.

Getting the routing done tomorrow, and bought a "The Breed" neck pup.

A breed neck pup. For the bridge... Damn my innattention.

Did I just destroy any chance of getting a good sound out of my guitar, if I go ahead and install this pickup?

In the bridge position, it has a very warm, hot PAF® tone--really smooth, with nice harmonics.
- Dimarzio website, regarding the breed neck humbucker. Edited by neocon58

Getting the routing done tomorrow, and bought a "The Breed" neck pup.

A breed neck pup. For the bridge... Damn my innattention.

Did I just destroy any chance of getting a good sound out of my guitar, if I go ahead and install this pickup?

In the bridge position, it has a very warm, hot PAF® tone--really smooth, with nice harmonics.
- Dimarzio website, regarding the breed neck humbucker.

I think itll still sound ok at the neck, if not just shift it to the bridge and buy yourself another neck pup.

However i still think it should sound "ok", Give it a go and find out :D

~~ TS ~~

B) Nice work so far. I LOVE the matching headstock and pickguard, very cool. There shouldn't be much differance between a neck version of a pickup and the bridge verson other than the string spacing of the pole pieces (will be slightly smaller on a neck pickup) and bridge versions tend to have a few extra winds to give them some extra oomph. :D Can't wait to see some pictures of the body now its closer to being done :D I wanna see how much worse my good routing is than your bad routing! :D hammer and chisel all the way!

Robert

I'm kind of ashamed, it's like an extra large universal rout...

But it looks clean now at least, and everything actually fits in.

Sprayed on primer and the green, but do to my lack of patience & prepwork on the wood, the metalflake looks like ass. So rather than sand back and fix the wood, I'm just going to sand back, get it reasonably ok and then chuck on a regular gloss colour, no metal flake. Otherwise unnoticable errors on your woodwork jump out like a sore thumb with metalflake.

you sure seem like ur on a hurry with this project...I sure know I am...I have 4 days to finish off routing, paint, dye top, clear, wait patiently and then polishing by hand my "rokeros AT1" to hand in .

Not to derail this guy's thread. But 4 days to do your entire finishing of the guitar?!?!? All I'm saying is "Good Luck".

Yes, good luck with that man, you'll be in a hurry!

I put some regular green stuff on, called plastikote shamrock green, heard mixed messages about it on the net but decided to try it out anyway.

I've only just chucked on one good coat and it already looks pretty damn good. Nice and thick too, which is exactly what I'm looking for with the wood. Covers up the crap quite well. It's a pretty cold day, but I'll do another good coat this afternoon and just keep goin until the can is over, and maybe, depending on how she looks, chuck on another can.

The best case scenario, which looks quite possible, is to get the body * headstock to my friend who is painting the design(s) this week. Ideally she could paint it over the school holidays, whilst I go wire up all the electrics except the output jack. That way, once I get the body and headstock back, all that is left is the clear coat and assembly/setup.

Looking foward to it? I am! I've been a lazy bitch with pictures but, soon, soon.

Image000.jpg

Image00hj5.jpg

Imajge006.jpg

First coat, rough, a bit patchy, but i'm not worried considering a lot of it, perhaps even some of the back and sides, will be covered by the design.

It looks much better with the other coats on it now. It will probably go to my sisters house tommorow for painting the design, be stuck there for a while, and when it comes back i'll finish the body with clear coat & polishing.

EDIT: Another thing, sorry to those who were looking forward to it, but I threw out the handle idea! I just decided I may as well leave more wood to paint the design on, hell it will save me some time too. It's only a novelty to me so I'm not fussed.

Edited by neocon58

Update, finished the green, slightly patchy, but not too worried.

Installed input jack, sits just below selector switch, so it's a damn far way from the normal input spot, but I don't care. As this project progresses it is quickly turning into one of those babies that only a mother could love (ie: ugly as sh!t).

Lol, nah it's not that bad, in my eyes. The design is going to cover, or at least direct attention away, from my crappy mistakes :D.

Went to take some mockup pictures today, strap buttons & all, but I dropped the damn pickguard, half loaded, and broke the damn pickguard! My beautiful shiny pickguard is broken! It was a reasonably clean break, occuring thru the top height screw of the bridge pickup, so the broken area is pretty small. I glued it back together and, whilst it looks ok, it's never gonna be the same :D.

Hoped to pass off the body for painting today, but dosen't look like that will be happening till tomorrow.

Imagehui000.jpg

Image001.jpg

Edited by neocon58

Done some more woodwork, so ALL the woodwork is now done, basically just have to paint and assemble now! YAY!!!!!

Not the most up-to-date pics, but more will come eventually. My sister is taking the guitar to be painted tomorrow, and depending on when I get it back I'll either spray the clear myself of get a family friend to do it will all the proper gear.

Picture002.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a309/neo.../Picture027.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Edited by Maiden69

Just a question. I'm putting a bridge pickup in the neck position, and a neck pickup in the bridge position. I did this without even realizing it. So the pole pieces at the neck are going to be too wide, and the pole pieces at the bridge are going to be too narrow.

Apart from just looking stupid, will this be detrimental to the sound in anyway?

Either way, in the future, I'll grab a Tone Zone, Evo or some other bridge pickup when I can afford it, replace the crappy puretone and put the Breed pickup in the neck where it belongs.

Edited by neocon58

It'll sound fine as long as the pickups are balanced, buuuut if the puretone has a higher output than the Breed, then they won't sound right when blended and the neck sound will be really heavy.

Breed necks usually work well in the bridge position with a vintage-output pickup in the neck, according to DiMarzio.