Hardtail "rainforest" Jem

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, thanks for the feedback guys.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible that I'm gonna get more hum by having the input jack in the control cavity and not it's seperate cavity?

I'm waiting for the neck to settle in (it's a being a bit iffy...stay posted), then I'll chuck some strings on again and see how it sounds. It seemed to be humming quite a bit first time round.

The wire I'm using isn't the best. The original shielded wire or whatever it was broke off, leaving me using hookup wire for the earth and input wires. Also, should I be grounding the bridge somehow?

Edited by neocon58

I'm not positive on the "cause" of humming. But one of my older guitars (Peavey) sounded horrible using certain distortions because of the crazy hum I would get when I was playing anything. After I shielded the pot / pickup selector cavity with copper tape, it killed a great deal of it. Using a noise gate can also get rid of that hum, but it's not as cheap as copper tape. :D

Ok, I'm having some serious issues with the neck.

I screw the neck in all fine, it fits nice and snug in the pocket, and I chuck some strings on. As I'm tuning up, they continue to go flat. I assume this is just because they are new and keep going. I notice the action is all over the place. I look at where the neck joins the body and the strings are slowly pulling the neck up and out of the pocket.

I Thought I'd be a smartass and make the guitar a 'set neck', by combining normal screws with liquid nails! I let it set over a few days, chuck the strings back on and it looks ok for a while, but now I can see it's still pulling up, just slower. I'm not talking about subtle movements either, this thing looks like it's about to do a flip right out of the pocket!

So I'm stuck with a guitar that's 99% done, and absolutely stumped on how to keep this damn neck in place.

Is the neck actually pulling out of the pocket or is it just bowing in front of the joint? If it's bowing, tighten the trussrod a little, if it's pulling out of the pocket, your screws might either be too small for the holes in the neck or they may not have enough bite to hold it in place.

You probably need to drill out the old screw holes and fill them with a wood plug cut from similar wood. You can fill them with dowels but the grain runs the wrong way so its better to make a proper plug with the grain running the right way using some kind of hole saw.

A cheap fix is to use some matchsticks in the holes to take up any spare room or run CA glue into the holes to harden off the wood thats there so the screws hold better but i probably wouldnt trust these on a neck join.

First thing you need to do is get the neck off and clean out the liquid nails, this needs a proper structural repair. Check the screws are ok as well.

Is the neck actually pulling out of the pocket or is it just bowing in front of the joint? If it's bowing, tighten the trussrod a little, if it's pulling out of the pocket, your screws might either be too small for the holes in the neck or they may not have enough bite to hold it in place.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm quite positive the screws you're using are too small now. You probably put the neck on so many times that there isn't very much wood the screws are grabbing onto. Easy fix!

I got some better screws now and it's holding no problems. My truss rod tool is stuffed, all chewed out from other projects lol so I'm thinking I'm just gonna take it to a shop and get it strung and innotated. and on top of not having the proper tools, I have stuff-all time to work on it (and do a GOOD job) at the moment, so I'm better off taking it to some chap who knows whats up.

Edited by neocon58