Wild Thang!

My girlfriend did the swirl and the idea was from a van gogh. Its really simple to do. just buy some brushes get some paint. Draw circles on the guitar, paint the out line but don't go all the way around skip some spots and work your way inward. Start with one color and then move to the next... actually it doesn't take much painting skill at all. thanks

steve

I like that a lot! You don't see too many hand painted guitars around here--usually it's dye or a burst or something-- so this gets a lot of points in my book just for the originality.

It's interesting too that it was based on Van Gogh's work; the moment I saw it, it just screamed Starry Night at me.

That said, what are you doing for the electronics/neck? Purple pickup covers, perhaps?

I like that a lot! You don't see too many hand painted guitars around here--usually it's dye or a burst or something-- so this gets a lot of points in my book just for the originality.

It's interesting too that it was based on Van Gogh's work; the moment I saw it, it just screamed Starry Night at me.

That said, what are you doing for the electronics/neck? Purple pickup covers, perhaps?

No Purple Pick cover... I think thats just too much purple.. i wanna find like a hendrix cream pick guard to match the fender stacked humbucker pickups that i am going to put in it. I like to do a lot of hand painted stuff i think everything that you guys see of mine will be reall wild. Someone said something about getting paint in the neck cavity (sorry i hate being a newbie) ? Is that a problem and if so is there a way i can fix it?

I appreciate all the feed back

Steve

this is another project i am working on. The only colors sprayed on here are black (for the back ground), Red for the back ground in spidey, and the blue for his legs.. everything else was done by hand!

th_spideyguitar012.jpg

Edited by Venom300

I love the spider man one, are there going to be painted pickguards on any of these, it would make them look that bit better. :D

I would like to paint on the pickguard put i find that i run into the problem of the airbrush paint flaking off. I would do it if i knew there was some way to get them on there and stay on there! I would love if someone could tell me if there is a spray i could get?

steve

Epoxy primer also stick to everything. Unfortunately, everything includes your lungs. It's best to spray something like that in a paintbooth with a positive pressure air supply.

actually when i get my own place here in a few months my dad was talking about helping me build a paint booth. So im hoping to be able to do a lot more complicated stuff here reall soon.

I love the spider man one, are there going to be painted pickguards on any of these, it would make them look that bit better. :D

I would like to paint on the pickguard put i find that i run into the problem of the airbrush paint flaking off. I would do it if i knew there was some way to get them on there and stay on there! I would love if someone could tell me if there is a spray i could get?

steve

You could do it the same way that the RC car guys do. They use clear bodies and paint them from the inside. This way the clear material provides the protection and gloss. It takes some pre-planning as everything is done in the opposite order. Hobby shops carry paint that actually bonds to the lexan and stays flexible. Their are both solvent based and water based types. the solvent based (Pactra, I believe) come in the same size jars used for most airbrushes. The question would be if you can get a clear pickguard. It looks like pickguards.com offers clear acrylic, that may work

Nice finish, but you shouldn't have gotten paint in the neck cavity! (or did you tape it up?)

Nobody every answered my question to this? I didn't know you couldn't paint the neck cavity. Can i just sand the paint out or is my guitar ruined?

I'll definately check out the clear pickguards... if i were to use plastic paint on the guitars would it stick to the plastic and could I clear over that just like a guitar? Because I have an airbrush gun (alll be it a crappy one) I saw an airbrush guitar on this site, pickguard and all. So its gotta be possible I'll work on it. But The next question is what should I airbrush on this Pickguard. I was originally gonna put hendrx in sillhouette form somewhere on the guitar. (it was origianlly wass be a van gogh based artistically but hendrix influenced by sound) Should i try it on the pick guard? Let me know what you think?

Steve

I think you'll get the most durable results painting the design in reverse order on the back of a clear acrylic pickguard, like mentioned above. As far as the neck pocket goes, if your neck fits in their perfectly and is totally uneffected, then there's not problems. However, odds are that won't be the case. Simply sand away the paint in the neck pocket so the neck fits in it propperly. For future reference, just tape the thing up.