Gibson Spirit Guitars.

sepultura999

I've been seeing these Gibson Spirit guitars here and there on ebay. Is this even sponsored by Gibson or what? They look pretty crappy to me.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GIBSON-SPIRIT-LP-GUITAR...1QQcmdZViewItem

ABOUT GIBSON/BALDWIN MUSIC EDUCATION

For over 100 years Gibson guitar and Baldwin Piano have made an unmatched commitment to musical excellence. This commitment has not only been to produce the world’s finest musical instruments, but also to support and promote music education. Under the sponsorship of the parent company, Gibson Guitar Corp., has made significant contributions and will continue to donate to various charities whose mission promotes music and music education. In furthering its commitment to music and music education, Gibson Baldwin Music Education is proud to introduce a collection of introductory musical instruments. GBME is a collaborative effort with the Gibson family, designed to provide beginners of all ages with a quality musical instrument. We hope your GBME instrument will provide you with a wonderful step in your musical journey.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GBME/Sub%20Pages/About%20Us/

Oh and since when are low-end epiphones not good enough $150-$200 guitars for beginners?

The difference is probably purely distributional in nature. You sell Epis to music stores you sell the other brands to toy and electronic stores. The Epi's don't then get the "department store" stigma, and your still have a much wider distribution channel for your wares.

I wish I could work out who Estaban is...I even checked out his web site...but I still don't get it...must be living too far south of the equator...we seem to be Estaban free!! :D

Anyway...what is the matter with Gibson!!! They have, way back when, made some great "student models" and occasionally something worthy of their former glory...well almost (I'm thinking the no frills Les Paul studio models). But why would they seek to have any recognisable connection with such POS as these things. Fender's squires may not be that great, but this is atrocious!!

What are these guys on!!! They have so much potential going to waste. Nad when they do try to innovate, they come out with the old RD (well they were trying...what they were trying is anyones guess) or now this rediculous Magic pickup system (if it ever comes to fruition it will be too late...what ever it is supposed to do). You could do quite a thread on Gibson's most rediculous products...what were they thinking with that can opener shaped guitar??? Someone in R&D must surely not been taking their medication, taking too much, or swapping it amoungst eachother down there in Gibson Land! I see they have now scaled right back most of their custom shop models too and signitures...what the...!!!

How can such a company with such a heritage and brand power survive with such amazingly inept marketing strategies. Perhaps we should start a thread, or here, as to what gibson should be doing instead of what they are doing.

Of course, we can only blame guitarists inheirent conservatism, but surely gibson could be more than simply the Les Paul. The Explorer and Vee were excellent attempts, but there really hasn't been anything quite as adventurous since. Maybe the folks at Project Guitar could give them a heads up...

For instance...instead of pursuing PRS for the single cut, perhaps they should have recognised that PRS were simply doing the obvious that Gibson couldn't see for themselves. If Gibson had come up with the PRS design they would be a major player...but as it is they seem to be going the way of the dinosaurs!!!

Too strong?...pete

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's first guitar was a serious POS!

Not just the first guitar. ATM the guitar I choose to play is a POS even though I own a genuine LP!!!

No, my point was that in the past Gibson had quality "student" models such as the Melody Maker and Les Paul Jnr in the past and they already have the Epiphone brand under their wing. The world is filled with ply POS guitars...does it need one with the added cost of the Gibson association.

And, if it does...how about a neck thru (so the solid timber goes right through) with strip timber or "ply" wings, a single pickup with simple controls and a choice of shapes, LP Xplr V etc. Surely in the age of CNC they could produce something like that!!

Oh well, nothing against budget guitars, I love them...just think they could be a little more innovative if they wanted to evoke the "spirit" of the Gibson name... pete

Oh well, nothing against budget guitars, I love them...just think they could be a little more innovative if they wanted to evoke the "spirit" of the Gibson name... pete

They do have Les Paul and SG version's but yeah, the LP Jr & Special we're just fine and it would be nice if they didn't want over $700 for them now. :D

My very first electric was a sunburst LP copy from the Sears catalog. As was already stated, the planet is full of POS plywood guitars, does Gibson really think they'll put a dent in that market by putting axes in toy stores??

After the Sears special, once I got good enough that the instrument was holding me back, my very next electric was a sunburst LP Custom from Gibson. That's where Gibson should be.

The thing I love most about this thread is how people - who completely aren't these guitars' target market - are all up in arms about how bad these guitars are.

Kind of like the Sultan of Brunei complaining about the quality of a Kia Rio.

Seriously, the venting of your spleen over something that you'd never buy anyway. That's just kind of silly, no?