Mahogany Strat

i just scored a nice piece of mahogany and was thinking of a making a strat instead of the usual lp shape everyone does with the wood. just wonderd if anyone else had one made of mahogany or had any comments on it.

i've never actually made a strat from mahogany..or any other wood for that matter but there's no reason why you couldn't. there have been plenty of them made from it..it's a nice wood to work with and a great tone wood.

good luck.

I say go for it, although I've never made a Strat using Mahogany either. You should get a good tone, as there are people who have used Mahogany before, and even Fender has some models that use Mahogany. If you need any guidance on building a Strat, you can read my old pictorial at this link.... Hopefully it will help your building go smoother. Good luck..

The guy from Weezer used a mahogany strat made from Warmoth parts for just about everything '94 and back.

Forget about it sounding like a Les Paul. It's not going to happen if you build it like a Strat. Even a PRS built like an LP in the shape of a Strat can't quite nail it.

One of the other strats I built was a mahogany back with a maple top, but it had a tom strings thru and hums. I did split both hums which gave it a really cool sound. I did have a kind of lp sound. didnt really sound like a strat at all, plus it was really heavy.

MzI

My first was a warmoth parts guitar, mahogany body (no cap), mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard, vintage-style trem, and....EMGs, Piezos, lots of knobs and switches. So, like, no, it doesn't sound like a strat or a Les Paul. Nice guitar, though.

I'd agree, it's not going to give you the same vintage Strat sound, as Ash, or Alder that Fender uses. Nice point mattia.

a strat instead of the usual lp shape everyone does with the wood.

Can you spot why this statement makes no sense B)

Look, if you don't wan't to make a LP because it's what "everyone else does" (I've only seen a few LP guitars on here) than why would you wan't to make a strat :D Same problem, but more so!! :D

Strat throwing down some sketches and make your own body design if you wan't something unique.

Edited by Godin SD