Got A Start On The 2x4 Special.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA THIS THING IS WICKED MAN!!!!!! :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

I cant wait to play it, Im going to weigh this thing when its done, I'm thinking 5 lbs tops. Maybe 6.

So I got the carve done. I like the look of it and I'm thinking I might make a real wood one at some point.

pine38.jpg

I did a fuw other things but im still waitin on the 3-way selector and strings to come in the mail so I can string it up and try it.

Got the tuners all lined up

Started the brass nut

Cut to size

Nut slots scored

Installed but not radiused or anything yet

Side profile, Fits like a glove

I want one of these things man!! its looking soooooo damn cool, I really hope it sounds good

I have been checking this one out for a while... I can't stress hard enough that you need to do the same with better woods... I know that this is a lower cost build and all, but the effort you are putting to it deserves a better looking and sounding wood.

I couldn't see myself investing all that time into a pine and plywood guitar...

That said great work!!!

I have been checking this one out for a while... I can't stress hard enough that you need to do the same with better woods... I know that this is a lower cost build and all, but the effort you are putting to it deserves a better looking and sounding wood.

I couldn't see myself investing all that time into a pine and plywood guitar...

That said great work!!!

SO TRUE!!! Man think of this this with a chambered figerd Koa back and A wicked Flame maple top :D

I still love this thing as is but man cleary you have the know how and you should be doing something with some nice hard woods

The title mentions that this is for the all constuction materials contest coming up on March 12. Trust me if that were not the case i would be using the flame maple and kickass piece of quarter sawn ash I have behind me. Mostly this is to stick it to the nay sayers, a guitar can be built and built well with any material you can dream up.

Mostly this is to stick it to the nay sayers, a guitar can be built and built well with any material you can dream up.

Exactly...

This kind of quality build was not quite what I had expected form the idea of 2x4 special. Obviously a lot of work has gone into it that could be better applied to better woods. But it does address a lot of questions and gives an element of freedom to do what you want I suspect...a bit of fun!

If a guitar made well out of cheap materials...would it sound so bad (say compared to a badly made guitar out of expensive materials)...if so, how so, and how bad anyway...

It follows that kind of tradition of Taylor's "Pallet Guitar" (although to be fair, they did choose AAA pallet timber, hehehe)...can workmanship compensate a little for sub-quality materials?

Can a material such as pine be used effectively with enough ingenuity...a super hard finish to protect it (not so far from some of parker's glass coated guitars) An appropriate material for working surfaces (such as the fret board here).

What will be the longevity of the creation. All these things will be examined but actually doing this. If it isn't done, endless questions will arise about the use of pine and such with the answers, though well considered, will still come off as speculation...this type of project may give us a handle on the facts!!

It would be a little distressing if the neck turns into a banana as soon as it's strung up, or the fretboard pops off from the strain on the rod to keep it straight...but hey, all in the name of science...It may have a really interesting sound and hold up quite well.

The neck may be a bit dubious (though with a tough exoskeleton, it may well be very strong) but it occurs to me that many acoustic guitar tops are made from very lightly braced and thin softwoods with the strings fastened to them by the bridge. Likewise, a 355 is essentially a plywood topped guitar, and some guitars, like strats, have significant areas of plastic on their tops!

Anyway, Fantastic "work", And I'm quite liking the carved through laminations as well. Good luck... pete

Oh...and if the thing is a "dog", you got to drink the beer and salvage the parts!!! :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence Pete. Now I got another question for ya. This is Starsky and Hutch I undestand they're native to Austrailia. So are they like here where we get tons sparrows, "swarming" for lack of a better term, over trees telephone poles and the like. Or are the like a ground critter that only flies a bit? Im just curious.

Anyway, not much to report. The polyester resin is not hardening very well on my test piece and I cant figure out why. So im thinking a little z-poxy as grain fill and leave it as that. I'm going to wait till the idea is proven before commiting to putting a finish on it.

I got the jack plug drilled after a few test holes.

pine44.jpg

Recess drilled and drilled for the jack.

And its not a dog! lol. Its a horse. Bonus points if you can tell me where its from. Triple word score if you've puked on george street.(If you've drank that beer you most likely have been in one of the many bars on george street)

They have a drive through liquor store there as well.

the project is looking fantastic. hopefully i will be entering this prestigious category as well, (my first build, so thought it better to destroy pine before my maple and mahogany!! :D )

btw if its a horse on the cap it must be fosters beer (cause it tastes like horse p*ss, hence why we export it instead of drinking it!! :D )

i can't think of a pub in south australia that doesn't have a drive-thru, is that an uncommon thing in canada??

cheers

darren

Thanks for the vote of confidence Pete. Now I got another question for ya. This is Starsky and Hutch I undestand they're native to Austrailia. So are they like here where we get tons sparrows, "swarming" for lack of a better term, over trees telephone poles and the like. Or are the like a ground critter that only flies a bit? Im just curious.

OK...here's a link...

Australian Finches

We do have some cute looking birds amoungst our wildlife, often they are found in the pub on a lazy sunday arvo, mate... :D

Actually, we have sparrows...someone thought a bit of England might be a good idea, as if we didn't have enough wildlife, they brought along a few and foxes, rabbits, camels, toads...let just about everything in...they all seem to love it...

I spent a couple of months last year living on a beach so saw plenty of critters about...got some amazing parrots in the backyard here and ring tail possums and furry bat things flying around at night...and I live in the city now! Got to watch out for 'roos, a friend of mine demolished the front end of his car driving to work early in the morning...thing chased him then hopped right out in front...some of them are 6 feet tall you know and can move pretty fast!!!

No, I'm too far south for those particular birdies but they do fly in flocks like sparrows, yes...somewhere...got some pretty wildlife though, I'm just begining to notice them again. Hey Dash, it says they are in S.A. you ever see red beaked finches down your way??

Back on topic...plenty of Pine plantations here too! So, how do you think this 2x4 is going to sound and hold up...any guesses before you string it up...been tapping the timber knowingly or anything?? pete

Thanks for the link and the info. Those are the family pets so I thought I would ask. They're funny little critters none the less.

Ok, enough of hijacking my own thread, back on topic...

I did some tap tests on the lumber and all It sounded like I was some crazy guy in the hardware store tappin on wood! :D

We'll see what the mail brings today. I ordered some digital read outs for the mill last week along with the hardware and strings so theres bound to be somthing. I could go down town and buy a set of strings but I can't bring myself to pay $10 for a set. So ill wait.

You mentioned erarlier that it would be a shame to lose the neck because of it bending or colapsing later on but really its not that big of a deal. The neck jig i have made for the mill will let me have a hardwood one thats exactly the same in about 5 hrs minus fretting, and honestly I wasn't that careful on the fretting. Its like you said, a bit of fun!

I agree with godin. You must have the patience of a saint to be putting all of that time and effort into a guitar you're not totally sure won't collapse. You win either way though. It'll either be a great guitar to play, or a very interesting wall ornament.

peace,

russ

If it fails it'll get WOD'd a la Drak. Or maybe it'll become a clock. We'll see.

I love wood working and if it wasn't this it'd be some other project. Even if it dosn't work I'd rather spend time on this than wasting my life on somthing totally unproductive like a video game.

Even if it dosn't work I'd rather spend time on this than wasting my life on somthing totally unproductive like a video game.

Thats very true. I diddn't mean that I would rather do other things than build that. I was saying I would rather get a decent peice of wood and do it. I'm all with you with not wasting your time on video games and other such mind wasters.

haha, god, mind washers, come on man, video games are entertainment. If you wanna call video games mind washers, call TV, music, and anything else that people do stricly for entertainment and not productivity mind washers too.

I didnt say they were not fun and entertaining. I said it was very unproductive, I feel empty and unfullfilled when i've spent the day playing a game. But thats just me. To each his own.

Thats very true. I diddn't mean that I would rather do other things than build that. I was saying I would rather get a decent peice of wood and do it. I'm all with you with not wasting your time on video games and other such mind wasters.

The reason im doing this is because people say it doesn't work and yet very few have tried it. Just trying to debunk a myth here. People are very opinionated based on the voodoo they hear from other people. I'm trying to add some concrete fact to their prejudice minds. Wether it works or not its no matter to me. Im still having fun building and I'm not much of a player. So I get the most emjoyment from building.

Finished the guitar for the most part, minus the back plates and the finish. Its strung up now and the neck looks normal. It tunes and plays nice. The one thing I did notice is that you can bend a note by flexing the neck. We'll see how that pan's out. I'll let the neck settle a bit and find out how it fares. I found a dead fret on the high e, ill fix that when the neck has proven itself.

I will never do recessed pickups again without a back plate. It is a job and a half to get the springs in and the screws started for the pickups. There must be a trick to it that im not seeing. Maybe to glue the springs to the top so they are suspended in the cavity. I dunno. Major PITA and not worth the trouble.

pine51.jpg

I used the die grinder to cut a recess into the electronic's cavity so I could bolt down the output jack.

Recess

Jack installed

I installed the string trees and filed the nut

String trees

Pictures of the start of the electronics

Main cavity

3-way switch

Body shot

Down the neck