Red Original - Tell Me What You Think

wardd

Hello,

I've been working on building this guitar for 30 years.

Finally have gotten to the point where I can afford the tools I need to do it right.

My design uses what I call a modified neck through method.

I put a block of hard maple between two mahogany wings then set the neck into the maple.

The neck block comes back past the neck pickup which is solid mounted.

The back is then a center strip of maple with walnut wings.

You can follow the link below to see some pictures, will have better ones later.

Let me know what you think?

Can someone tell me the process for submitting it for guitar of the month?

Be Cool,

d ward

http://209.56.91.10/TeacherPages/Ward/Guit.../GuitarPics.htm

or

http://209.56.91.10/05-06LessonPlans/Ward/.../GuitarPics.htm

Edited by wardd

Really nice looking work. Birdsey maple and Walnut back look great. The bridge cover and pickup rings are wonderful details. Quilted Maple top looks great. I really like the laminate lines. You can just get lost in all the great details. Oh, can't forget the burl Maple block inlay (nice). I wish I could have seen that before it was stained. I bet the natural wood colors would have been a knock out. So tell us more about the build, and the tools you used. Oh yeah, how about the 30 years planning and building. Sounds like you have a lot more you could tell us about this build.

Peace,Rich

Guys,

Thanks for getting back to me so fast and for your nice comments.

I'll try to take some pictures of some of the tools and jigs I have made as well as some more detailed pics of the guitar and its construction.

As far as the 30 years goes I got interested in instrument making in the 70's when I worked in a music store as the electronics repair guy. I mainly fixed amps etc., but did do some work adding pickups. i.e. Butched some guitars with not much more than an electric drill. They worked, but if you lifted the pickguards it wasn't pretty.

I'm a math teacher now and have the $ to have a nice shop. The tool I get the most use out of is my Delta drum sander. It makes working with the figured wood so much easier as it avoids the tear out you get trying to plane it.

The thing I've been waiting for is finding sources of the kinds of quality wood I wanted to use. Thanks to eBay I now have my own mini warehouse of stock.

My eventual plan is to get my guitars to a quality level that makes them marketable and then use my summer vacation time to produce them.

Any ideas on how to market custom guitars, prices to ask, etc.

Be Cool,

d ward

The only way you'll be happy selling your own guitars is by asking what you think is fair. Sit down and figure out how much time you put into the guitar, how much each unit will wear down your tools, etc. and base it off of that. If you sell them for less than what you feel is fair, you'll soon stop enjoying what you do, imho. However, I recomend you build a few more guitars to expand your building vocabulary, so to speak, and to insure that you can get accurate results every time.

peace,

russ

That is truly a beautiful guitar. I like how the shape is unique, yet still reminiscent of some classic shapes.

As for the marketing, make sure you have everything figured out before you begin to seriously sell the guitars. Otherwise, you might end up in a very bad situation...

Also, make sure that you will TRULY be able to put enough time into making enough guitars to make a profit. I thought seriously about making guitars for sale, but then I realized that I would not be able to put enough time into, with school and all.

I cant seem to be able to see the full size pictures. Would you mind uploading a good shot at 1024x768? I need a new wallpaper. This is one of the most original and beautiful guitars I have ever seen. Keep it up.

Popup blocker?

Or this might be painful, but if your explorer has a status bar (the little gray frame on the bottom - says Internet with a picture of earth at right corner) If you put your cursor over the link, it tells you the link, and manually type that out..

And for the wallpaper idea.. I think it would look nice if there was 1 gigantic size in the front, and all these pics as the background.

-IR

Not sure you noticed that the page I link you to is a thumbnail index. You get 640x480 pics if you click the link pics. I don't have a good digital camera, but plan on borrowing one so I can get some better more detailed pics. Keep your eye open, I might get to it this weekend.

Be Cool,

d ward

I figured out the problem with the pics. When you click one (I'll use the first as an example), it takes you to the address:

Note the file name "JamCam051%2Ejpg"-- change it to "JamCam051.jpg" and all your problems are solved; that is, the "%2E" should just be a period.

That said, the guitar is stunning. I especially like the inlays you did. Congratulations.

• 1 month later...

Hey d ward sorry if I missed it but did you make the knobs or buy them? If it was possible my whole guitar would be woodgrain even the strings :D I'd be super proud of that guitar if it was mine.

Druss,

Yes, I made the knobs.

Am currently making a new set and documenting the process for a tutorial.

Hopefully, I'll finish and post it some day.

I did explain a little of the process in this thread.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=22355

Thanks for your input,

d ward

P.S. I guess you would need what?,... Iron Wood for the strings.

OK, d ward, you sick bastard, you owe me $6.00 for a new keyboard. This one is covered in drool and will probably stop working soon.

Those maple burl inlays are amazing! What did you use for the borders around them? How thick are they? Did you soak them in epoxy/ca first?

duuude that axe is wicked! I like how you cutomised some parts which you dont seen in many guitars.

why didnt you make a wooden humbucker cover or painted the bridge to make it look like it was wood?

Edited by The Fatalities

BlackHawk - Thanks, I appreciate it.

The Fatalities - Thanks also, When I made this guitar I hadn't seen the wooden pickup covers, I might try that in the future. But, I 've always been kind of fond of the exposed coil pickups.

JavaCody - The borders of the fretboard inlays are laminated strips of white ash and walnut.

I make the strips in the belt sander, glue them into a strip then onto the burl blocks.

The burl pieces were 1/4 thick and I left about 1/16 at the bottom of the cavity I routed out and then sanded them flush with the fretboard.

The burl was real solid so I didn't mess with trying to impregnate them with anything.

The fretboard is Katalox which seems to be some really strong / stiff wood.

By the way, I'm about 80 mi. east of Des Moines near What Cheer where I teach school.

I'm also the tech coordinator and have some spare keyboards should you need one.

Thanks again guys,

d ward

d ward, I've often wondered about What Cheer whenever we drive by on the interstate. What an interesting name for a town!

My keyboard seems to be ok. :D

Do you ever get to Des Moines? You should check out the WoodSmith shop. They have some great Mahagony, Walnut, Birdseye maple, Indian Rosewood, etc. etc.

OK, curiousity got the better of me:

What Cheer Wikipedia page

JC,

I don't get to Des Moines too often, had heard about the WoodShop though.

I get most of my wood supplies via. ebay, but would like to find a place to pick out material hands on.

What Cheer name origin info is slightly different than the story I heard.

The region was first settled because of the surface level coal that was here.

Welch coal miners were the first residents and "What Cheer" was a Welch expression.

But, who knows.

Be Cool,

d ward