Parker Fly Project

I've decided that i will probably be asking a lot of questions for my parker build, so i decided to start this thread in which i will post my questions rather than starting a bunch of threads for single questions.

first 2 questions 1. Where can i gat a maple, non- figured neck through blank,roughly 1" x 3" x 42"

2. i wanted to use a non radiused fret board for this like a classical and i was planning on

using the one from stewmac but now i see that its a 25" scale, not a 25.5" so could i still use

it since its not that far off or should i just get a different fretboard? thanks

that .5 will make a world of difference if you use that fretboard and have the bridge 25.5" away from the nut. if that's what you're asking. HOWEVER, just because a parker is 25.5" that doesn't mean yours HAS to be, you could do a 25" with little difference.

Chris

no that was me, i was considering doing one of those designs or a parker im still not completely sure which i will do, but all the specs will be the same in either one (wood/pickups/hardware) so it could go either way for a while. I've always wanted a parker and i'll never afford a nice one (P-series doesn't count) so i wanted to make one, if ambition strikes then i may make my own design, we'll just have to see, thanks for your complemet on my design though.

it will be a standard hardtail so in turn i'll have standard sized dimarzios, it wont be an exact replica more of a tribute type of deal, what would the affects of a 25" scale be? thanks for your replies

So it'll be a flatop like the Nitefly but a neck-through like the regular Fly?

You probably won't notice a difference with the 25 inch scale other than it'll be a little less stretching on those barre chords. May sound a little warmer, too.

it'll be carved like a fly, but to a lesser extent, like around the neck it wont be as thin and stuff like that, because i have no space age materials to support it, i have to keep more wood there.

Edit: I found my neck blank on ebay 1.5x6.5x48 which is absolutely perfect, hopefully i win it.

Edited by Nitefly SA

i was planning on using some graphite rods in the neck itself, and i was thinking of putting more that go through part of the body and the neck, but i didnt know if i could fill it well or if it would get in the way of my electronics or anything else

You can get a fly for $1000 on ebay. I don't know what you're talking about not being able to afford one if you cvan afford to build one?! Wood, electronics, etc. yeah, that

'll be cheaper. But when you add up all the tools, materials, etc. that you need to build. All that stuff adds up REALLY quickly. My Meu with all the tools I had to buy in order ot make it (cause I had NONE when I started) probably cost $2000. So unless you're using someone else's workshop... it may just actually be cheaper to buy a fly in the end...

Chris

1. Where can i get a maple, non- figured neck through blank,roughly 1" x 3" x 42"

2. i wanted to use a non radiused fret board for this like a classical and i was planning on

using the one from stewmac but now i see that its a 25" scale, not a 25.5" so could i still use

it since its not that far off or should i just get a different fretboard? thanks

1) Don't you have lumber yard where you live? Why can't you just buy the maple Locally?

2) The classical guitars I've seen have radiused fretboards, but then, I haven't played a lot of classical guitars - kinda like Ibanez RG/Jems and Godin electrics which are 16" radius. If you want to buy a pre-slotted fretboard, there's a guy on eBay that sells them in a variety of woods and scales. I'm sure that he could make you a fretboard with the exact specs you're looking for.

:D

Edited by guitar2005

well the thing is with affording the fly this you make medium purchases over time thats one lump some at once, you know what i mean? I've added up most of the things i nee and right now im under 300 dollars so still doing pretty good.

2 new questions, does any body know where i can get a 3 way switch thats normal size (like les paul/sg) thats made of metal(silver in color)?

also you can have a piezo system with inactive pickups right? Thanks

edit:I Won my wood! .99 isnt bad for that much wood

Edited by Nitefly SA

• 4 weeks later...

Yes you can use a peizo system with passive pickups. The piezo doesn't run through any of the "passive" electronics..

A quick read on LR Baggs site and you'll know all you need to about peizo systems.

About the truss rod. If I understand your question correctly your talking about the trussrod running down the middle of the neck correct? If you don't put it in the center you are going to run into two very serious problems.

1. when you carve, the neck would have to be really thick so you don't carve all the way through to the truss rod.

This reason alone would be enough to not do it. But thers another one,

2. when you adjust the truss rod it would twist the neck (to some extent, and you would probably only have a bad problem over time) because the truss rod is off center. Just think about where the force is applied and it will make sense.

Edited by Godin SD

well heres the thing godin, i trust you are familiar with the parker headstock, the truss rod adjustment hole is under the main headstock, which is pretty much on the side, here this kind of illustrates what i mean

http://www.steviebs.com/images/guitars/parkerflygold.jpg

i may just go with a couple CF rods in the neck if i cand get the TR right