Whats Wrong With My Amp

haggardguy

Alright so yesterday I was playing guitar and then after a few hours my amp's volume gradually declined to almost nothing. I turned it up and it barely went anywhere, its a 45 watt tube combo, so it gets loud. I was concerned but I put it on standby then a while later i plugged in and turned it on and it seemed to work ok so i turned it off. This morning I wake up, set up my pedalboard and stuff, plug in and its working fine. Then the volume decliens again, i turn off my noise gate and it seems to be normal, i shrug and continue playing. A short while after (less than 5 minutes) I hear my amp sound really sort of fuzzy or crackly, i turn off some pedals and stuff and its still really buzzy, and quiet, i switch to the clean channel, same thing, i push all the buttons and everything, its not gonna work. I turn it off and log onto PG. I replaced the power tubes in januarybut i dont know when the preamp tubes were last replaced, i normally play at low volumes.. about 1 on the dial sometimes 2 tops, if anyone knows whats wrong please reply.

THhanks in advance

spencer

Ya i tried that too, and its not the cables either because i tried it with several different ones. It seems ok when I first turn it on but it seems to die out shortly after, ill try it again tomorrow and see what happens. Its a 45 watt peavey prowler combo, similar to the valve king if that helps at all.

Could very well be tubes, so check that first, since it's the easiest (and least expensive) - if that doesn't fix it, it could be a filter cap that leaks when it gets hot, or some other heat-related failure, but unless you're pretty familiar with tube amps, those are jobs for an experienced tech.

Dead after three months? My amp has a fixed bias so I can only use 6L6 tubes, which i put in and it says that they're guaranteed for 6 months so maybe I'll be able to get free replacements or something. Alright thanks guys, maybe I'll put the old tubes back in and see if it still happens.

Alright thanks, I'll take it in when I get a chance. How much can I expect to pay for something like that?

It wouldn't let me edit my post so Im writing here. I just phoned all the music stores around here. One doesnt deal with peavey so they won't do it, the other one that carries peavey doesn't rebias things so they would need to send it out and it would probably be gone for weeks not to mention I'd probably have to paying shipping both ways on my large heavy amp. Is there anyway around this or am I going to have to do this everytime I change tubes?