Greetings Woth Question

Hello all after lurking around awhile and researching like a mad-mad I finally made a couple of posts. Long story shortened-like-kinda: Like many here I caught the bug. Hey if you aren't obsessed you're doing something wrong. I am an air traffic controller by day, plastic junkie (acrylic fabricator) on the side. I have really been interested in building for quite some time and even have the wood and am planning the first scratch build. But before I get into that I wanted to play around a bit so I hit up te local pawn shops for cheapies to fix up and beat on. Today I ran across a used (VERY USED) Charvel. I know nothing about these guitars. All the reasearch I have found so far hasn't really helped me. It has the neck and headstock like the EVH series and say's. "Charvel by Jackson" instead of just Charvel like some I have seen. It has apparently been painted and has tons of stickers and crap on it. The back of the neck plate has a number but it appears to have been hand ingraved. All the electronics work but intonation is way off to determine anything really. Worth $80?

TIA,

R-

First off, welcome aboard sump'.

I think you've got a great idea to cut your teeth in by working on something that's cheap and something that you don't have much invested in.

Do you already own the Charvel for $80, or is that what you are going to offer them? Either way, I think that's a good amount for the parts you've got from the deal. I presume it has all the electronics, frets, tuners and such.

Sounds like it could be a fun project.

Thanks for the quick response. I actually already talked him down to the $80 but told him I'd come back after I did a little research. It's only a few miles from my house and I have frequented the place a lot since jumping in the hobby. Basically like many other late-comers (30) the wife bought a nice ovation accoustic for me and started my frenzy. Since I have bought an 84 strat and a squire tele I've already customized a little. Basically I know squat about charvel and just want to know if it's even worth messing with or will I end up with a couple hundred buck in an $80 guitar. It's definately all there and the electronics seen to work just fine.

Thanks again,

BTW jehle where are you from?

I'm a bassist, but my experience with Charvel is that they have a quality product. The few I've played felt good for a low-ish end bass, and the one I played that had aftermarket pickups (EMGs) had a great tone too it too.

I say throw the $80; it's a good starter guitar.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :D:D

Yeah, I'm originally from Alabama. I figured, but theyz lotsa cotton down souf.

Yep, there's a small handful of us down here. Very few in Alabama.

Charvell and Jackson are both well respected brands. For 80 bucks, I consider that a steal. Shoot, for 80 bucks I could probably take it appart and sell the parts alone for more than twice that.

*note to self... check pawn shops nearby*

Thanks guys. I'll pick it up tomorrow. Trust me, it's ugly. :0) I am originally from Gadsden, BTW. I noticed one of the mods flys the Alabama avatar. Yeah, so far for me the Pawn shops have been a gold mine. Had I not dropped my allowance on the 84 strat (yes my wife gives me an allowance - SHUT UP, So...) I could have gotten a Mex strat tonight for $199 clean.

I'll try and get a pic up...a before shot. I am having problems identifying it though. It seems there were several years in the late 80s to early 90s where no markings were put on them at all. *shurgs*

R-

I noticed one of the mods flys the Alabama avatar.

:D That'd be me - and oddly enough, I played at Antonelli's/The Blackstone Pub in lovely downtown Gadsden last Saturday night! IMHO, if it's playable at all, any pre -Fender Charvel has got to be worth eighty bucks! I wish I could find those deals - the pawn shops down here are trying to sell beat-up Mexi-Strats for about twice that.

Ahh, I see. I did not know that. Good news - I talked him down to $60. Bad news, I still can't date it. I took some pics, I'll try and get em up soon. Now for the fun of openening it up. It sounded excellent when I got it home and tuned it up.

R-

OK guys this dating is driving me nuts. This from the Jackson website:

"NOTE 1: There were approximately 750 Bolt-on Charvels made from 1979-1981 without serial numbers. The first serial number used was a Strat-style guitar with the Heineken beer bottle label painted on it, November 9th, 1981. These neck plates say "Charvel PO Box 245, San Dimas, Ca, 91773". The last Early Charvel was#5491, built in January of 1986. Neck plates with numbers 5492 and up were supposedly destroyed but some of them do turn up from time to time...BUYER BEWARE!! These are not real Jacksons!"

Possible I have 1 of 750?

I know, I know a pic. Yeah well my usual host is dead. I business website but I am completely too stupid to know how to do it without having my web guru do it. Cute FTP pro something..blah blah.

R-

I know, I know a pic. Yeah well my usual host is dead. I business website but I am completely too stupid to know how to do it without having my web guru do it. Cute FTP pro something..blah blah.

Photobucket

You know what? For $60 bucks I'd buy as many as they could get. Worry about it being rare later. If it's playable it's already worth more than anything else in its price range.

I have to agree with marksound there. Don't worry about what the date is or if it is the real deal or not. If it plays nice and sounds good, that's what really matters.

From the sounds of it, she's in poor shape at the moment. That would greatly reduce any collector value. This is a players guitar, not a collectors guitar.

I agree totally with you guys. But being a first restore/custom project I would n't have wanted to screw anything up IF it were a collector. I didn't really care. In any case it is not one of the older non-numbered models. The inside of the neck is stamped 20 Feb 1997. The body (after removing several stickers) is solid. Too soon to tell but I am almost positive it's alder. So it turns out to be a fairly good looking pre-fender (2002) player. I couldn't be more satisfied.

Thanks for the "bucket" msound. I'm at work but will get pics later today assmbled and in pieces.

R-

If you're at work and playing on here, who's watching the planes :D

Welcome to the boards :D

I knew I was forgetting something! Aw, hell another CNN interview to avoid. Actually we have a bitchin' break/work policy. We can't work for more than two hours at a time in fear that our brains will melt.

R-

SIDE NOTE: Hey MODS please fix the spelling in the title. There's nothin' like being the idiot who mis-types the title in his first thread.