Best Guitar Strings For Metal

For tuned-down metal playing I would suggest GHS Boomers, specifically the GB-LOW set. (11 - 53). They are made with larger cores, give a more stable vibration and maintain the proper tension when tuned down to C# (or whatever your poison). :D

Edited by Southpa

I use either Dean Markely Blue Steels or the regular Markleys. I've been playing the two brands (depends if they have my gauge in Blue Steel) for 15 years.

If all you want are cheap, heavy strings though, just buy cheap heavy strings.

I'll second this. I tried about 6-7 different types of strings before coming across the Blue Steels. I really did like the feel and sound of the strings. I started using them 4 years ago, haven't really decided to try anything different as they're all I need for my Peavey midget guitar.

I like d'addario xls. There is a good thing to be said for GHS strings, though... you can get 'em at Wal-Mart! I am also in the can't really tell too much difference between companies. When I played ernie balls, I broke a lot of them, especially the wound strings. Must be a slightly thinner core or something. My brother swears by those elixirs.. (forget who makes 'em). he tried these black ones, with a plastic coating, and hateds them. I used to use the ones which started at .009 and then went up to .046 (skinny top heavy bottom), but since I got my tele, I've been using regular .010s. It is strange, but with a better guitar, I can use a slightly heavier set. If you use a low tuning heavier would be better due to less tension, as the others have said. Heck, at $3.50-7.00 per set (US) they're cheap enough to experiment a bit.

Stainless steel is a stronger metal than whatever most other strings are made of - so they can wear down frets faster. How much? I don't know. I love stainless steels on my 6-string bass, they're what I used on VENT's first CD recording. I'd have to inspect the wear on the frets, but I'd imagine it being very minimal as I have owned it right over a year now.

are you shitting me palecriminal?! at wal-mart? haha i did not knwo that. but i havent been to a wal-mart in about a year. plus i still have to travle 40 miles just to buy strings. because the nearest music store is that far away, and the same with any wal-mart.

or i coul get some strings from k-mart, you knwo the first act ones that suck pretty bad....they come with half nickle plated strings lol and they woble like old strings when you let a high note ring out...

haha. so i just use my Dr hign-beams 10s and 11s

are you shitting me palecriminal?! at wal-mart? haha i did not knwo that. but i havent been to a wal-mart in about a year. plus i still have to travle 40 miles just to buy strings. because the nearest music store is that far away, and the same with any wal-mart.

or i coul get some strings from k-mart, you knwo the first act ones that suck pretty bad....they come with half nickle plated strings lol and they woble like old strings when you let a high note ring out...

yeah, they sell the first act guitars at wal mart, and I noticed a little display with GHS strings, too! That's here in knoxville, but I would imagine that all wal marts have the same stock. Damn, 40 miles? you must be waaaay out in the country!

yeah, they sell the first act guitars at wal mart, and I noticed a little display with GHS strings, too! That's here in knoxville, but I would imagine that all wal marts have the same stock. Damn, 40 miles? you must be waaaay out in the country!

haha yeah, im in a dead oil town in southern California. good ol Taft. 40 miles from Bakersfield 140 miles or so from Los Angeles