Best Guitar Strings For Metal

Im currently on a tight budget and cant make any mistakes on purchases. i was wondering what

is the best electric guitar strings for metal. Im interested in gauges that are bigger than regular

so its easier to hit the string. I was thinking d addario or ernie balls.

I use D'addario EXLS .010s (stainless steel... they last longer than NPS strings, dont rust in the same way... and I'll be damned if anyone can tell the difference in tone between stainless steel and NPS).

I always tune to DGCFAD (never higher than that, I think higher tunings sound a bit limp) and have no problems with tension, so this gauge is happy with EADGBE, or DGCFAD. But if you want to go lower than DGCFAD, I'd suggest you move onto .011s or .012s.

In my experience of playing for about 17 years now, any string will last a long time if you take care of them. Wipe then down when you're done playing. I use Dunlop string cleaner & conditioner, and I've had the same strings on my guitars for 2 months now. They're still as shiny and sound as good as the first day I put them on.

As long as you go with a high quality string like D'Addario, Ernie Ball, GHS, Dean Markely, even Fender strings are good, you can't go wrong. I don't think there's much difference at ALL in the sound of the above mentioned strings. I think they all feel different though.

I hate changing strings, so I try to get as much life out of mine as possible.

Do you buy your strings at a guitar shop or online? Buying is bulk isn't a bad idea. I believe you can get about 10 sets for a little over $25.

I don't think there's much difference at ALL in the sound of the above mentioned strings. I think they all feel different though.

Really, I think each of those strings has a distinclty different sound, earnie balls v. GHS strings inparticular sound extremely different. But maybe its just me, theres a lot of factors at play when it comes to strings.

Really, I think each of those strings has a distinclty different sound, earnie balls v. GHS strings inparticular sound extremely different. But maybe its just me, theres a lot of factors at play when it comes to strings.

Maybe my ears aren't that finely tuned :D I just seem to notice a bigger difference in feel than I do sound. I think GHS strings are much better than they used to be. That's mainly what I use now.

Nitefly is right, Fender strings definitely stay in tune. I only use Fender strings now on my Strat and Tele. I did notice a big difference in sound when I used Fender strings on Fender guitars. They actually sound like Fenders!

again, it always comes down to preference... No one can tell you what's the best for you...

For me, I'm really liking those EB .11s i've had for a while on my floyd guitar... Cost next to nothing, too. And I can't stand Dean Markley Blue Steels... They don't start sounding good after like 2 weeks of playing... (they sound VERY dull until broken in!!! wth is that??)

Anyways... try different stuff and see what suits you!

I've been playing for about 26-27 years now, and I have exclusively used martin strings for my acoustics and fenders for my electrics...

because I play mostly country music, I play a lot of "clean", Fenders have always treated my sound and my guitars well.

In my 36+ years of playing I have changed strings on guitars more often than I care to think about! I have to agree that DR's pure blues are my favorites too. I think they really do hold their tone longer than any others that I have tried. However, I have lived in a dry climate for the last 19 years, and all strings seem to last a lot longer here in the Rocky Mountains than they did when I lived in Texas and Georgia! I think that when you live in a humid climate, you really do have to wipe down your strings much more often to get the most life out of them. :D

There's no best brand for metal or any other kind of music.

What you want, I'd think, is a light top, heavy bottom set. They go .010 to .052. If you want big ol' chunks that's the way to go.

If you don't want to spend a lot of $$$ forget stainless steel strings. They'll destroy your frets, especially if you bend a lot. Strings are much cheaper than a refretying job.

• 7 months later...

if you want cheap in price go with ernie balls, but myself i like the Dr Hi-beams 10s. they make 11s 12 and 13s i believe? i knwo they do in teh tite fit models but they got for 7 bucks a set on a bad day, when ernies can go for as little as 2 and half for a set down here. i used ernie balls for a long time but they always broke on me. and dr strings have never broke on me once. a frind of mine has had a set on his showmaster for almost a year and a half, they sound like shite now but they still play haha.

check out dr hi-beam ehr-11s i think? jsut tell em you want somethign cheap and heavy haha.. later man

I've tried the heavy bottom/light top combo for playing heavy stuff but I've eventually come to the conclusion they don't work for me.

Most of the stuff I play is thrash / metal with a bit of bluesy / Pink Floyd and other random stuff thrown in. A happy medium for me is D'Addario 0.009 - 0.042 gauge. Buying in bulk (5 packs or more) from the net is cheaper

However it's really a case of trial and error until you find what suits your ear & playing style...

Daddario EXL 9-46's all the way. Used to use ernie's but tried daddario's on the off chance (didnt have any ernies of the gauge i wanted in shop) and i've not used anything since. For my C-C tuned guitar i use the same sets with a 56 on the low C string and ditch the high 9. Same for my 7 string but without ditching the 9.... obviously.

But to be honest, i agree. as long as you go for a decent make you cant really go wrong. I don't think there's that huge amount of difference between alot of strings, but we have to be **** about something dont we?!

S

I hated the regular fenders that my guitar came with, and that I used for a while afterwards..

after trying out a bunch Im definatly sold on the DR's. I dont remember witch variety, just the overwound 10's. I didnt ever pay attention that there were different types.

but they feal nicer, and last much longer. Plus I noticed a difference in the overall sound.

I will never use GHS boomers or EB's again.

+1 what Canuk Brian said.

If you want a good bit of chunk though, try some GHS Boomers.

They seem to be considerably louder to me.

Stainless Steel sound like crap to me clean,

but under gain, you won't notice as much of a difference.

If you go up more than one gauge in size, slot your nut

to fit the new strings.

It's been said, but in general - clean new strings as opposed to a specific brand. A brand may give you the sound of clean strings for longer.

I prefer Dean Markley Blue Steels although I do end up changing them a lot. Ernie Balls seem to die off fairly quickly, but are cheap. D'Addarios seems like a good compromise. Never liked the Elixirs. DR Black Beauties looked cool, but didn't last.

Either go for nice strings are restring half the time or go for "standard" strings which are more affordable and string more often.

Prevail: I find that a little too with DM Blue Steels. Stretching them after fitting and retuning solves that problem :-D