Filing & Shaping Fret Ends After Hammering In

This is a thing that I hate doing, and it's really anoying if I accidentally file out of line and take a chunk out of the fingerboard.

Has anyone got any hints or tips to make this an easier task with a neat finish?

Thanks in advance.

I use nippers to cut the overhang close to the board, and then something like this to file the fret ends up to the board and bevel them.

When I'm shaping the individual fret ends, I always use files with a "safe" edge (non-tooted) if it's resting against the board, and mask the board with tape - if I go through the tape, I replace that piece.

There's a tutorial on building a fret beveller on the main site : Here.

There's also a fretting tutorial that covers fretting (including finishing) Here.

I like the sanding sponge method, but I still go back and do file work afterwards.

Safe edge file is the way to go. I just buy regular fine tooth files and use a sanding block with a 60 grit belt sander belt on it to smooth contact areas. After the 60 grit belt I go up through 80/120/240 to get a smooth surface.

I recently did this with a small 3 corner file, to do my fret crowning - I much prefer it to the dedicated crowning file I had before.

Exactly how I do it to. You can buy a set of "hobby files" at Home Depot for like $15. Comes with a triangle file, square file, flat file, flat file that goes to a point, rat tail, and a half round all in fine toothed grit. Like they said, just sand down ONE of the edges on the triangle file, mask off the board and go at it. And from this set you also get a GREAT deal on all the other files you need for perfecting your cut out shell pieces :D

Chris

Like Setch said, you don't want to be filing away your neck wood accidently while filing the fret ends. A safe edge needs to ride along the fingerboard to avoid this. Here's a picture of what he's talking about.

I do however make the edges of the fingerboard have that "broke in" feel, by hand rolling the edges. I use a weird method of scraping the edge with a razor blade by changing the angle to round it with each pass until it's like I want it, then final sanding will finish it. Not sure it's the best method, but one I use. BTW.. that's after the frets are installed.

use a weird method of scraping the edge with a razor blade by changing the angle to round it with each pass until it's like I want it, then final sanding will finish it. Not sure it's the best method, but one I use. BTW.. that's after the frets are installed

Thats the way i do it as well, if you leave this stage till after you have sorted the fret ends out you are able to clean up any gouges you may have gotten in the process. I believe it is also the way fender custom shop does it.

Thanks for the input.

I ordered a file similar to the one in the guide rather than making one.

This should definately make things a bit easier! It also gave me an excuse to pick up a few other odds and ends that I've been meaning to order.