Looking For Builder (electric Guitar) For 3-year-old Hand

I am looking for a builder who can make a guitar for my 3-year-old son that his hand can form chords on. I took him to the local music store and the mini-electric guitars are still too big. And, I have looked around the web to no success as they all still look to big. The neck needs to about the size of a Mandolin neck maybe a little bigger and only needs one pickup. Good hardware is important as holding tune at this small size may be difficult.

My son is already holding a pick correctly and strumming a little pink toy guitar his sister receieved a few years back for Christmas, so I think he would have a lot of fun with a fully functional electric guitar.

I am a guitarist of more than 25 years and have re-wired several guitars, but never made my own and I do not have the tools to do so.

Any ideas here?

Lava Man

Lava Cable

Edited by Lava Man

That sounds like a fun little build( pun entirely intended). Can you give us a better idea of what specs you're looking for, anything ornate? I would recomend you go for a bare bones guitar, since your son will be twice as big before you know it and will be much too big to play the guitar.

peace,

russ

Definitely do-able. I worked with a guy at a boat building shop who was making a baby-tele for his daughter. I don't know if tiny custom pickups are available but I guess a regular one with a blade style magnet would do the trick. String spacing would be the main issue, you can't have regular string spacing with such a short scale length. Might be able to overcome that with a roller bridge and a custom made nut.

I was told that there is not a big market for tiny guitars because everyone outgrows them! :D

You can slant the pickup to accommodate the lesser string spacing. No need to wind a special pickup.

I would like to thank thegarehanman as I have comissioned him to build this guitar for me and I am really excited. I believe that it is going to e a fantastic little guitar that my son will actually be able to play. The challenging part is going to be the bridge due to the small width of the neck at the base.

No thanks necessary mark, it's my pleasure. This is going to mean a lot to your son. It should be a fun little build, literally. The bridge really isn't as much of a problem as you think it will be. Making the rosewood/bone TOM we talked about will be a walk in the park.

peace,

russ

A 3-year-old with an amplifier? :D

I got a lot of practice wiring in resistors or putting cardboard disks over speakers to get the volume on my kids' toys down to a tolerable level. B)

My kids like everything LOUD. At 5 and 8, they'll actually listen to me when I ask them to turn things down to a sub-tinitis level. If I gave them an amp "that goes to eleven" before they could count to 11, we'd all be deaf now. :D

Your son sounds pretty sharp. Fretting didn't really click with my girls. They've gravitated towards keyboards.

Heres an amp for a 3 yr old. :D

amp0029yb.jpg

Its only 5"X5"X2.5". Got 4 - 1.5" speakers in it and runs on a 9v. battery. Has tone, vol., input jack, headphone jack and jack for 9 v. DC adapter as well as clean and overdrive channels. This little thing can get pretty loud too. But not something that will shake the walls. :D

Edited by Southpa

• 3 weeks later...

I thought you guys might like to see some progress on this guitar. I've got a large amount of the work done on the neck and should be receiving the body wood soon. For the neck, I still have to fine sand it, inlay the headstock, drill for the neck bolts, and fret it. I've also posted a picture of the matching bridge I made for this guitar. Since it's got such narrow string spread, buying a bridge really wasn't an option. The thick saddle on this TOM I made should allow for fairly accurate intonation. When you look at the pictures, keep in mind that the guitar will have a 13.5" scale length and the neck is 1.25" wide at the nut, 1.5" wide at the 22nd fret, and 5/8" thick through out. It has two 5mm diameter graphite rods imbedded in it and a single action truss rod(that's the only thing that would fit in this scenario).

th_bridge02.jpgth_neckside.jpg

th_neckfront.jpgth_neckback.jpg

peace,

russ

Thanks guys. Believe it or not, the rosewood for the fretboard, binding, headplate, backstrapping, and bridge all came from just one of stewmac's guitar fretboard blanks. Since my bandsaw is in a different city at the moment, I had to bookmatch the headplate and backstrapping with only a coping saw, what a job that was.

Fortunately, mike didn't have very specific instructions for the asthetics of this one, so I've been able to add little details when the mood strikes. I'm really excited to see how these traditional detail treatments go with the untraditional finish we have planned for it.

peace,

russ

Fortunately, mike didn't have very specific instructions for the asthetics of this one, so I've been able to add little details

Yeah, well, better seal this thing in some kind of bulletproof material. Kid's only three, the guitar's going to wind up in his lego box. That is, if this is a real kid and not one of these ultra-serious hyper-competitive uber-kids that parents seem to want to churn out these days. Part of the reason we chose to raise our kids over here. I'm assuming that this is Lava Man's first child...

I know, I know. I've been biting my tongue on this for a long time. And I'm letting the coffee talk this morning. The kid's only three for crying out loud. Maybe I'm the only one here who thinks this project is in bad taste, so I'll shut up about it. But I really needed to say something. This isn't meant as a personal attack, more of a philosophical perspective thing.

Otherwise, your work is impeccable, as always.

I know, I know. I've been biting my tongue on this for a long time. And I'm letting the coffee talk this morning. The kid's only three for crying out loud. Maybe I'm the only one here who thinks this project is in bad taste, so I'll shut up about it. But I really needed to say something. This isn't meant as a personal attack, more of a philosophical perspective thing.

Otherwise, your work is impeccable, as always.

Hahaha. I actually talked to mark about the whole 3 year old having a custom guitar thing before I took the commission. Personally, I would not buy my 3 year old a custom guitar(assuming I had a kid, that is), but that was not my call to make. That said, mark still wanted the guitar, and I saw this as a fun challenge. Keeping the neck at 5/8" thickness was my big hurdle for the neck.

I’m sure mark already knows this thing is going to take a beating from his little guy. I'm already working against that though, as I've bought straplocks for the guitar and I doubt he’ll be able to do any damage to the finish I'll be putting on it, short of writing on it with a sharpie. It also has two 5mm graphite rods running through the whole neck and about 1" into the headstock. I've always liked the way character looks on a guitar, more so on the ones I build. :D

Mark, I don't mind you posting pictures at all. It's your guitar, after all. If you'll notice, I actually posted about four pictures already.

Thanks again for the kind words, everyone.

peace,

russ