Open Back Amp...

TenderSurrender

Should i build a 2x12 or a 4x12?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok just wondering, am i able to just fit some wood in the space where the open back starts to make it close back or is SPL an issue?

I ask since the last amp and my current amp have both been open back yet i also like the sound of close back amps.

Any ideas then guys? i just dont wanna attach the wood for it to cause damage or something because of SPL, perhaps some vents in the back might work?

~~ TS ~~

SPL?

The main concern with this mod is heat - if you are talking about a combo amp where the tubes hangdown under the chassis you risk overheating by blocking the back, which allows air to circulate freely around the tubes.

If the chassis is self contained and totally separate from the speaker enclosure I can't see any problems with fitting a back.

Yeah, I presume he means sound pressure level. The only thing I would add is 1. It may not sound better. It may incorporate resonance points because of the enclosure that don't sound 'good'. 2. It is possible to 'resonate' a poorly constructed enclosure to the point of falling apart but I highly doubt it.

I'll throw this in. I designed a speaker cab a while ago (still haven't gotten around to building it, too much home improvement going on) and you'll be amazed at what it takes to make a closed back sound good. There is a free design program around on the net, google, you'll find it. You'll need to know all, and I mean all, of the Thiell-Small parameters for you speakers to get a worthwhile result. For my 2x10, I needed a 34"x20.25"x12" box with two 4.5" diameter bass ports three inches long. Even then, I lose some low end, but less than 3 db, thankfully. Bottom line: just making your open back closed back may not make it sound like a properly designed closed back would. In fact, it might sound worse than its current open back state.

Hey guys!

Yea SPL - Sound pressure level hehe my Music Technology A levels kinda get drilled into your head :D

Although its a Transfex, as far as im aware there are NO physically tubes in there, just uses "transtube" technology (Peaveys answer to tubes?)

However there is a rather mean looking heatsink system hanging down in the back of the cab and vents along the top so heat must be an issue origanally

So hows plan B sound, Use this as a head unit and buy myself a nice 2x12 closed cab to run from this so i get a true 2x12 closed back sound?

Should i opt for 4x12?

~~ TS ~~

Hey guys!

Yea SPL - Sound pressure level hehe my Music Technology A levels kinda get drilled into your head :D

Although its a Transfex, as far as im aware there are NO physically tubes in there, just uses "transtube" technology (Peaveys answer to tubes?)

However there is a rather mean looking heatsink system hanging down in the back of the cab and vents along the top so heat must be an issue origanally

So hows plan B sound, Use this as a head unit and buy myself a nice 2x12 closed cab to run from this so i get a true 2x12 closed back sound?

Should i opt for 4x12?

~~ TS ~~

I'd have to be honest and say go for the 2x12, you'll get really tired of hauling around 4x12. Here's my rig after I sold off the bottoms and the puppy still doesn't move now. :D

346546670_l.jpg

:D

2x12 it is lol! :D

I gig fairly often (as some of you know) and have a string of gigs in june/july... n now i think about it, the prospect of luggin a 4x12 isnt to appealing so 2x12 it is

Id rather not build one (although will if it comes to it), but for now, does anyone have some links to some 2x12 cabs? (UK)

Cheers so far for all your help guys!

~~ TS ~~

Just to stir things up...

I've got a Marshall 2x12 and (despite the weight and space considerations) I'd like to replace it with a 4x12 someday. :D

Besides the cool looks, they sound a bit different when you mic them up, due to the different phase cancellation properties of the multiple-speaker arrangements.

IMO... Whatever you get, make sure it has good Celestions. I have the anniversary reissue G12H-30s in mine (when I can justify it I'll spend the $$ for the new Greenback reissues :D ).

I find the G12T-75s that come in standard Marshall cabs a bit lacking in character, though they're still probably a lot better than anything Peavey puts in their cabs.

Good speakers should make a big improvement in the sound of your Peavey.

Mike

Now usually id agree and say celestions all the way since i also like the tone of celestions in amps however...

The "Sheffield" speakers in this transfex sounds really nice, warm and responsive. They handle the power and bass of the amp really well without it sounding muddy overall im really happy with it.

The only real reason im considering a 2x12 or possible 4x12 is the sound of a closed back amp. Not the lack of sound from the peavey since i like the sound of it already :D

~~ TS ~~

Edited by TenderSurrender

2x12 with casters you mean! I wouldn't lift that thing an inch that I didn't have to. I don't know any good UK speaker guys; Avatar would be the best bet (at least in terms of bang for the buck) here in the states. Really, other than cutting the circle out for the speakers in the baffle,they are far easier than a guitar to build. No painting, no clear. Cut and glue that tolex, baby!

overall im really happy with it.

Well, there's "happy" and then there's "really happy" B)

Tone's a subjective thing anyway, but if you've never cranked it up through G12H-loaded cab, then you just haven't lived. :D

+1 build build build! Cabinet-grade birch plywood + black elephant tolex would be my choice.

If you choose the pink tolex... well, I hope you're "really happy" with it. :D

+1 build build build! Cabinet-grade birch plywood + black elephant tolex would be my choice.

If you choose the pink tolex... well, I hope you're "really happy" with it.

Didnt see this bit originally :|

Im at college currently, so im going to have a word with the woodwork dept' and see if theyve got anything i can use. Also that way i can steal all there equipment to build it with :D

Cheers guys!

~~ TS ~~

And yes ill be happy with the PINK tolex :D

Edited by TenderSurrender

TS - Your collage tech's (like my uni tech's) can be the best resource that there is. I know that all of mine loved building stuff and most tech's seem to have side projects. Get one interested and away they go.

Have a search aroud for old posts from Goat, he built a very nice cabinet, not sure what info is about though. I think that there have been a fair few discussions on cabinets over at www.18watt.com it might be worth having a look over there.

Plans are easy. Just choose your speakers first. Once you have those chosen, get all, and I do mean ALL, the Thiell-Small parameters for them. I just e-mailed Eminence and they e-mailed right back with mine. Next, find the downloadable freeware speaker cab desinger WinISD here Linear Team Website. Download the program, input said Thiell Small parameters. The low E on a guitar is at 83hz, so you don't want more than 3 db of dropoff around that frequency. Play with dimensions and bass ports to get there. It tells you what dimensions. Mine will be the standard baltic birch and black elephant tolex, but pink it up to your heart's content if that's what you're all about. The only other rule I can think of is that any bass ports need to be 3" away from any internal baffling.

Rock On!