Shaping Headstock Without Bandsaw

I'm getting ready to shape the headstock --I'm going with a drop down style, but I don't have a bandsaw --is it possible to use a router?

I'm thinking I can use the router to take out most of the depth --use a rounded bit to shape the bottom of the slope, and use a rasp and sandpaper to get the slope.

But maybe there's a better way?

I had to do a Fender-style drop down for my lap steel, and I used a router to do it. (from the top, not the side, in case you were thinking otherwise) Worked out pefectly.

Greg

There's no reason you can't use a router. Just remember to use a bullnose bit when you get near the nut, so you get that curve from the face of the headstock up to the fretboard...or your could just leave a chunk of wood and sand the curve into the headstock with a drum sander.

peace,

russ

There's no reason you can't use a router. Just remember to use a bullnose bit when you get near the nut

That's the problem with being over here, you can't just walk into a store and buy exactly what you need --I've been looking for the right bit--but all I can find are bits with bearings in that shape. But that would be my first choice.

I'm going to give Setch's can idea a go though --or I have thick dowel here, that might work too.

But yeah, Greg, I'll be going from the top down....I might end up using a saw on the bottom side though, since the wood I'm using is much thicker than I need.

Gonna play around with scrap for a few days first!

I used an inexpensive pull saw I found at a hardware store. The kerf is pretty thin and with a pull cut, it was relatively easy to control and went pretty quickly. Once I cut down the head, I used rasps and sanding with a dowel to get the rounded bit. The sanding took a while but came out well I think.

Teleheadcut.jpg

Result

The router would make a real nice clean job, and that "chunk" near the nut could be worked rather quickly using the methods already discussed. You need only a standard straight type bit.

You could try one of THESE in your drill press. I have one for the occasional odd job. It can be kinda handy sometimes.

-Doug

I'm wondering how folks go about thinning an angled headstock with a volute. Thining an angled headstock is easy enough - (or, I suppose you could start with a thinner piece of wood prior to doing your scarf joint) but thinning the neck-blank wood to an appropriate thickness for a headstock and working around the volute, while keeping the plane of the back of the headstock parrallel with the top seems difficult to me. Although, perhaps I'm just making my volutes wrong.

I used an inexpensive pull saw I found at a hardware store.

Result

Yeah, that looks great...pretty much what I'd like to achieve.

I kind of like the idea of switching to hand tools for this part --although I'd be a little worried about getting my lines straight. I suppose I could put together a miter-box-like jig. Seems to me you could use this method for both sides of an angled headstock --that'd keep you away from the volute.

I'm going to the hardware store--they have one of those Japanese pull saws, I'd like to try it out...the one they have is pretty thick though.

I'm also playing around with ideas for modifying the Zachary headstock --not for the shape, but for the idea of keeping it thick. But that would be for a different neck.

Since I'm using a zero fret, I have the idea that I can simply flip over a nut (I'd use a longer graphite or a trem nut blank with screws at the ends) to apply pressure to the strings.

From the movie Making of A Strat...

One of my favorite films these days... :D

I can't find a sander like that around here--that would definitely help...

I got the microplane version of that (drum sander for the drill) from Rockler. They shipped to Australia, so they'll probably ship to you. I haven't used it yet, but I can't wait!

When you're not in the US, there's a lot to be said for USPS when you need guitar building related stuff.

Brian.

Mick: StewMac has the robosander, and Axminster.co.uk (you've been there before, right?) has all manner of drum sanders that can be mounted quite easily in a drill press. Nothing to stop you, really.

I almost bought the robosander a couple months back, then decided against it at the last minute...wish I had now.

What I do have is a set of metal hole cutters for the drill--I'm thinking I can wrap sandpaper around one of those, it'll become a drumsander.

Anyway, it's a new month --my tool budget just opened up again! :D