8 String Bolt-on Bass!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words guys. The bass is coming along very well, I got her final sanded today and am now applying the second to last sealer coat. If all goes well, I shouldn't have any more spot sanding to do and the last sealer coat will go on tomorrow. Once the grain pore filling / sealer coats are taken care of, I'll be finishing the bass with polyurethane and that should take the day to apply and a day to cure. After that I'll be spraying the fingerboard with something different. I feel obligated to take pictures of my work, so here is where I'm at now.

8-String%20Fretted%2024.jpg

8-String%20Fretted%2025.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Everything on the bass is just about complete. Just need to finish up the pickup covers, wire her up, and make the nut. Sadly, the bass wont be ready on time for the most stupid of reasons. Hipshot did not supply me with any screws for the tuning machines. You figure for $240 they could include 2 cent screws.. :D

8-String%20Fretted%2026_002.jpg

I didn't make the deadline, the bridge needs a bit more reinforcement to be strong enough for 8-strings. So I'll be re-designing it and I'll be using 8 individual bridges for now. Even though I didn't make the deadline, I had a blast tonight. The whole point was to have the bass ready to show it to the bassist of Unexpect and talk basses with him. I still brought it to the show and it got a lot of attention. A lot of people wanted to take my picture with it. Which is kind of funny since cameras were restricted that night. :D

I'll have pictures soon!

Just got an e-mail from one of the guys at Ridglea (the venue I was at) and he'll have a picture for me very soon. Not that it's anything special, probably just me looking cocky while holding my bass. :D

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to wire in the piezo with my pre-amp and wire the blend to pan from magnetic pickups to piezo. Once that is all complete, I'll need to buff the bass, make 2 concentric knobs, and install the new bridge system. Hopefully the bridges will be here in a few days. I'm pretty excited about the build!

• 3 months later...

The bass was put aside for reasons out of my control. I've been putting a little bit of time into it here and there and have done a lot of experimenting. Regular strings made my bass look terrible, so I decided to try out DR black beauties and after $120 of string experimentation she's nearly complete. Thanks for the support guys.

8-String%20Fretted%2026.jpg