Black Limba Project

Spec: Black Limba body and neck (set neck)

Ebony fretboard (no inlays)

25.5" scale with 22 jumbo frets

EMG 81/85 (maybe with 25db boost?, not sure yet)

T-O-M bridge (black hardware)

B)

I started work on this one a few months back so here's what I've got done so far.....

This is the 1 piece Black Limba body blank I brought from Rich (fryovanni)

Body shape cut out

This is some good lookin' wood :D

Bridge pickup routed

Shot of the rear

I was originally planning on using some Santos Rosewood but after my supplier let me down I decided to buy this nice 2 piece Limba neck blank from Will (Soundat11)

Neck blank 1

Neck blank 2

Neck cut to shape and truss rod channel routed, starting to look like a guitar :D

Headstock veneer

Roughing out the nut/heel areas of the neck

The neck shaping is nearly complete now....

limbaneckj022.jpg

I hope to get time to route the neck pocket, neck pickup, etc, this week, I'll post some more pics then :DB)

hey, wow, man. i like that a lot. i can't wait to see more. the heel is neat, you put some sort of other-type wood in there? i like it

Yeah, I decided at the last minute to add a thin piece of Ebony between the Limba at the heal, I really like the way it turned out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll say it again, that body style is perfect and now I see the headstock style and it's perfect to:-)

I'm impressed to see how the neck wood looks since you've shaped it. I normally just deal with rectangular pieces of wood, so it's nice to see what's "inside" when they're actually carved and shaped.

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product (clear or Tobacco Sunburst?)

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product (clear or Tobacco Sunburst?)

Clear for sure, I've not made my mind up 100% yet but I'll probably go for a satin finish on the neck and gloss on the body.

I finally found the time to route the neck pocket this afternoon, I'll post some more pictures over the next couple of days :D

Clear for sure, I've not made my mind up 100% yet but I'll probably go for a satin finish on the neck and gloss on the body.

I finally found the time to route the neck pocket this afternoon, I'll post some more pictures over the next couple of days :D

Awesome, lovin' that Black Limba. What's it like to work with?

Awesome, lovin' that Black Limba. What's it like to work with?

The Black Limba is a dream to work with, it routes very cleanly and sanding takes no time at all.

As you can see the neck pocket and pickup have been routed. Everything's gone smoothly so far, the neck access is going to be even better than I'd expected, I'll have no problem hitting those high notes :D

july006.jpg

Simo, looking very good so far.

I'm watching this with great interest as I have a nice one piece black limba body blank and a black limba neck blank in the garage (er, I mean my workshop).

Keep the pics coming.

• 1 month later...

Not much work has taken place since the last update I'm afraid, I've done some more sanding on the neck and drilled the tuner holes...that's about it. I've just ordered the bridge and some string ferules, once they're here I can finish up any drilling/routing and get the neck glued, etc.

• 8 months later...

Woah...long time no update... I'd abandoned this project over the winter while I was busy with other things, and then I kind of got side-tracked with building my 6 string bass :D There's not really a lot to update on, apart from fretting the neck I haven't done a great deal since the last time I posted. I did have a bit of a disaster while drilling the ferrule holes on the top of the guitar, my cheap piece of s*** drill press (now replaced) was to blame and the result was 2 holes that were slightly out of line, although it probably wouldn't be very noticeable, being a perfectionist I wasn't too happy :DB) but I've made up a small plate out of Ebony that will sit on top of the body and house the ferrules, after the initial panic it actually turned out quite well.

i love the look of black limba.

Have you tried the emg booster? if not ..you should, before instaling it.

I have it on one of my 81/85 guitars and peronally i find it useless. Thats my opinion.

No, I've not tried the booster but I can say for definite now that I won't be using one, I now have a Pod XT Live pedal so I've got no real use for any sort of onboard gizmo's. In fact I doubt I'll end up using EMG's pickups in this guitar, I brought an Ibanez SZ with an 81/85 set a few months ago, although I do really like the EMG's I prefer to have different pickups in all my guitars, just to give me a bit more variety.

• 2 months later...