Building a Body

Jon Bell

Hi,

I'm planning on building my first body from an ash blank soon. I was wondering what are the minimum tools you need to do a good job? I'm not really talking about hand tools but power tools. I'm getting ready to invest some money but I don't want to buy something I don't need.

I'm guessing I wil need a router, some kind of belt sander and a band saw. Is this right?

Thanks,

Jon

yeah a jigsaw doesn't cut at a 90 degree angle.the blade tends to move to the side while cutting around corners.

not only that, but cutting mahogany with that thing is a bitch. Very time consuming, and it kinda beats up your hand after a while. Not to mention that with the blade heat, your risk burn marks on your wood (I got a few of those in the process).

I've only tried one time to cut a body out with a jigsaw.. never again..lol.. only because having access to a bandsaw and using a jigsaw is ummm.. we'll.. just stupid.. lol.. but whatever will get the job done.. just got to be willing to do more sanding, and not cut anywhere close to the line to make sure you have enough wood to correct the angle the blade will make on the edges... But as long as it gets the job done and that's the best thing you have access to.. then i don't see a reson why it can't be used with good results.

The JS shape the same as S series, only the S series have a different kind of carved top, you can dowload that from guitarbuild.com, but the knobs and swtich on the JS are different then the S... the S seris is closer to RG for knob placement, and the switch is closer to the knobs... oh and the input... i think you're just going to have to wing that part, hope that helps

Derek.

I would also agree that a bandsaw is a very big help. I have a 14" JET bandsaw and really love it. I'm not sure about the smaller 9 or 12" models. I have heard mixed reviews on these due to the weaker motors and smaller cutting capacity. The 14" is just right for cutting a body blank. I usually use the bandsaw and then clean up the body shape with the router using a body template. This step could be skipped with some sandpaper, scraper, ... The bandsaw and the router are my most used power tools :D . I wish I had a better table saw B) .

That kicks ass! I was just thinking about exactly the same thing. I've been drawing round my JS10th on bits of extra large card trying to get a nice neat profile, this ought to save a bit of time!

I would like to ask a question also. I am going to pick up a spokeshave for shaping the body but was wondering about which kind to get. I saw a video of a guy from Fine Woodworking saying the new ones like those made by Record, with the butter-fly like handles that lean up slighty, tend to try and flip over because of the blade to fingers distance.

Do any of you have any expirience with spokeshaves and could recommend one or any advice? I don't want to spend 20 pounds+ on a tool I'll only use for a few hours, so I was going to pick one up second hand. The variety seems to be those made entirely from one piece of wood, with the blade holder and handles formed from the one piece alone. And those sold by companies like Record, with the butter-fly like handles. A hybrid of the two appears sometimes, it is made from cast metal and the handles are thin, but parallel to the body, like the one piece wooden ones.

I figured I'd add this to this posting rather than start a new one to save some space and because I consider the spokeshave of a similar importance to some of the power tools. And at 20 pounds+ they're not very cheap bought brand new.

Any advice about them would be great since they seem like -the- tool for forming the curvy bits.

Thanks,

John

I found my spokeshave improved from a great tool to an excellent tool when I found out how to hold it properly. The handles aren't really for grip. I grip the body of the shave with my finger and thumb, and just lightly rest my other fingers along the handles, which really improves your control over the cutting angle and stops the shave grabbing or tipping.

I use both a wooden shave which belonged to my grandfather, and a stanley model makers shave like this one. Both are excellent tools, though I prefer the stanley, probably because I've yet to completely master the wooden shave.

Thanks Setch, that's exactly the kind I was thinking of, the Stanley I mean. I'll get one of that style and give it a go anyway. I'll see if the technician or my neighbour will lap the edge for me to make it nice and pointy. On the video the guy said to help make smoother cuts he'd suggest cutting on an angle, rather than trying to cut with the entire blade at once (Image how a lawn mower's blades cut), and that seemed to work for him.

Another annoying question... I've barely used TurboCad in my entirely life... how the heck do I get the JS schematic to the right size? If I try to print it as is, it tries to run off two hundred b'zillion pages from the printer. If I set the measurments to millimeters, then click fit to page, it says it's about 1:5 scaled down. 1:5 seems somewhere closer than a forest of paper, but that's still a lot of paper just to cover a guitar body and headstock.

What stupid, embarassingly simple, click box option am I missing? :D